Has anyone had experiance with SS braided hose?

Freddie's Buick

Hell No! I'm not a junior
As part of an ongoing project I need more room by the turbo and down-pipe. The OEM tubed heater hose unit is always in the way and I want something flexible. I'm thinking the reason why the tubed heater hose unit was engineered this way was so that rubber hosing won't come in contact with the searing heat of the down-pipe and turbo exhaust unit. Which leads me to my idea: Why not just use SS braided hose? Only thing is I don't know how long SS braided hose can handle the heat and never had any experience in using it. (I'm assuming most hot rodder's use this stuff for aesthetic reasons).
Picture 002C.jpg

Has anyone had experience with using this stuff?

yea. should work just fine. -10 and -12 is what i think you would need. pricey stuff though... so remember that.

I would personally keep the metal lines, maybe bead blast them and have them powder coated. In my build i try to use as much steel or aluminum line as possible, its cheaper and tends to be more durable in the long run.

Gotta agree with Aj here Freddie. The SS braided hose can still melt if it comes into contact with the high heat from the turbo or exhaust. It's mainly used for abrasion and high pressure issues except by hot rodders.

if anything, i would maybe set the end of the metal lines up with an AN fiting then run AN line to the core itself. that would look nice.

if anything, i would maybe set the end of the metal lines up with an AN fiting then run AN line to the core itself. that would look nice.

Thanks Doc, Charlie. So it's not a good idea because SS braided hose can't handle the heat either....that sucks:( . I'm not much concerned about it looking pretty, (known too many dumb chrome heads). It's a space issue, (I want more work space in that area for a thermal/vac switch). The OEM tubes take up too much space. I did get 6' of the Spectre SS braided hose for $14.83. The Magna clamps are were they nail you, $7.64 a piece):eek:!

The OEM tubes will remain in my vault, (almost everything that came off of this vehicle I've stored). I'll guess I'll have to fab something up to keep the SS hose far enough away so they won't get heat damaged...o_O

Thanks Doc, Charlie. So it's not a good idea because SS braided hose can't handle the heat either....that sucks:( . I'm not much concerned about it looking pretty, (known too many dumb chrome heads). It's a space issue, (I want more work space in that area for a thermal/vac switch). The OEM tubes take up too much space. I did get 6' of the Spectre SS braided hose for $14.83. The Magna clamps are were they nail you, $7.64 a piece):eek:!

The OEM tubes will remain in my vault, (almost everything that came off of this vehicle I've stored). I'll guess I'll have to fab something up to keep the SS hose far enough away so they won't get heat damaged...o_O

well it wont last well aganst the heat, the really good expensive stuff has cooked on me if its too close to exhaust. you will like those worm gear end covers, they look nice and are way cheaper then a 35$ -12 aluminum fitting.

Could convert to the hot air setup where the lines under the down pipe. Ive contemplated doing it just have never purchased them or remember to research it.

One other option here is to use copper and cover that with the cover. It would look good and if secured right you wouldn't have any issues.;) You could also bend it how ever you need to clear everything.:D

One other option here is to use copper and cover that with the cover. It would look good and if secured right you wouldn't have any issues.;) You could also bend it how ever you need to clear everything.:D

Outside the box Charlie....I like that.:D Question is do they make bendable copper tube? The stiff stuff is easily found at any hardware store.

they do make the rolls of copper 5/8 and 3/4 flexable refridgerant tubing. Good stuff. but like charlie said use a tubing bender to prevent kinks.

i just bought some from grainger

You may need to go to a plumbing or HVAC supply store. They sell soft copper tubing in roles. I have bought 1/2 inch before. Not sure if they make larger than that.

Well that idea fell flat. Went to my local HW and easily found 5/8 bendable copper tubing. Problem is you'll be hard pressed to easily find some that can hold temps higher than 150 F. Thats the max. Good shot fellas. Guess I'll try another route.;)

I dont understand that.......... your saying the tubing cant get hotter then 150?

The specs I read said maximum heat range for the softer bendable tube is 150F. Anything after I'm assuming makes it unstable?:confused: The harder stuff is rated at a higher heat range which can be used. I'm not a plumber, and reading all that stuff is too time consuming..:eek:

LMAO, well i never payed attention to that... probably cause soft bendable tubing has been annealed.

you may be on to something.

Well, I have been using it for AC stuff, id say it gets to atleast 200* on the compressor discharge side, and have had pressures in the 270 range... no failures yet.... but thats not to say it wont..... maybe i should pull out my charge of propane.

The hard stuff is better but the soft stuff can go 200 before casuing an issue. If you pick up a propane torch, solder, and acid flux it's really simple to put togther Freddie Do some research on youtube and you'll be suprised how easy it is.;)

So that small 1/8th inch stuff they use in some of the oil pressure guages and is sold for that purpose isnt safe?

So that small 1/8th inch stuff they use in some of the oil pressure guages and is sold for that purpose isnt safe?
That stuff is tougher than you think. It may only be 1/8" OD but the cross section of the tubing is much thicker for the size VS the bendable 3/4" or 1/2" stuff.