What kind of posi/limited-slip do you have in YOUR hotair?

FlaBoy

Just a good ole boy...
Ok,

I recently pulled off my differential cover to inspect the diff and my posi unit. I have a bent axle from spinning out and curbing the car and wanted to make the the axle flange is all thats bent, and that the guts of the diff are ok (they are). When I was in there though, I noticed the posi unit looked a LOT different than the pics I saw here http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/pictureguides/rear/stock.html at GNTType.org. So i posted a thread in the general tech section, and after a few replies, I learned I had a Gov-Lok (lock?) rear... its apparently sort of hybrid clutch-type limited slip and full locker.... it allows some slippage, but if the amount of slippage between the two wheels becomes too great, it locks both together... but only under 20 mph, or something like that. Apparently its used mainly in trucks, where it has recieved a BAD reputation as being failure prone. Needless to say, I was not happy. I assumed a previous owner had replaced the stock unit with one of these for some reason (maybe he destroyed the stock one, and a gov-lok was cheaper to put in?). Then on that thread, Eric Fisher posted that he thinks this was the type of limited-slip differential offered on g-body's in 84 and 85. The link to that other thread is http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179456

So I was wondering, those of my fellow hotair owners with limited slip differentials, what type did yours come with? The 86/87 clutch-type (as shown in the gnttype link above) or a gov-lock (which i will attach pics of). I'm just curious to see if mine is stock, and if so, to see what kind of abuse they can hold up to (since they have a rep for bein junk). Thanks for any and all info guys!

Attachments

• IMG_1334-sm.jpg
    IMG_1334-sm.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_1336-sm.jpg
    IMG_1336-sm.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 122
C'mon, I'm sure SOME of you have looked inside your differential housing before... :biggrin: didja see a posi unit like the one shown on the GNTType.org link above, or one like in the pics I posted above?

THE ONES YOU ATTACHED ARE NOT STOCK!!!
the stock carrier is a clutch pack style. yours im not sure who manufactures those but its definatly not stock.

The Gov-Lock styles came in mostly trucks. Those are ok for stock 250hp 350's and such but when you start putting down some power, the little weights start to bend the pins they are mounted on and the way they lock up tends to crack and break things rather quickly.

highboost said:
THE ONES YOU ATTACHED ARE NOT STOCK!!!
the stock carrier is a clutch pack style. yours im not sure who manufactures those but its definatly not stock.

Do you know this for a fact? Come on guys help us out here. Please post if your hot air has the same gov-loc posi. BTW the gov-locs also use clutch plates so it would be real easy to confuse the two unless you knew what to look for.

Edit: Make sure you confirm your car came from the factory with posi by checking the codes on your SPID label please. The RPO code is G80 for posi. No G80 code than it was installed after the fact. Thank you.

i got this piece of crap in my car, which is scaring me now because I think it is not working properly....if i do a burn out or power brake, it all of a sudden jumps out of gear like into neutral, then the RPMS shoot up, I immediately let out of it and BOOM, it jumps back into gear!!! it is def the rear, not the trans, but I have no clue what to do except save the 500 cash and buy an EATON unit!!!!

Good luck, but as stated earlier, I have never seen that rear in any GN before yours...I have owned 5 all with POSI, including the two I have now, and neither of those (all G80's) have that type of gearing or locks....

Pics of mine:

Powertrax I am told:

Attachments

• open rear diff close up 3.jpg
    open rear diff close up 3.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 111
  • painted rear chrome cover 3.jpg
    painted rear chrome cover 3.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 91
  • open rear diff close up.jpg
    open rear diff close up.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 102
That's not a powertrax, but looks a lot like one. It's some sort of locker.

I had a powertrax - didn't like it, took it out.

I now have a gov-lok (not stock, but I got good deal on it). I've run a 1.91 60' on it so far.

FYI, Gov-loks are made by Eaton.

turbofish38 said:
Do you know this for a fact? Come on guys help us out here. Please post if your hot air has the same gov-loc posi. BTW the gov-locs also use clutch plates so it would be real easy to confuse the two unless you knew what to look for.

out of the 5 GN's and t-types ive had none of them had that syle of posi. they all had the old eaton style clutch pack posi carriers

highboost said:
out of the 5 GN's and t-types ive had none of them had that syle of posi. they all had the old eaton style clutch pack posi carriers

We are only looking at the 84 and 85 hot airs. The reason for the clarity is because I only have the gov-loc parts listed in the old standby 44W parts catalog for those two years. No mention of the 86-87 parts being used on any of the hot airs.

Hey Rich, be thankfull your not working with that old Borg Warner cone clutch in the 7.5".

all my cars have been 82 sport coupe, 85 GN, 85 GN, 84 T, and 85 T
i've had the rears apart on all of thes cars and all were the same and none were like the ones posted in the attachments above.