Had to laugh and walk away

1fast6

I was at a local car show this past saturday. An older gentleman aproached me and started talking to me about my GN. He asked if I have ever ran it and if so what did it run. I said, no, I haven't. He then said "so many people buy these cars thinking they will run 12.90's and take 'em to the track only to have them run 13.50's":rolleyes:
I was in agreement that a high mileage stocker without a tune was a 13's car but mine was neither stock nor high mileage.
So I asked him what he has? A 77 Chevette he replies. I kinda of chuckle then he starts telling me how it too has a turbocharger and ran an 8.9 in the 1/4.
So i'm thinking ''wow this must be a bbc turbo'd race car.
well, I walk down to his car only to see :rolleyes:a stock, ratty looking chevette with a 4 banger and a small turbo, and no intercooler. the car is tubbed but that's it.
I then notice he has a sheet of paper taped under the hood stating the car makes 500HP on the motor/turbo and 800hp with a shot of nos!:eek:
I also noticed a huge tare in the dry rotted intake hose right at the turbo.

What a joke. so to make 300 more hp that nos shot on the 4 banger would have to be about a 450hp shot:rolleyes:

Had to laugh and walk away.

You should have told him with Nos you would be making 1k hp because you have 2 more cylinders. :biggrin:

WOW! Car show people are great! :rolleyes: Car show here Sunday, a kid told me he had a "fo' fee' fo' fo' da 78 Chevelle, yo! An' its aaalllll Eldebrok so its gonna make 5 hunnah ho'se pawah" and this was a little white kid from Sacramento. He proceeded to show me a pic of a 70 Chevelle... but he changed out the grill.

car show idiot

Actually that car he has is fast. I know that guy. He's in his 70's and also has a helicopter powered by a motorcycle engine. The motor in that chevette is not a joke. It's the 4 cylinder version of a Buick stage 2. It's a carb pull through setup and the motor is iron with an aluminum head. Car is light and on n2o with the boost it did go 8's. Did you go to the plant city car show? That is where that guy goes to the car show on the 3rd Saturday of each month. He was pulling your leg. He saw all of my turbo regals over the years and knew they hauled a$$. He is a tuner guy and it's hard to believe he came at you with the hillbilly, " I gots me a big block in my camaro that will beat that lil v6 " attitude.

Actually that car he has is fast. I know that guy. He's in his 70's and also has a helicopter powered by a motorcycle engine. The motor in that chevette is not a joke. It's the 4 cylinder version of a Buick stage 2. It's a carb pull through setup and the motor is iron with an aluminum head. Car is light and on n2o with the boost it did go 8's. Did you go to the plant city car show? That is where that guy goes to the car show on the 3rd Saturday of each month. He was pulling your leg. He saw all of my turbo regals over the years and knew they hauled a$$. He is a tuner guy and it's hard to believe he came at you with the hillbilly, " I gots me a big block in my camaro that will beat that lil v6 " attitude.

Please tell us more Wess.:biggrin:

That's substance as to why I rarely do car shows anymore.....:wink: What we say to others initiated and in reply, has an impact and a cause and effect. :eek:

I was at a local car show this past saturday. An older gentleman aproached me and started talking to me about my GN. He asked if I have ever ran it and if so what did it run. I said, no, I haven't. He then said "so many people buy these cars thinking they will run 12.90's and take 'em to the track only to have them run 13.50's":rolleyes:
I was in agreement that a high mileage stocker without a tune was a 13's car but mine was neither stock nor high mileage.
So I asked him what he has? A 77 Chevette he replies. I kinda of chuckle then he starts telling me how it too has a turbocharger and ran an 8.9 in the 1/4.
So i'm thinking ''wow this must be a bbc turbo'd race car.
well, I walk down to his car only to see :rolleyes:a stock, ratty looking chevette with a 4 banger and a small turbo, and no intercooler. the car is tubbed but that's it.
I then notice he has a sheet of paper taped under the hood stating the car makes 500HP on the motor/turbo and 800hp with a shot of nos!:eek:
I also noticed a huge tare in the dry rotted intake hose right at the turbo.

