Head Gasket blew. Now what to do?

tapatalk_1464509799200.jpeg

Gentlemen, great comments/opinions...... For me it's easy, it's all about the Benjamins......and the v6 cost compared to hp is a lot more $$$$ then the same hp level in an LS. Simple fact! First of all, I don't give a rats ass or even two for that matter about "original/originality" bla bla bla bla.....bla bla bla......or bla bla bla or anything else for that matter about original GN's. All you "original" people out there with your original GN's, god bless ya, nice to see some people like that kinda stuff. I guess that's why we have the Smithsonian! But before y'all comment on my opinion y'all need to take a look at your own "signature" because every one of them is modified! Why? Why are all your cars modified? I've asked this question in the past and nobody/no one ever anwers it. What about the " inherent value?" What about originality?" What's Inherent value or originality gonna do for you when you get beat by an Acura TL TypeS? Will/does it make you feel better that your car is original? Do you hold an appraisal price out the window afterwards and say, but my car is worth this much $$$$$? Who cares.....you just got beat by an Acura! Pathetic...... I've beaten several stock GN's with my TypeS and they all drove away in shame....... Made me feel sad because I own one myself.

~JM~, let me get this straight a GN with a turbo LS motor isn't a turbo regal? What is it then? It's a faster turbo regal is what it is...... I like to see/read about people who've modified their GN's to make them faster, it keeps them relevant in the "muscle car conversation." Who cares what's under the hood. Only people that know what's in my GN are the people I share that with. I don't give a shit about the rest of them. Think all the Supras out there are all stock? Guess again.....Think the people who own them care? Guess again......they don't!

Ultimately It's just cheaper to go LS then v6. I have $11,050 in just my block, crank, rods, pistons, and my crank balanced. And then there's the rest of the shit..... Heads, cam, lifters, intake, front cover, machine work.......labor...... I could have done an entire LS motor for that cost and at the same hp level.

Fast86gn, not bitching at all. Just want to inform the OP there's better and cheaper options out there. Also, Neon was for my dogs. It's what I used to take them out.

Attachments

• IMG_2654.JPG
    IMG_2654.JPG
    637.3 KB · Views: 81
Gentlemen, great comments/opinions...... For me it's easy, it's all about the Benjamins......and the v6 cost compared to hp is a lot more $$$$ then the same hp level in an LS. Simple fact! First of all, I don't give a rats ass or even two for that matter about "original/originality" bla bla bla bla.....bla bla bla......or bla bla bla or anything else for that matter about original GN's. All you "original" people out there with your original GN's, god bless ya, nice to see some people like that kinda stuff. I guess that's why we have the Smithsonian! But before y'all comment on my opinion y'all need to take a look at your own "signature" because every one of them is modified! Why? Why are all your cars modified? I've asked this question in the past and nobody/no one ever anwers it. What about the " inherent value?" What about originality?" What's Inherent value or originality gonna do for you when you get beat by an Acura TL TypeS? Will/does it make you feel better that your car is original? Do you hold an appraisal price out the window afterwards and say, but my car is worth this much $$$$$? Who cares.....you just got beat by an Acura! Pathetic...... I've beaten several stock GN's with my TypeS and they all drove away in shame....... Made me feel sad because I own one myself.

~JM~, let me get this straight a GN with a turbo LS motor isn't a turbo regal? What is it then? It's a faster turbo regal is what it is...... I like to see/read about people who've modified their GN's to make them faster, it keeps them relevant in the "muscle car conversation." Who cares what's under the hood. Only people that know what's in my GN are the people I share that with. I don't give a shit about the rest of them. Think all the Supras out there are all stock? Guess again.....Think the people who own them care? Guess again......they don't!

Ultimately It's just cheaper to go LS then v6. I have $11,050 in just my block, crank, rods, pistons, and my crank balanced. And then there's the rest of the shit..... Heads, cam, lifters, intake, front cover, machine work.......labor...... I could have done an entire LS motor for that cost and at the same hp level.

Fast86gn, not bitching at all. Just want to inform the OP there's better and cheaper options out there. Also, Neon was for my dogs. It's what I used to take them out.
Chris, I like you. You are definitely one of the more colorful characters on this forum. I'm always happy to see your posts.

I obviously also don't give originality much of a thought when modifying my Buick. I am glad though that others do. If I had a nice stocker to maintain originality in addition to my twin turbo car, I would. But I can't do both. So, I see your point.

But I most certainly disagree on more than a few other things. I'm just too lazy to list them all out right now.

I just don't get the LS in a Buick thing. Now don't get me wrong the LS is a good starting point and they can make good HP. But the GN is worth more with a V6. Every time the LS is brought up it is because how cheap it is compared to a v6 , so why wouldn't you sell the Buick and put the LS into an Olds Cutlas or Monte Carlo SS, now that would be a sleeper. However I have always said " if you find something cheap and fun let me know because I want to buy 2 of it" Everything I toy with end up being expensive. Just a thought. To the op, the answer and help to your situation is on this form.

