Has anyone converted to manuel Rack steering ?

joe_sdce

I was woundering if anyone had converted to manuel or power rack and pinion steering system.If so please attach pics.

yes i have and it sucked for a street car... Its fine for a track car, but was horrible to drive around on the street with
The turning raduis is soo short you wont even be able to park in a parking slot with out having to back up etc..

pics are in sig

rack and pinion conversion - GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums

IMG_2059.jpg

IMG_2057.jpg

nice pics i guess il have to do some thinking.Do you have anymore pics of your cage set up.The pics would help me decide how i want to do mine.

suscribed... Illegal Regal, I would also like to see some cage pictures. Specifically, were you tied the nose bars to the dash bar. I like the smooth firewall.

Recurclating ball (original on the Regal) is superior by far to r&p. R&p is cheap & gets a wear pattern in time. Only reason Cadillac uses it, is due to space limitations with the Northstar - Cadillac owners can afford replacing it when needed.
:eek:

Recurclating ball (original on the Regal) is superior by far to r&p. R&p is cheap & gets a wear pattern in time. Only reason Cadillac uses it, is due to space limitations with the Northstar - Cadillac owners can afford replacing it when needed.
:eek:

The main reason that the car makers went to Rack & pinion is a little more coplicated than that. It's lighter, more compact, provides for a better road feel through the steering wheel, less moving parts, and more cost efficient for them to make. The drawback of putting it on a G body is since it wasn't designed for it it doesn't work as well for the application.

I wouldnt go so far as saying they dont work on a g-body. If you use a narrowed rack you wont get as much from lock/lock as stock but you dont have to use a narrowed rack either. You can use something wider and have the same exact steering movement.
The reason for the narrowed rack is to correct the bump steer these cars have.