Gun cleaning

daverr

Im new to gun cleaning. I had a friend of mine show me how to clean handguns. We used CLP and Butchs Bore Shine with patches , a bore brush,cloth and a regular brush for cleaning. To lube the slides and any other metal to metal contact we used white lithium grease. A couple questions I have is would just using CLP be enough to skip greasing since it is a cleaner and lubricant and what is everyone method of cleaning firearms???

i use plain old simple green mix it in spray bottle couple of cap fulls then the rest water, been using it for years works great. then oil hops # 9.

Hey there.... Get you some FROGLUBE. I have spent over 16yr in the Army and FROGLUBE. Is by far one of the best lubs out there. All you have to do is clean gun with alcohol, for best results, them heat up gun with blow dryer or heat gun and apply FROGLUBE. You can fire 100's of rounds off and wipe down the fun and it will be virtually clean. The more you apply, the better you will be.

Sent from my iPhone using Turbo Buick

I use Tetra products... Ballistol is great as well!

I started using Ballistol after hearing about it from Hickok45 on Youtube and several others on the net and I must say it works great. It's safe for wood grips and it won't hurt polymer either. Only problem is you can't find it at any of the local spots so you have to order it online. I got mine from Midway.

I also use Mil-comm TW-25B grease for the slide rails and it's really good stuff as well.

For lubing a slide I like slick50 1lube. After everything is clean and apart spray it down and let it sit. It will gel up and then you wipe it off leaving a teflon coating on the parts. My M1 clanked when cycling by hand and afterwards it barely made any noise.

For cleaning the bore I like shooters choice. I scrub the bore down and let it sit for about 20 minutes. Then scrub it down again and let it sit. It dissolves copper and breaks lead loose like nothing else I've used. After it sits a second time I scrub for a few more minutes and then use a patch until it comes out clean. Works great for me.

I'm lazy & don't usually like to spend much time cleaning guns. I use a dunk tank for handguns most of the time. Remove the grips first of course. Then field strip & let soak. I use a mixture of 1 gallon mineral spirits & 1 quart of Marvel Mystery oil. After soaking I run my Bore Snake through the bore a couple of times & then oil the bore. The rest I let air dry & wipe off with a cotton T-shirt, then re-assemble. If its an Auto-Loader I also lightly grease the rails. I like grease for this area instead of oil.

Check out & pick up a Bore Snake for each of your favorite calibers. They really do a good job. http://www.hoppes.com/products/ca_boresnakes.html

~JM~

i use plain old simple green mix it in spray bottle couple of cap fulls then the rest water, been using it for years works great. then oil hops # 9.
I wouldn't use Simple Green on firearms. Nothing water based. You also want to make sure that you never use a "Rust Dissolving" or "Rust Busting" type of lubricant on Blued firearms as it will remove the bluing. Never trust WD-40 as a lubricant/protectant for firearms either. Its just to thin & doesn't last.

~JM~

I wouldn't use Simple Green on firearms. Nothing water based. You also want to make sure that you never use a "Rust Dissolving" type of lubricant on Blued firearms as it will remove the bluing.

~JM~

Really. Water is the gold standard for black powder firearms. Works pretty good on smokeless too.

Really. Water is the gold standard for black powder firearms. Works pretty good on smokeless too.
I'm not that familiar with black powder firearms & their proper care. I had heard that Windex works good on them. I've also heard of using boiling hot water down a bore to flush out corrosive primer type of ammo.

I prefer to keep water away from my firearms as much as possible. There are so many better products out there to choose from.

~JM~

It was standard issue in WWI to be given a funnel in the cleaning kit so when you fired the weapon you could use soapy water to clean corrosive out of the barrel. You can still find the funnels in auctions once in a while. I've got a few throusnd rounds of 303 brit that was manufactured before WWI and wouldn't mind having one of them to clean my jungle carbine sometimes.:)

Alot of great replys and info in this thread. I know a guy who swears by froglube , he uses an old crockpot filled with froglube. he would disassemble the gun and dip the entire gun in the frog glube and let it soak.