Hard starting 84 hot air

tim sewald

Hello All,

Needing help with diagnosing my hard to start 84 T-type. Since this hard starting has begun, I noticed the fuel pump does not kick on when I hit the key as it usually does. I checked pressure and with the key on it shows no pressure but running it's about 30psi. Thinking the fuel pump was bad, I put in a new AC Delco pump and sock. Same problem. Replaced fuel relay. Same problem. Are there any other factors in the equation? Any thoughts?

Thanks
Tim

I would guess the fuel pump relay. Are you sure you replaced the right relay?

Hi Buddy,
My car has two relays on the passenger side inner fender. AC and Fuel. I replaced the one closest to the front of the car which should be the fuel relay from the research I did online. The new one could be bad. One other thing, I just tried hitting the key and turning it over a few times and repeated about five times. On the last time I heard the fuel pump kick on and it started right up. Is there any other possible culprit in the equation? Fuel pump, fuel relay, fuse? Thanks for your reply.
Tim

If your fuel pump only primed how it was supposed to after a couple key on. I'd say maybe you have a loose wire somewhere or the fuel pump relay is acting up or shot. I believe if the relay is bad, the ecu will wait for 8 pound oil pressure before fuel pump kicks on. That's why delayed start.