Head Gasket

vader t

Just got my car back from my Turbo Mechanic and had a set of Slightly used Champion Irons installed with a 206 cam. Car ran good on the way home, but at 15lbs of boost with Red's 93 chip in, it started "popping" under WOT. Didn't have my scan tool with me but like i said i was only running 15lbs. Anyway, pulled the oil dipstick and .....you guessed it .... milky brown oil. After a few choice words i called my mechanic and he's afraid something didn't seal properly. What do you guys think i need to do? I'm just hoping those heads don't have any issues.

Originally posted by vader t
Just got my car back from my Turbo Mechanic and had a set of Slightly used Champion Irons installed with a 206 cam. Car ran good on the way home, but at 15lbs of boost with Red's 93 chip in, it started "popping" under WOT. Didn't have my scan tool with me but like i said i was only running 15lbs. Anyway, pulled the oil dipstick and .....you guessed it .... milky brown oil. After a few choice words i called my mechanic and he's afraid something didn't seal properly. What do you guys think i need to do? I'm just hoping those heads don't have any issues.

Ask him if he used thread sealer (not just lube) on the head bolts.

;)

I hope you didn't get screwed on those "slightly used heads". A buddy of mine did, and there really isn't anything you can do about it from a legal point of view unfortunately. Hopefully it's not nothing serious.

When you get those heads off again do yourself a favor and have a machine shop shave the bottom side smooth and have them magnafluxed to be sure there isn't any small cracks. Then be sure to use the sealer on the head bolts that enter the water jackets.

I don't think the heads themselves have a crack at least i hope not, bought them from a good member. I'll check with "turbo bob" and make sure he did use the sealer.

Are these heads cut for the Fel-Pro Loc-Wire gaskets? If so, they have to be maticulously installed, with precaution. Some folks have had "sealing" issues when using the Loc-Wire. However, I'm on my second motor with them, and have had great, "leak free" results with 'em.
I've never used thread sealant on the bolts either, but I know many people have had to, and there's certainly nothing wrong with doing it. As long as it doesn't hinder your torquing specs, I agree it should be used for a fail-safe.

Damn that sux...sorry to hear about your bad luck. Hopefully you can get it all worked out OK.

Do you know what kind of head gaskets he used?

The heads were orginally built to use loc wire but then had it machined off. Hopefully, thats not what caused my issue? This is the first anything i've bought used for the car.... go figure. Hopefully, its just some coolant around one bolt. The car isn't smoking and still runs and idles fine so i don't think its getting into the cylinders.

how hard were you running it?

heads, cam, turbo & 15 lbs boost on pump gas can cause problems....maybe a head gasket?

I stood on naturally after i got it, i do have alky so i doubt it was a detonation prob. and with the 93 chip i really don't think i was to lean especially since it was pig fat when i drove it in prior to the heads.

The heads were orginally built to use loc wire but then had it machined off. Hopefully, thats not what caused my issue? This is the first anything i've bought used for the car.... go figure. Hopefully, its just some coolant around one bolt. The car isn't smoking and still runs and idles fine so i don't think its getting into the cylinders.

You had the lockwire grooves machined off???? Man oh man, that must have taken a LOT of material off doing that.

I'd bet your compression ratio is sky high!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I kinda thought the same thing...wouldn't you have to shave a LOT of material off to get rid of the loc wire grooves??? :confused:

I thought most people filled them in with JB weld , etc. Shaving them may have created a 10:1 compression ratio or something like that...

I live in New Albany and work in Newark, I race at Trails every Wed and hope to be at test and tune this Sunday. Bob Martin is the tech who works on the GN, and he is very good. Spoke with him today and we think it was a defective gasket. All the bolts were fine, the gasket around #3 cylinder is fubar'd. Hopefully, it be back together tomorrow.

I live in New Albany and work in Newark, I race at Trails every Wed and hope to be at test and tune this Sunday. Bob Martin is the tech who works on the GN, and he is very good. Spoke with him today and we think it was a defective gasket. All the bolts were fine, the gasket around #3 cylinder is fubar'd. Hopefully, it be back together tomorrow.

I still think you better completely re-calculate your compression ratio!!!!!!!!! based on taking the heads down that far, it wouldn't suprise me one bit if you're pushing well over 10:1

Vader...I'll be at trails Sunday,hope the weather holds out..i'll be in my 87gn...see you there!