Has the Turbo went out?

tta983

Drove it down the road for about a mile and smoke is coming out of exaust and greatly deminished power. It has a stock rebuilt Garrett turbo. Is there any way to check and see if it is really the Turbo gone bad?

Drove it down the road for about a mile and smoke is coming out of exaust and greatly deminished power. It has a stock rebuilt Garrett turbo. Is there any way to check and see if it is really the Turbo gone bad?

Take the inlet pipe off the turbo, reach in to where the compressor wheel is, grab the center of the wheel and try to move it up and down, side to side. If you can move it very much, that's a problem.

Also, pull the inlet pipe going to the throttle body off and see if your throttlebody is covered in oil. It could be that the seal has gone bad in the turbo which is allowing oil to pass through to the compressor wheel.

That's a start...

Take the inlet pipe off the turbo, reach in to where the compressor wheel is, grab the center of the wheel and try to move it up and down, side to side. If you can move it very much, that's a problem.

Also, pull the inlet pipe going to the throttle body off and see if your throttlebody is covered in oil. It could be that the seal has gone bad in the turbo which is allowing oil to pass through to the compressor wheel.

That's a start...

I pull both pipes loose, The inlet pipe where the fins are located, seems to not have much movement in it. The throttle body on the other pipe is black inside of the pipe and the throttle body itself. Wipe it and it comes off on your finger like black grease. Could this be a seal bad in the turbo? If it is can the seal be replaced without getting a new turbo. Thanks

I pull both pipes loose, The inlet pipe where the fins are located, seems to not have much movement in it. The throttle body on the other pipe is black inside of the pipe and the throttle body itself. Wipe it and it comes off on your finger like black grease. Could this be a seal bad in the turbo? If it is can the seal be replaced without getting a new turbo. Thanks

Yes, it can be replaced without getting a new turbo, however, you'll probably want to send it in to have the seal replaced. You can try to tackle it yourself, but that's up to you. Personally, I would just have a professional do it.

The other thing you can do is check the "hotside" of the turbo and see if the wheel on that side is wet with oil. If there is oil in the downpipe and the turbine wheel is wet with oil, you for sure have a bad seal.

A couple of quick questions.
Did you just replace the turbo recently?
Was the car running fine prior to this replacement?

Took the turbo off car. Here are some pics. Oil on exaust side.

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 216
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 231
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 215
answer to a couple of questions. The car had a rebuilt Garrett put on it a few years ago. I got the car last may. And it has been running great. The only thing I did prior to this happening was change a few vacuum lines. Like to the EGR selinoid. Would have getting a vacuum line backwards at the EGR selinoid have caused this?

Where can I send it to? Or should I get another turbo. Maybe the next step up from the stock Garrett?

I would call Precision Turbo on Monday. Ask them how much to fix it. If it were me, I would step up to a TA49. Its a bit bigger.

Post some pics of the car. Any other mods to the car or is it basically stock?

I would call Precision Turbo on Monday. Ask them how much to fix it. If it were me, I would step up to a TA49. Its a bit bigger.

Post some pics of the car. Any other mods to the car or is it basically stock?

Turbo tweak chip and cold air intake. I think it has stock injectors and the fuel pump has been changed before I got it, probably a stock fuel pump. That is about all I know about the motor.

Came to the conclusion not to fix the stock turbo, it has already been rebuilt once. It is time for a new turbo. So I am looking at different options.

A couple more pics of oil at throttle valve:

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 208
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 192
You should clean your intercooler while you are at it.

I was thinking the same thing, I know alot of the oil is in there. As far as the turbo goes, I was thinking about a TA49 so I can use a stock converter and It is a little better than stock.

-mike

One other thing with the stock turbo that I took off, It did not have a copper turbo exaust elbow gasket. Also when they put the rebuilt turbo on a few years ago they used the same original gaskets from 1989. No good.

Got the new turbo installed and I have problems, It smokes out of the vent pipe on the driver side valve cover as well as the exaust pipes when you rev it up. It also sounds like a bad exaust leak sound coming from the pass side valve cover area or below. It has these same 2 problems before I put the new turbo on. Could I have a blown head gasket or another problem? Oil press is good and engine temp is 170 hot. Have not driven it yet only started it sitting still.

I just read your post and I guessed head gasket before I even got to the second post, thought maybe I was wrong when you said about all the oil. But mine pretty much did the same thing when my head gasket went. Maybe try doing a compression test and see if you can find a low cylinder.