Cool pic... a dog in a dog. lol To me being original is keeping the Buick 6, mods are mods almost everyone mods their cars. My V6 build was not cheap but what is now days? So you look to spend what on a LS build in your GN? 10K 15K?? I don't think it is as cheap as you think unless its a junk yard motor and you slap it in as is?

To each their own...

Cool pic... a dog in a dog. lol To me being original is keeping the Buick 6, mods are mods almost everyone mods their cars. My V6 build was not cheap but what is now days? So you look to spend what on a LS build in your GN? 10K 15K?? I don't think it is as cheap as you think unless its a junk yard motor and you slap it in as is?

To each their own...

You are so right, almost everyone does some mods. Back in my day the 1960's, they were call a day Two car. Buy a hot car bring it home look at it the rest of the day. On day two you start the mods

You know we're all car enthusiasts. If we all had the same taste in cars we'd all be bored stiff. I go to car shows for one specific purpose. To see what others have created with what they drive. So the LS swap has been over done. Why not fab a Coyote motor in it. I fell in love the the GN for one and only one reason, even before I knew it's potential. It looked so f-ing sexy going down the road. Everything was black. I was blown away for that reason. It's 2017 and IMO the car still gets thumbs up as it's tooling around the neighborhood weather it has a turbo 6 or an LS. Good luck with your build. Either way you go will be expensive but hey, we all pretty much knew they were money pits when we bought em.

How many other bone stock G-Body models routinely sell in excess of $10+K ?

I don't see the price point being cheaper for an LS unless it's a junk yard engine like mentioned above. Only way I would do an LS is if I built it ground up like my v6, and the cost would exceed the v6 because of the custom headers/exhaust and fuel management. I guess being cheap, yeah a $1,500 5.3 from a crashed truck with a turbo slapped on it would be cheap. Then use a squirt welder to melt some factory headers to work. To each their own.

I had the option to go either route because I didn't have an engine for my car. I decided to stick with the v6 platform because I know 650-700hp is very possible and that's plenty for the car. When I feel I need more, then I'll go v8 in something other than my Buick.

It will probably cost the same, more or less to get that kinda hp out of either engine. The only thing is one mistake,one little mistep and your rebuilding the v6 again. LS much more forgiving. I also have a 500 hp mercedes that will run circles around my gn and at 140 you can drive it with two fingers but not in the 1/4. Getting those quarters out that little v6 is where the fun is. Chris, you have an awesome build going and I think you be a little less critical once you get it where you want. It was nice meeting you by the way, the fuel pump working beautifully.

Just bought my GN back in September. First drive out this year, noticed engine was getting a bit warm. Limped car home and sure enough oil looks like a milk shake. Tore into the motor and it looks like its been this way for a while. Some very nasty sludge almost like gel is everywhere. So what I am asking is, Should I tear out the motor completely and build it to what my goals (600-650WHP) are for the car? Or do the shady thing and slap some gaskets in and sell? I'm not a shady guy so I guess I'll go with the first option. Whats a solid build sheet for this engine? Can I keep stock crank and rods? I plan on doing pistons. I guess I'm just looking for some solid insight. Thank you guys!

I would rebuild the original engine back to basically stock and get the car on the road ASAP. This way the car will not set for weeks or even years while you choose the ultimate path of your build. Build the new engine at your own pace and drop it in when your ready...... if you blow it up........reinstall original engine.

So if you go LS there is a new rule and that is you will have your turbo Buick impounded and will be giving a Monte Carlo with your bad ass LS motor . Then when ppl say hey nice Monte they would be right for once . I'm not at all about it being all original but for me the whole reason I am in to these cars at all is the simple fact it's different and it's not just another LS and it has a V6 that will smash on everyone's super cool fast LS/coyote . to each his own but you will never catch me swapping to a LS turbo 6 for life .

So if you go LS there is a new rule and that is you will have your turbo Buick impounded and will be giving a Monte Carlo with your bad ass LS motor . Then when ppl say hey nice Monte they would be right for once . I'm not at all about it being all original but for me the whole reason I am in to these cars at all is the simple fact it's different and it's not just another LS and it has a V6 that will smash on everyone's super cool fast LS/coyote . to each his own but you will never catch me swapping to a LS turbo 6 for life .
A Monte SS with LS swap is legit. I can agree with this.

This thread is funny.inmo keep the v6 and build it the way you want.600/650rwhp chit it can be done on a stock shortblock if you want to know the truth.if it makes you feel better do a shortblock but no way would I lose the v6 for that kind of power and if I did it wouldn't be for the ls the sbc and bbc are much better at reliability and power.newsflash it's all expensive especially over 125/150 a hole.