Have TA 49/D5, is a AC 9" n/l TC worthwhile?

tim87tr

Obsession or Digression?
I have a stock engine, Powerstroke IC, Razor alky car with a TA 49 and D5 and running 20 to 22 psi and might bump it a little when I get to the track. I have considering trying my spare trans and n/l 9" TC, stall should be around 3000-3200. Is this too much converter or possibly I should go with an .85 housing?

After having success with a couple other TRs, I don't feel my GN I've owned 8 years will get off the line as well with the current TA 49/D5. I did bump the timing up a couple degrees in first gear on the TT alky chip and am not sure that helped. I can always be patient and test out the current combo at the track before switching, but having the spare trans and 9" TC it is not costing me anything to swap them out. The car does run well as is with the exception of the initial launch. I also have an electronic boost controller that helps with spool. Opinions from any turbo gurus? (yes I searched:cool: )

Might want to reconsider that. The D5 is a perfect match for the TA49. Even if you jumped up to the precision .85 housing it would still be pretty darn good.

Might want to reconsider that. The D5 is a perfect match for the TA49. Even if you jumped up to the precision .85 housing it would still be pretty darn good.
Well darn, I need an excuse to try this:biggrin: I am spoiled by the great 60 foot times of the other two TRs I've owned, so I expect a lot out of this one, and had went to the trouble of adding the tubular rear arms also to obtain a strong short time. I can maybe adjust the tune and alky a bit more to gain a better launch feel, and I do need to track test the current set up anyway. The car is running strong except for my concern about the feel of the launch.

I would be curious to find out if anyone has run the 49 and 9" n/l I had contemplated, with or without a larger turbo exhaust housing.

tim87tr,the pte .85 will not work on the ta49 turbo, yes you can ask me how i know;) i run a 3200 stall on the 49 and love it.a 9 inch converter will help the launch, i prefer the 9 and 10 inch converters to the d5.i have run the garret .63,the pte .63 and .85 housing,the pte .63 was the quickest and recorded the fastest mph.what housing is on the 49 now?either way you should aim for 24+psi if you feel comfortable and everything is tuned:biggrin:

tim87tr,the pte .85 will not work on the ta49 turbo, yes you can ask me how i know;) i run a 3200 stall on the 49 and love it.a 9 inch converter will help the launch, i prefer the 9 and 10 inch converters to the d5.i have run the garret .63,the pte .63 and .85 housing,the pte .63 was the quickest and recorded the fastest mph.what housing is on the 49 now?either way you should aim for 24+psi if you feel comfortable and everything is tuned:biggrin:

It just has the regular housing now. If I tried the N/L trans and 9" and it was too much converter, I thought I could upgrade the housing then. I am fairly conservative on boost but may do the 24 psi at the track. I only ran 24/25 psi on my built roller cam car I sold. My experience with the alky would give me some confidence to run some more boost. I'd like to get some low 1.7 short times and I know what the 9" TC did in my other car at launch, so that's why I'm leaning that way.

It won't hurt anything to try it. I'm just passing along what should work. You may find the converter to be too much, may not.

As for the .85 housing, I'm still using mine and love it (been on the car since they were invented)(started life on my 49, now on my 44). All I had back when I first installed it was a slightly restalled D5.

tim87tr,i wouldn't hesitate about putting the 9 inch in.a friend of mine ran a non lock 9 inch 3500 stall on the 49 down to 11.0's,car had a garett .82 which is slightly smaller then the pte .63.getting more boost into the motor will drop those 60 and 330 times but it's your call.i have a 3200 stall lockup 10inch and the pte.85 was real lazy confimed by 1/4 mile times.if your going to run low boost, a smaller housing on the turbo with the 12inch converter will 60ft better with less loading on the launch.my car actually et better and recorded more mph on the garret.63 than on the pte.85 and that was on a 1lb launch vs a 8lb launch.

I agree with Mike here.
A 3000 stall CPT "real Art Carr" and a 49 with a PTE 63 will be a sweet combo.

You will NEED good tires though!:)

Brian

I use to have a TA49 with a 3000 9" AC n/lock and was running the Garret housing also. Plan on good tires or you will be going no where, a tire fryer combo.

When I first installed my 49 (TE44) I had the stock converter. My car left like a turd! I installed a 2800 PPC & have run high 1.5 60 foot times. I guess each car is different.

My current combo is a 49 with a Vigilante 3200 Stall. Stock internals. I think it's one of the best combos at the track. Instant spool up. I don't need to try and build boost before lighting the second stage. I don't start to build boost until the lights start coming down. That's how quick boost comes up.

