Handgun recommendations for a First time Female Shooter

I would suggest any of the small frame S&W revolvers. If you could locate one of the old "Lady Smith" models those were pretty nice. There is more and more of the home/self defense ammo starting to show up so there will be lots of choices in ammo.

1. I would advise taking her to a shop so she can handle some weapons.
2. After a purchase, she needs to start training with it to become proficient and safe.
3. TRAIN, TRAIN, TRAIN. Then TRAIN some more.
Good training equals muscle memory which leads to confidence when needed in a high stress situation. This will keep her alive and help neutralize a threat. It's always better to be judged by twelve than carried by six. Good luck.

Don't forget to learn about good concealment holsters. You must have a good holster that retains the weapon securly & protects the trigger from being triggered accidentally. Here is an interesting video for a concealment rig for women.

~JM~

I am not sold on this frangible stuff yet.... I am still loaded with hollow points and LE buckshot...
Considering how long it's been out there I'm suprised you say that Shne. It's not long range ammo but in an enclosed area it works well and keeps others from getting hurt. The nice thins is if the target survives they'll never get all the particals out because of how small they are.:D

Considering how long it's been out there I'm suprised you say that Shne. It's not long range ammo but in an enclosed area it works well and keeps others from getting hurt. The nice thins is if the target survives they'll never get all the particals out because of how small they are.:D

Well I should have made myself clearer, I haven't studied up on the ballistic results. I have been wondering how that ammo would do against a hardened target... How many layers of clothes and stuff will it penetrate... I know what I got loaded in my p/d weapons will get the job done...

I am not downing the stuff at all. I see the purpose... If I lived in a more urban enviorment or in apts or something like that I would have put more effort into checking it out... I am out in the sticks and I have a 1/2 mile plus at the minimum before I have to worry about "others.";)

From what little reading I've done on frangible ammo like Magsafe, Glaser, Tri-Shok, etc. They usually don't test well as compared to a solid or hollow point projectile. They are too fragile & usually don't penetrate well enough for reliable stopping. Once the main projectile begins to fragment it starts loosing power quickly & leads to shallow wound channels. Stick with a solid of sufficiant diameter to make a nice hole.

~JM~

took the girlfriend out to the shot gun range yesterday before the superbowl. Shot some clay pigeons.. She loved it. had a great time with the family. We usta do it so much in the past.. I think were going to start shooting some skeet more often. But back to the handguns. We are going to the range to rent some guns on thursday... So Ill atleast have some actual feedback from the diff guns. my permits shuld be herein about 3 weeks.. Cant wait

The G/F & I have recently started shooting TRAP. Lots of fun!

Looking forward to hearing about your trip to the range. Sounds like a nice one. How many different guns do you plan on trying? If you try the S&W Model 65 like I mentioned earlier, you might want to shoot 38 Specials or +P ammo. Depending upon her recoil tolerance you might want to use 357 ammo, just want to make sure that it remains fun.

~JM~

skeet , trap same difference.. Im not sure what were going to rent, My buddy is going with us he has a M&P .40 and a Ruger LC9. I want to try out the XD's and the Glocks. I honestly might go their 2-3 times and shoot something different each time. But it is pretty exspensive just to rent these guns. 30 an hr for a lane rental for 1hr. 30 per person per lane. 30 bucks per gun rented, Plus having to buy ammo. My buddy being a member their helps, not having to pay for the rentals, just buy ammo. JM her recoil tolderance is good. She fired 6 rd of a 9mm XDm two weeks ago and she loveed it. I believe the heavier Xd's and XDms would be better for her instead of the lighter glocks and other guns , from the recoil stand point. But shes a trooper man. She was shooting 3" sabot slugs outta my Semi auto shotgun like she was on a deer drive.. We also had a buddy of mines mossberg home defense shotgun with 18" barrel with a handgrip, no stock. And she got behind that thing and schooled my buddies friends gf about how to use em. Im confident she can handle any 9mm or .40 cal handgun. Just got to find one that fits me well and her as well bc in the end its going to be MY gun, So Im looking at something with maybe adjustable back straps or along them lines of the Gen4 Glocks and XDm's. Im also looking at getting two 9mm's. Bc prices for 9;s to 40 cal is almost 6 bucks a box less then 40 cal. that adds up quick. Plus I have a buddy who always comes across boxes of 9mm for free, So thats always a plus. We will see.

Been a long time since I shot a 9mm. I remember being underwhelmed at the time. I'm more accustom to the 250gr. to 300gr. projectiles & the damage they can do. I have started thinking of the 9mm after seeing a few of the new .380 sized pocket guns. That's what the 9mm should be used for, compact/pocket guns. Use a bigger gun & you may as well make the bullet larger also.

