Guys with manual steering

Otto J

Guys with manual steering,Did you use your stock pitman arm? Or do you need to use the arm for a manual box?
Thanks

I used a manual steering box off an S-10 truck with the pitman arm off the GN. You can take that PS pump off and run a shorter belt.......but you already knew that!

Loosing the P/S really cleans up the underhood plumbing!

Dave

Dave, did you try to use the pitman arm off the s10?
I got a box with the arm on it,But if i have to change the arm i need to stop and pick up my buddies tool on my way home if i need to.
Ill know when i get home and match them up,Just trying to be prepared

Although now my steering wheel is off. I believe i can pull off the pitman arm and there are 4 position it can sit,and my wheel is off about a 1/4 turn

Is the S10 steering box and pitman arm a straight forward bolt on modification to a GN or is there some adaptation required to hook it to the steering column. If so what parts are required ?

Thanks

George

Originally posted by oldtimer
Is the S10 steering box and pitman arm a straight forward bolt on modification to a GN or is there some adaptation required to hook it to the steering column. If so what parts are required ?

Thanks

George

It is a direct bolt in.

Are all manual S10 steering boxes the same or is there a specific year I should be looking for ?

Thanks again

George

i believe 83-91 2wd boxes are the same retro fit, But different years may have different ratios

Originally posted by turbodave231
I used a manual steering box off an S-10 truck with the pitman arm off the GN. You can take that PS pump off and run a shorter belt.......but you already knew that!

Loosing the P/S really cleans up the underhood plumbing!

Dave

Dave - Are you saying just remove the pump/lines/etc. and run a shorter belt with the existing bracketry and tensioner? I guess I was under the impression that there was some reason this wouldn't work. I know the Champion bracket is the slick setup if you want to spend the $$.

Thanks,

Jim

That works perfect, I just did the same thing,Also works good with the electric water pump