Had to laugh at a eBay listing

I once read a gn buildup where dyno testing was done after each mod and the chip added only 7hp but almost 80 ft-lb of torque..... ive also witnessed a 450 + - small block regal run 12.60 on Kelly Springfield street tires....

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I am cutting 1.8x on new radial tires... don't say Im not .. ive seen 1.7x on Kelly springfield tires on a stock chipped GN

Sorry a GNX IS NOT all that people make them out to be... like I said a chipped TTA will kick the crap out of one easily...

I've seen 2 totally stock GNX run at 2 different tracks.. neither EVER ran faster than 13.4x @ 103 most runs were in the 13.6 area .. a Chipped GN easily will run that .

Are the GNX kool cars.. for sure.. nobody is taking anything away from the car.. I am just stating.. a chipped GN Can and will beat a totally stock GNX
You said stock so you and your chipped gn get eagle gt rubber . Not kellyspringfield or any other better hooking tires. I was there in 87 and Goodyear were not good drag tires. The lx mustang I had picked up two tenths in the 60 ft by getting rid of the gatorbacks and mounting some michelins. The road hugger 235/60-15 got my T into the 8.80s very stock.
So, stock to stock with chip I am sure the GNX has the advantage even with the extra boost. Especially if we use a chip from the eighties .

Anyone have a good running GnX to shut down this myth.

Don't try and twist this with the TTA. The statement was a stock gn with a chip.

You said stock so you and your chipped gn get eagle gt rubber . Not kellyspringfield or any other better hooking tires. I was there in 87 and Goodyear were not good drag tires. The lx mustang I had picked up two tenths in the 60 ft by getting rid of the gatorbacks and mounting some michelins. The road hugger 235/60-15 got my T into the 8.80s very stock.
So, stock to stock with chip I am sure the GNX has the advantage even with the extra boost. Especially if we use a chip from the eighties .

Anyone have a good running GnX to shut down this myth.

Don't try and twist this with the TTA. The statement was a stock gn with a chip.

this is a pointless discussion.. read the initial post .. your totaling turning this into a what tire race .. and that's not the point at all.. the point is .. can a chipped GN beat a stock GNX.. and the answer is YES !!!

I have access to a 86 GN that has a chip as the only aftermarket part added .. it does have newer tires on it as it has 50K + miles on it... anytime you find a STOCK GNX that is willing to goto a track ANYWHERE in the Midwest .. post on here .. then we will prove truth to the "myth"

this is a pointless discussion.. read the initial post .. your totaling turning this into a what tire race .. and that's not the point at all.. the point is .. can a chipped GN beat a stock GNX.. and the answer is YES !!!

I have access to a 86 GN that has a chip as the only aftermarket part added .. it does have newer tires on it as it has 50K + miles on it... anytime you find a STOCK GNX that is willing to goto a track ANYWHERE in the Midwest .. post on here .. then we will prove truth to the "myth"
Then they only thing added isnt a chip, it a chip and tires. I'm not a baller with a stock GNX but maybe one will see this thread and put theirs up. They might even bring their TTA, and lay that out too. I'm pretty sure there was/were a magazine article running a TTA and a GNX. I'll see what I can come up with there.
A Grand National is a pretty nifty ride but on 215/65-15 eagle GT radials it is handicapped. I read the initial post. You posted stock vs stock with chip. And like the stage one v hemi races some cars are "stocker" than others.

Well boys I guess I'll let you in on a little secret. My good buddy here ( Brian) owned number 5 GNX with 435 miles on it and it was BONE stock. Another friend of mine ( Larry) had a 86 GN solid roof car with 9,000 miles on it but it also had a cold air kit, NO cat. and a Joe Lubrant chip. The GNX smoked it EVERY time. !! YES EVERY time. I even drove the GN and got smoked by Brian. SEEING and DOING is believing !!!

turbo 89 have you done this test? Well I have and the answer is NO !!!

I think dude is trolling y'all, does anyone actually believe a bone stock GN with simply a different chip is going to out run a stock GNX???

Now if you're talking upping the boost and giving it some fuel then maybe

I think dude is trolling y'all, does anyone actually believe a bone stock GN with simply a different chip is going to out run a stock GNX???

Ummm.. isn't the point of a chip to up the boost ? up the timing ?? UP the fueling ? LOCK the convertor at WOT ?

I cant believe what im reading here ...

GN with just a chip as the only added part CAN and will out run a stock GNX ... SIMPLE..

Im done with this thread ....

I think he does. Trolling or not , he is very wrong, rice or not.

Hardheaded dude that's for sure but I have been there done it and NO the GN can't. I really don't care what you believe or don't.

OH S--T !! I was lying, The GNX had new plugs in it.

LOL!

Attachments

• 98v89.jpg
    98v89.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 129
Wow...this thread sure took a different direction. In the spirit of a the new conversation we all need to remember why the GNX was made. It was a project to make the cars 1 second faster than the regular Grand Nationals. If this could be achieved by just tossing a chip in I am sure GM engineers would have gone that route.

Thank you TurboRegal84 that answers the question where it began with a loaded all optioned car with moon roof and a chip being faster then a car Buick went out of there way to be the quickest Grand national to end all Gns

Some cars run better than others. My first 86 GN ran 13.38 with nothing but a hypertech chip in the late 80's and that was on 215/65's which would be a match for any stock GNX. What did the GNX get performance wise? An upgraded intercooler that I bet would make zero difference back to back with a stock GN unit on a dyno. An upgraded turbo that was a slight upgrade and a custom tuned chip. Those differences are not huge if you ask me. Probably the exhaust was some better and bigger better tires and a different rear suspension which is basically what 3rd and 4th gen f body's came with. GNX's are cool cars for being limited in numbers and what they represent but the performance was not much higher than regular turbo Buicks in a straight line. Even the original ASC data on the GNX's only claimed 31hp more than a stock turbo Buick. They could have added the "Power Injection" that was originally proposed and made much more power and cost much less.

Some cars run better than others. My first 86 GN ran 13.38 with nothing but a hypertech chip in the late 80's and that was on 215/65's which would be a match for any stock GNX. What did the GNX get performance wise? An upgraded intercooler that I bet would make zero difference back to back with a stock GN unit on a dyno. An upgraded turbo that was a slight upgrade and a custom tuned chip. Those differences are not huge if you ask me. Probably the exhaust was some better and bigger better tires and a different rear suspension which is basically what 3rd and 4th gen f body's came with. GNX's are cool cars for being limited in numbers and what they represent but the performance was not much higher than regular turbo Buicks in a straight line. Even the original ASC data on the GNX's only claimed 31hp more than a stock turbo Buick. They could have added the "Power Injection" that was originally proposed and made much more power and cost much less.

Mid 13's from everyone Ive seen run for the GNX