Head Gasket blew. Now what to do?

Donnieboi05

Just bought my GN back in September. First drive out this year, noticed engine was getting a bit warm. Limped car home and sure enough oil looks like a milk shake. Tore into the motor and it looks like its been this way for a while. Some very nasty sludge almost like gel is everywhere. So what I am asking is, Should I tear out the motor completely and build it to what my goals (600-650WHP) are for the car? Or do the shady thing and slap some gaskets in and sell? I'm not a shady guy so I guess I'll go with the first option. Whats a solid build sheet for this engine? Can I keep stock crank and rods? I plan on doing pistons. I guess I'm just looking for some solid insight. Thank you guys!

600/650 are pretty sizable goals. You'll need a tranny to back that up.
Your pockets better be deep.$$$

Already have the tranny taken care of. I'm also thinking of maybe an LS swap but I would hate to do that to a true GN. I'm sure it would probably be cheaper. Already have a built shortblock for a project that fell through. Decisions decisions.

If you are taking the motor out and the budget is there then sure build what you want.

600 to 650 hp you will need a forged bottom end, ported and polished iron heads or aluminum heads, 60 pph injectors with an alky kit, turbo something in the 60-1 or better range.

Forged rotating assembly - $1600
Ported heads with intake - $1400
Aluminum heads new - $2300
Injectors - $300
Turbo ( this will vary based on what you buy) - $900
Machine work $1000
Misc parts, bolts gaskets - $500
Alky kit - $600

So about $6300 should do it. That is with you doing the work but sounds like you have that covered.

Already have the tranny taken care of. I'm also thinking of maybe an LS swap but I would hate to do that to a true GN. I'm sure it would probably be cheaper. Already have a built shortblock for a project that fell through. Decisions decisions.

Go LS..... Dumbest thing I did with my car was use a v6. If I could do it all over again I would never use a v6. LS with and 4L80e and it'll last a life time and for half the money. Who cares about that original v6 bla bla bla......shit.

If you are taking the motor out and the budget is there then sure build what you want.

600 to 650 hp you will need a forged bottom end, ported and polished iron heads or aluminum heads, 60 pph injectors with an alky kit, turbo something in the 60-1 or better range.

Forged rotating assembly - $1600
Ported heads with intake - $1400
Aluminum heads new - $2300
Injectors - $300
Turbo ( this will vary based on what you buy) - $900
Machine work $1000
Misc parts, bolts gaskets - $500
Alky kit - $600

So about $6300 should do it. That is with you doing the work but sounds like you have that covered.
I would add another $4k in there under "misc" :eek::D

Just bought my GN back in September. First drive out this year, noticed engine was getting a bit warm. Limped car home and sure enough oil looks like a milk shake. Tore into the motor and it looks like its been this way for a while. Some very nasty sludge almost like gel is everywhere. So what I am asking is, Should I tear out the motor completely and build it to what my goals (600-650WHP) are for the car? Or do the shady thing and slap some gaskets in and sell? I'm not a shady guy so I guess I'll go with the first option. Whats a solid build sheet for this engine? Can I keep stock crank and rods? I plan on doing pistons. I guess I'm just looking for some solid insight. Thank you guys!

Any pics of the " Nasty sludge that is everywhere " in your motor, Could be headgasket sealer/cooling system sealer someone dumped in there.
Have you pulled the oil pan yet to see if the gel/sludge is in there too.
What did the head gaskets look like,were they blown, if not then you may have other problems that caused the milk shake .

If it were me i would take it out and put it on a stand, it will make things alot easier no matter what you end up doing.
At the very least that oil pan has to come off and things need cleaning and checking out to see what you are dealing with.
Bearings need to be checked after running milkshake thru them, the head gaskets need replacing if you already pulled the heads.Save your back and pull it out ,I'm guessing it probably needs a rebuild anyway by your description, if not , it's still easier on you if you pull it, and then you can clean up the engine compartment , fix the crack in your drivers side header,fix old oil saturated and possibly broken ground wires,paint stuff etc. etc while it's out.

To answer the crank and rods question,The stock crank flexes alot in these motors when you start to turn up the wick,there is some tricks to help it live(steel caps,girdle,)but you should do a complete forged bottom end,along with steel caps,and or girdle for that kind of power.
600-650 at the wheels is going to get very expensive.
Most of the time ,by the time you are done it has cost twice what you expected and taken 5 times longer.

Good Luck.
ask lots of questions,there are some very knowledgeable people on this site .

Last edited:
Milkshaked ?? I would give the bearings a really close look. I don't think they like antifreeze. As far as a LS swap. I really haven't read about many running ones. They get up into the build an the car sits an then someone like me buys it and pieces it out :p Oh good luck.. Figure doulbling your estimates for all the "hell I need that to" stuff. Talking from experience. 88 RX7 cheap build..at least $15/18k an still goin !!!:D

I think you'll end up regretting slapping a LS in a GN. I rather buy a t type,clone it if you really want a LS GN. I rather have original drive train with the GN. I guess you could keep the engine in case you want to go back but defeats the purpose of the swap in the first place. Just my 2 cents on past experience

I'm sorry in advance for offending anyone but when I'm at a show and see a GN there with an LS motor in it, it makes me want to puke. Save the LS swap for a Nissan 240sx.

But at the end of the day, it is your car to do with as you wish.

There is something so frigging cool about a turbo V6 with mostly older school technology that can still kick ass.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Well if your gonna LS it then at least do it right. 427 LS7 swap. Of course a crate LS7 isnt in everyones budget but would make you an incredibly fast NA GN.

Go LS..... Dumbest thing I did with my car was use a v6. If I could do it all over again I would never use a v6. LS with and 4L80e and it'll last a life time and for half the money. Who cares about that original v6 bla bla bla......shit.

"Go LS..... Dumbest thing I did with my car was use a v6" (n) Your bitching about the Buick V6 and you drive a Dodge Neon?

rainx w/s wipers that a hoot.john

If you go LS, don't just throw a Turbo on a junk yard engine. Build it right, then see if you save any money. Report back
"Go LS..... Dumbest thing I did with my car was use a v6" (n) Your bitching about the Buick V6 and you drive a Dodge Neon?
bahahahahahaha :ROFLMAO::D:p:rolleyes::eek::ROFLMAO::whistle:
Dayyyuuummnnnnn. You got knocked the f*^k out!!!:ROFLMAO:

If you want to do an LS swap, you should probably sell the Turbo Regal & pick up another G-Body for the swap.

A Turbo Regal has a certain amount of inherent value. Once the turbocharged Buick V-6 & 4-speed auto trans are removed... It is no longer a Turbo Regal.

650 horsepower out of the v6 gonna cost at least 10 grand. Then you have to know how to get that horsepower out of it, not so easy but thats where the fun is. Do you want a gn or 1/2 a gn. Reliability, go LS. These cars are also about the passion, its your car obviously but when i open my hood it will always have a v6 in it, whether its 50 or 500 hp.

I can't even stand to hear the letters L-S and G-N mentioned in the same day, let alone the same sentence.

I just wan't to shoot my eyes and ears out to never have to see or hear of this ever again.

I can't even stand to hear the letters L-S and G-N mentioned in the same day, let alone the same sentence.

I just wan't to shoot my eyes and ears out to never have to see or hear of this ever again.
I agree. When I hear LS and Buick together i get explosive diarrhea.