~JM~

Your right JM. But I got a few cop buddys and their equipped with 40 and 9 and they always ask me to go shoot bc they have a chit ton of ammo that they supposed to shoot each month . We if I get a handgun I can benefit from all that ammo they have laying around. There cops in my town, So Id actually be gettting a return on my taxes haha.. I plan on getting into reloading in the future for sure.

Okay so me and the girlfriend went to the range today to rent out the Glock 17 and M&Pc 9mm. My buddy also had a .40cal M&P that I shot. Im not to thrilled with the Glock, the handle seemed to big around, Like it was a struggle for me to reach the trigger. Hence why i was all over the place , probly reaching for the trigger. I shot 100 rds through it and she wanted to jump all over the place. Maybe I didnt have the right grip , or maybe its just bc the glocks are that light. Would I be better suited with a Glock 19 with the short grip?? They didn't have the 19 there or I woulda def shot that.
The M&P's were awesome I shot the.40 better then the 9mm 100rds of through both. MY girlfriend showed me up wut the M&Pc. She really likes that gun, it fits her perfect.( that might be the gun for her) I loved the M&Pc 9mm but the handle was just too short for my meaty paws. I really really liked the full size M&P .40 that my buddy had he had the medium grip on it and it felt great). So Im definetly locked into buying atleast 1 M&P. I wanna find a shop with the Glock 19 and see how that feels in my hand rather then the Glock 17, Do you guys think there will be that big of a difference between the two? I might just get two M&P's.

How many revolvers did you look at? :mad: You really should at least look at & handle a few even if you decide not to rent one.

I've never been a big fan of the Glock grip. It has always felt like a plastic block with a long trigger reach. If you're going to make an ugly souless plastic pistol it should at least fit the hand like a glove. I am familiar with THE original M&P, but not the newest generation.

Revolvers have class, you really don't know what you are missing.

Oh... Get used to being out shot by a woman. If introduced correctly, they usually take to it very well.

~JM~

These are definetly are not going to be my only purchases. SO a revolver will be in my collection soon enough. I shoulda shot the revolver. But I didnt. I still got time to decide. I may be going back next week , If I do go back ill shoot the revolver . I have shot revolvers in the past. I shot great with them.But the M&P is def a lock. As far as the gf outshooting me.. I hope she does. Gotta get more females into this sport. Now if I could only get my mother to shoot.. She might be a revolver girl for sure

If they have it ..Try the Glock 23 with the rubber slide on grip with the finger slots. I think it is one of their best. again personal opinion,..And I still back my first thread. for a women or guy especially one that doesn't shoot
or train for a living. Revolver. I have seen well trained individuals (men) with the shakes. Frightened, scared
adrenalin pumping, panicking...= Too many mistakes easily made when there is a lot to process. You might want to read or look up some basic reaction time scenarios. Like the 21 ft. rule

(dreamn4GN) You might want to rent a Beretta PX4 storm "sub compact" and give it a try..... They come in 9mm & .40....... I just picked one of these up in 9mm and both me and my wife absolutely love this gun! Amazingly accurate, amazing feel in the hand, very easy to break down, Nice sights, Holds 14 rds and it's nice and compact! The very first shot my wife took with this gun was at 25 ft and it was a dead bulls eye the 13 more were all in the center of a 4" round circle with the exception of 4 rounds during a rapid fire... Give it a try!

(dreamn4GN) You might want to rent a Beretta PX4 storm "sub compact" and give it a try..... They come in 9mm & .40....... I just picked one of these up in 9mm and both me and my wife absolutely love this gun! Amazingly accurate, amazing feel in the hand, very easy to break down, Nice sights, Holds 14 rds and it's nice and compact! The very first shot my wife took with this gun was at 25 ft and it was a dead bulls eye the 13 more were all in the center of a 4" round circle with the exception of 4 rounds during a rapid fire... Give it a try!
RMAR- I wish they had the Glock23 at the rental range. But they didnt have it. My buddy has a Glock23 that he's doing trigger repair on. So hopefully ill get a chane to shoot that before Im ready to buy.
Scott- I really like that gun you got. I was suprised the mag capacity the px4 has compared to other compacts. I was actually looking at the full size one as well.. Ill take a look into it some more.. thanks
My GF is hooked.. we were at the bar last night having some drinks. Shes like soooo uhhh when are we going shooting again.. haha . Im just happy she likes it and isnt someone who would stear away from it .

To me the slip on grip made all the difference for comfort and fit. And I have had most of the Glocks .
It went from like to love. A lot of people hate the Glock if they shoot it only once. It is a little different.
The 23 is my favorite.But only with the rubber grips.

Ive watched tons of Hickok45 videos about te glock and he always has them talon grips on their, prety much like sandpaper on them. I think that might help alot. in NJ i can only buy one gun at a time, and wait 30 days to buy another one. So the M&P is a def gun Im going to purchase. ( I actually think the gun looks good)