For the streets especially using Alky, :eek:

Dannyo

I have a stock engine, Powerstroke IC, Razor alky car with a TA 49 and D5 and running 20 to 22 psi and might bump it a little when I get to the track. I have considering trying my spare trans and n/l 9" TC, stall should be around 3000-3200. Is this too much converter or possibly I should go with an .85 housing?

After having success with a couple other TRs, I don't feel my GN I've owned 8 years will get off the line as well with the current TA 49/D5. I did bump the timing up a couple degrees in first gear on the TT alky chip and am not sure that helped. I can always be patient and test out the current combo at the track before switching, but having the spare trans and 9" TC it is not costing me anything to swap them out. The car does run well as is with the exception of the initial launch. I also have an electronic boost controller that helps with spool. Opinions from any turbo gurus? (yes I searched:cool: )
\

I picked up .4 in the eighth mile by switching from a D5 to a 3000 stall. HTH

If you are going for a better 60' then id go with the AC and a .85 exhaust housing. Your 60's will improve if you have the suspension and the mph will drop off 1 or 2mph. If not and you really want a decent converter that you can still lock up top id PM Dusty Bradford on here. He is a vendor for PTC and they make some really nice converters. The stock D5 will work but there is some room for improvement with the right converter.

had a garett .82 which is slightly smaller then the pte .63.
Not really. The Garrett .82 will offer slightly lower bp than the .63 Precision. If running the .85 all you have to do is increase the launch boost and you wont lose anything down low and pick up up top.

Nice combo

You will like the real Art Carr 9" n/l TC think getchasum said it right tire fryer combo. If you don't go with the real At Car 9" I'll take it off your hands if your interested in selling it.

bison,you are correct in raising the launch boost to get a better 60ft with the larger housings,however the pte .85 did not 60ft better than the smaller housings and did not mph as well as the pte .63.i was thinking along the same lines as you were and it worked only with the pte.63 fom the garret .63.perhaps the non-locker with more stall would do it but my 10 inch 3200 lockup wouldn't.i was told the pte.63 would out flow the garret .82 with the same spool capabilities?

bison,you are correct in raising the launch boost to get a better 60ft with the larger housings,however the pte .85 did not 60ft better than the smaller housings and did not mph as well as the pte .63.i was thinking along the same lines as you were and it worked only with the pte.63 fom the garret .63.perhaps the non-locker with more stall would do it but my 10 inch 3200 lockup wouldn't.i was told the pte.63 would out flow the garret .82 with the same spool capabilities?

Did you test them on the same day with the same a/f? Your 60' will go down if you launch at higher boost levels and your suspension is set up properly and the converter is right. You cant have any other issues like exhaust leaks pre turbo or it will really kill the 60' with the. 85. You really need a trans brake to get the suspension to work properly. Its sometimes hard to compare a converter stall between different manufacturers also. With a TE44/TA49 and a 3000 at zero boost/vacuum on a journal bearing the spool up would be tremendous and barely perceptible between a .85 and .63. If it were a BB cartridge it would be overkill even on the .85. I noticed a lot of compressor surge with a 3000 stall and a TE44 with a .63 at throttle angles less than 1/4 and light load.

bison,the tests that were done on the the .85 housing were on 2 different dragstripes with air temps at 80+ degrees and later on at 66 degrees with the barometer at 29.52.went as low as 765 on the scanmaster with boost ranges from 20 up to 25 psi and timing ranges 24 up to 31 degrees.launch boost ranged from 3 to 10 psi with 60's as low as 1.635 to as high as 1.82.highest 1/8 mph was 92.73mph with 114 mph trap.best et on the .85 was 11.696.after pulling the .85 off tried the pte.63,even on a 1.73 60ft the car can go 11.50 at over 119mph with 96+ at the 1/8.housing swap was performed and car was on the track same month with temps within 2 degrees,770's on the scanmaster,timing ranges 24-31,but i haven't run 25psi on the pte.63 all the way down the track,yet;) car was buttoned up pretty good,blm's were 131.now with a garret .63 on a 1.628 60ft the car went 11.58 at 115.87mph with 93.29 at the 1/8.not that much difference from the pte.85 but,i left on 1psi to get the same 60ft,and the boost was lower.

bison,spoolup is tremendous.the garret 63 was like a supercharger,the pte.63 is fast but not as quick but seems to make the most power,the car would black track on the bfg's drag radials 325-50-15.thank god for m't:smile: