guys with rpller rockers

xsbc63x

i had to cut the baffle out of my valve cover due to the harland sharp rockers and now i have quite a bit of oil comming out of my breather, did anyone add a catch can to their setup?

i had to cut the baffle out of my valve cover due to the harland sharp rockers and now i have quite a bit of oil comming out of my breather, did anyone add a catch can to their setup?

Howdy!

Yes! I did, with both an inline check valve and a PCV. These will give some help but, the main thing is to try to prevent the oil from being blown out do to pressure blow by past the rings and into the crank case. This was a common problem for the turbo buick motors from the get go. those of you with the stock set up knows what it's like to have to clean the oil out of your inner cooler, up pipe and intake system. What I did was to switch from the belly pan intake gasket to the Fel-Pro 1200's. I then cut the belly pan, and bent it where it was needed, to cover the bottom of the manifold. I used the black hi-temp rtv to stick it to the manifold and made sure there was no interference with the sealing surfaces. The modified belly pan will prevent direct oil splash to the bottom of the intake similar to the dam that was on the valve cover. I must tell you that this procedure is a real PITA and will not be a cure all to the 'blow by' issue but, it will help dramatically. Oil vapors and oil will cause problems.
I hope this will help you!

How many breathers do you have on the engine?

And is the oil coming out the little breather on top of the VC?

My TTA had three breathers and no issues. And yes it had those rockers. I just had a small breather on top of the 90 degree rubber elbow.

the engine is a fresh rebuild, and i only have 1 breather on top of the 90 on the drivers side. and thats where the oil is comming from. i also have the stock pcv setup too.

My TTA had three breathers and no issues. And yes it had those rockers. I just had a small breather on top of the 90 degree rubber elbow.

I had troubles with a dripping breather on a sbc ... I bet adding a 90 degree elbow would have stopped it ... it just needed a restriction , thanks for the tip ---

the engine is a fresh rebuild, and i only have 1 breather on top of the 90 on the drivers side. and thats where the oil is comming from. i also have the stock pcv setup too.

Ding ding ding.. thats your problem. Not enough breather.

Add a breather to both sides, make sure your not pressurizing the intake through the PCV.. your problems will be gone.

so should i dump the pcv system, and add a breather setup to the pass side valve cover?

Ding ding ding.. thats your problem. Not enough breather.

Add a breather to both sides, make sure your not pressurizing the intake through the PCV.. your problems will be gone.

Look at drivers VC. Go to junkyard and get another VC for the passenger side. Or drill hole/weld tube on pass VC. You want LARGE breathers. not itty bitty ones.

Attachments

• TTA engine shot.jpg
    TTA engine shot.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 158
gotcha! thanks for the picture, ill have to get that setup, where did you get that fiiler cap/ breather ?

A company called Metco use to make them. They may still.

Check with vendors for TTA breathers.