Head bolts/gaskets

bobwieser

almost out of beer
Finally getting around to putting my 79 sport coupes engine back together. I'm ready to bolt the heads to the block. I want to use the 9441pt felpro head gaskets, my question is, has anyone ever used the 87 head bolts (es74022) on a 79 block and heads? Looks straightforward, however I do have a tendency to overcomplicate things. This is a stock boost level btw. Thanks!

image.jpg

There's a length difference between the 85 and earlier and the 109 block Bob. You may not get the thread engagement issue if you use the wrong bolts.

Thanks Charlie. What do you guys think of fel pro 1000's? 9441pt's? I read the 8723pt1 is not the best choice for a turbo engine, so Just trying to be conscientious here and use a gasket that will last.

The RJC gaskets are the closest to stock and will keep the compression the same as stock. The 9441's are for the 86-87 but should work fine. The 1000 series is a race gasket and I've used them before and like them, but others have had issues with them. Hope that doesn't confuse you any Bob.

No confusion. I think I am just over thinking things. Haha. Thanks for your help. I'll post pics when I make more progress.

I have 1000's but they are 6 bolt gaskets if you care. They do still offer the factory steel shims if you didnt know, like I didnt when I built mine. They are MLS and are probably better than most think. Rock auto doesnt have them any more it seems. Might have to hunt them down but they are out there.

Thanks for the heads up, I did some looking on those. I haven't put the heads on yet, likely tomorrow, I went with victor reinz factory replacements for the 86-87 gn (#3797) and arp bolts. My heads have been milled twice, not sure how much total but I'm not too concerned with the added thickness of the later gaskets. I'll just have to make sure the pushrod length is proper. This is just my summer cruiser, it's all stock except for the 87 gn cam and exhaust. Ordered a timing cover from earl brown also