Head gasket pics

Major Nutz

Got the heads off and found this. It's about to get fun! Is there anything I should do before I put it back together?

Attachments

• 4-7-07 006.jpg
    4-7-07 006.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 437
  • 4-7-07 007.jpg
    4-7-07 007.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 449
Is there anything I should do before I put it back together?
Yes...

Get new gaskets. :p

Seriously though, if you're still using stock head bolts, either get a new set from GM or buy an ARP set. Do not reuse the OEM TTY bolts.

Yes...

Get new gaskets. :p

Seriously though, if you're still using stock head bolts, either get a new set from GM or buy an ARP set. Do not reuse the OEM TTY bolts.

ARP studs are on the list. ARP bolts were on it. I'm worried about the missing gasket material stopping up the pick up.

what's the number on those gaskets ? the fire ring looks very small/thin for a turbo head gasket ? maybe it's the pics .

I take it it blew to the valley?
Ditto on the oil pan check. You may want to also check the heads for flatness and clean the piston tops with a soft rotating wire brush.

If you wre runing AF and got it through, pull the motor.
You'll be glad you did.

blown gaskets

Here is a picture of mine.Make sure you put a new set of rod bearings or they will go bad due to detonation from blowing head gaskets...

Attachments

• my car 327.jpg
    my car 327.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 365
drop pan!!!! what the hell happened? i see you have alky

Never,ever race when the gauge is on E. 25# of boost+no fuel=Costly mistake on my part, but I couldn't resist.:mad: Lesson learned.
Pan will be off in the morning. Heads will go to be magnafluxed for cracks.

Here is a picture of mine.Make sure you put a new set of rod bearings or they will go bad due to detonation from blowing head gaskets...

Yours blew out all over the place! What gaskets did you go back with? I don't think I can use cometics because of the deck finish. Just curious.

Were you running water or anti-freeze? See some milkshake, and if there's coolant in that slush, bearings are bye bye....

For gaskets, I'd go with the 9441PT Felpros- no magic, they just work.

If you've already got ARP studs, no reason to change.

Were you running water or anti-freeze? See some milkshake, and if there's coolant in that slush, bearings are bye bye....

For gaskets, I'd go with the 9441PT Felpros- no magic, they just work.

If you've already got ARP studs, no reason to change.

Yes, I was running anti-freeze. Guess I'll be replacing rod & main bearing.
Keep the tips comming. I don't want to miss anything.
Thanks,
Mike

Drop the pan and inspect before you jump to conclusions. If you shut it down right after it happened, you may not have damaged the bearings. If you drove it home............all bets are off!!

Dave

Drop the pan and inspect before you jump to conclusions. If you shut it down right after it happened, you may not have damaged the bearings. If you drove it home............all bets are off!!

Dave

Will do. I drove it farther than I should have before deciding to call a tow truck:mad: probably a couple of miles trying to make it home.