Have a stock open differential... what limited slip/locker would you recommend?

turbobuick1

I have an 87 GN, that came without a G80 limited slip differential. With so many different ones to choose from, I hoping members can chip in about their experiences with aftermarket limited slips, and which ones work well, which ones are junk, etc. etc.

My car spends 95% of it's time on the street, so a full-on locker spool is out of the question.

Also, has anyone tried Auburn's electronic differential? You know, it operates in limited slip mode, until you hit a switch and a coil energizes in the unit and turns it into a full locker?

I'm especially interested in the Detroit Truetrac (made by Eaton) Differential, that's consists only of helical gears and no clutch plates/wearable parts.

Attachments

• 78.jpg
    78.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 313
The price is attractive on the Eaton posi. And then there is the whole business of axle spline count, it makes sense, if you are going to replace the differential carrier with an aftermarket one, you might as well upgrade to higher spline count axles, in our case, from 28 to 30.

I know some members have really taken the stock rearend to some fast e.t.s, I just wonder if at any point they upgraded the axles to the 30 spline ones.

A set of reg c clip moser axles with studs cost around 300 28 or 30 spline.
If your buying both,get the 30s. if not 28 are fine.
Axles do snap on cars with real hard launches and are cheap insurance

I've had an Auburn in mine for 20 years and it's held up well, although I only race it 2-3 times a year. I DO drive it hard on occaison, though... ;) . I think if I was to order one today, I'd go with the Eaton.

Looking into this as well, my stock G80 has seen better days :frown:, may as well get the 30 spline axles at the same time I guess. Any major difference between Strange Axles & the Mosers?

Looking into this as well, my stock G80 has seen better days :frown:, may as well get the 30 spline axles at the same time I guess. Any major difference between Strange Axles & the Mosers?

Price. I believe they are made of the same material. moser will be cheaper.
I went with the eaton with 30 spline and lpw cover and brace kit.

Attachments

• IM000432.jpg
    IM000432.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 187
I put one of those powertrax units in a buddy's car awhile back. REAL simple install, slips in place of the spider gears, the carrier/ring and pinion don't even come out of the car. It worked great, but not too long after the install he screwed up the motor and now it's in the weeds. So I have no info on longevity.

I put one of those powertrax units in a buddy's car awhile back. REAL simple install, slips in place of the spider gears, the carrier/ring and pinion don't even come out of the car. It worked great, but not too long after the install he screwed up the motor and now it's in the weeds. So I have no info on longevity.
I had a lockrite in my big bronco and currently have had one in my jeep for ~80,000 miles with no issues. Although the jeep and bronco are both heavy, they're low powered and I've been careful with the throttle to not shock the diff as that will definately break it. There is a certain amount of play designed into the lockrite which allows the car to rock in park a bit and sometimes the rear end will wiggle side to side slightly when you leave a stoplight until both axles lock. A locker also will make the car understeer while on the throttle and if you lift mid corner will cause it to turn in. Most of these issues are small and the install IS cheap and easy but I think these types of units are probably better left out of something with power, I dont see them holding up to serious abuse. If it were my car in question I'd go with a limited slip type unit despite my good success with the lockrite on trucks.