What a joke. so to make 300 more hp that nos shot on the 4 banger would have to be about a 450hp shot:rolleyes:

Had to laugh and walk away.

i love stuff like this- some of the fastest cars i've ever seen weren't pretty and didn't look like they should be that fast. i'd love to see some pics and some sort of a writeup on this Chevette..

thats why I DO like car shows

you get to see some of the oddest cars, and odd people,
take it all in stride, I'm sure at some time you have embellished upon the
actual capabilities of your car,
its all fun, !:D

i love stuff like this- some of the fastest cars i've ever seen weren't pretty and didn't look like they should be that fast. i'd love to see some pics and some sort of a writeup on this Chevette..

Don't get me wrong. I know very much about sleepers. A good friend of mine had a 76 nova that looked like your grandmas car. Even said SGG on the back window (Super Grocery Getter) That car went 9.80's and we won a **** ton of money on the street with it.
I also know what it takes to just get into the 9's let alone the 8's.
My 3200lb chevy II (me included) Went 10.-10.1's with a 406, 225 shot, leaving off the trans brake. And 11.3's on the motor.
This Chevette however was a turd. If this car went 8.90's with the small single turbo that I saw on it I would bet a large amount of money that he couldn't back it up.
And like I said earlier.... 400HP shot of nitrous to a turbo charged 4 banger?!?!

I actually looked through some photos I had taken earlier this year and found one pic of the car. I took the pic because a tubbed chevette is pretty cool. But 8's with this build? I doubt it.
100_1107.jpg

Even if it does run 8's, its still a Chevette with a crappy paint job and a tool for an owner.

id like to know alot more about the motor...

if its stock, I believe its the isuzu GA1.8 right?

and that motor has like no performance potential... like twice as worse than a GM 2.5L

A.j.

This guy is out every month with the car. I will get more info and pics. But it will be after Xmas.

car show

All I am saying don't let a $hitty chevette with a 4 banger fool you. Us TR guys are always hating on v8's and what do we do? Turn right back around and hate on 4 cylinders. Turbo size and cylinders is misleading. Plenty of fast small displacement motors with small turbos. I remember when gtq70 turbos on 231 Buick's were barely in the 11's. Then guys took them into the low 9's or faster. There was a time at Bradenton Motorsports park there was a bunch of Viper's. I remember this one Tool with his son walking by V6 racers little v6 regal. He was talking $hit and thinking his $hit don't stink because he had 5 grand in rims and tires on his viper. Needless to say the moron's eyes opened wide when he saw the wheelstand that little v6 did. When I seen the car last it had wheelie bars and the motor is supposed to be a race 4 cylinder. Not a stock 4 cylinder out of a yugo built up from jc whitney. I don't remember the guy being a douche. There is a real 89 TTA that is always at that show too. He is familiar with turbo Buicks.

I respect 4 bangers. The WRX is crazy fast for a 4 cyl. I will get more info and maybe I can talk him into a burnout video or something.

I have a friend that had a chevy vega 4cyl that ran 15 second 1/4 mile. No nos all motor. Now add a turbo and nos you may have something. The vega`s motor was bored out for added power. So maybe the chevette is fast...

looks like a big pile of chit. sorry. im all about being different and unique but that things just ugly. i wouldnt doubt that it goes real fast tho. it probably weighs 2500 lbs so i should hope its fast. two each his own i guess

car show

looks like a big pile of chit. sorry. im all about being different and unique but that things just ugly. i wouldnt doubt that it goes real fast tho. it probably weighs 2500 lbs so i should hope its fast. two each his own i guess

I agree. It is a $hitvette lol

I seen a mini cooper with full roll cage padded and a ton of mods. Probably faster than my junk but still ugly as hell.

Overall I like car shows. It's always fun to meet new people and to talk about my car. I actually feel like I'm an expert around someone that doesn't know what a spark plug is:rolleyes:

OK my car show story. We were at the local cruise and there was a pretty nice GN so I start talking to guy and asked him a few questions about the car and he figured out that I knew a decent amount about GNs. Anyways he tells me that the car runs high 11's and I'm sure that was right. My dad came up to me a little later and told me that the GN runs in the 10s. I guess the guy didn't think he could BS me but wasfudging the numbers to everyone else.

My Dad told me that back in the day they would meet up at the local car wash and everybody's cars had picked up a second or two since that afternoon at the track. I guess I've done the same thing except my car is a mid 12 second car. But hey, that's part of the game.

That's it.
SR