Guess who won?

maxcom

Thanks to this thread http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/turbo-lounge/310208-poll-mod-not-mod.html and a "little" encouragement from my buddy Blackgn1.:biggrin:

Can't believe I'm doing this to a 15k mile hardtop GN but here goes! Gonna start with the basics....fueling, gauges, Scanmaster and tuneup. Then build up from there. Hopefully we're on the right track to a quick,dependable, and well mannered street machine, comments and suggestions welcomed.

Parts gathered so far, mostly from board members and vendors :

160 degree thermostat
Fuel pump Walbro 340 Racetronix
Hot wire kit Racetronix
Adjustable wastegate actuator
Comp 980 springs
Boost,oil,water, fuel pressure gauges
A-pillar and console gauge mounts
R43TS AC plugs
Plug wires
ZDDP
AC Delco fuel filter
Stock intercooler with Duttneck
THDP stainless 3” dp with cutout
Driveshaft loop
AlkyControl single nozzle, 3 bar map
Scanmaster 2.1

Still needed/wanted:

TA-49 (still wrestling with the "stock appearing issue" on this one)
Transmission and TC (uncertain about this direction also)
60lb injectors and TT chip
Adjustable fuel pressure regulator
Bilsteins
Spohn Upper and Lower control arms
HR rear sway bar
Kirban’s wheels
Tires
Interest free loan :eek:

Many thanks to those that have already been gracious and patient in giving their advice. (you know who you are)

I would build the trans to be ready for whatever you may throw at it in the future. Same with torque converter. Update now so you can "grow into it" at a later time. I say go for the TA-49. You can always keep the boost low (18-20psi) and the turbo will still be efficient. More than the stock unit at same boost levels. :)

What your building was pretty much my set-up the last 2 summers. It was totally realiable. I drove the car everywhere as if it were my daily driver. I have completely fallen in love with this car. It is the $$$ pit from hell, but I belong to it and it belongs to me. I sence resentment when I go in the garage from the other cars. They dont like the GN anymore...

You are welcome for the advise...
Donnie

I sence resentment when I go in the garage from the other cars. They dont like the GN anymore...

You are welcome for the advise...
Donnie

They would like the GN better if you sold me the TA49:biggrin:

For that kind of build/level/desire to remain 'stockish', I would skip the expensive suspension mods.... hr bar/control arms.... VERY little bang for the buck there, and lot's of tweedling to get the stance/alignment right, then the squeeking bushings, etc.... I would, however, upgrade the shocks and install front frame braces and the braces behind the rear seat while you are at it.... just my O2...

I think you are on the right track. I would say to do the HR bar just because of the ant-roll characteristics. As far as the tranny, if it is ok now you will likely not need it, but if you are going to do it, do it once and get some billet pieces installed in a fresh case and store yours. The prices on full billet trannys has come down quite a bit. There are several builders here that are vendors and they all have their following. As far as the turbo goes the 49 is not a bad turbo but I would check with Precision to see what they have that is still stock appearing but with the new billet wheel. Good luck
Like I said in the poll" I am glad I left mine stock"

Bryan

For that kind of build/level/desire to remain 'stockish', I would skip the expensive suspension mods.... hr bar/control arms.... VERY little bang for the buck there, and lot's of tweedling to get the stance/alignment right, then the squeeking bushings, etc.... I would, however, upgrade the shocks and install front frame braces and the braces behind the rear seat while you are at it.... just my O2...

X2. Get some new shocks. It may be a low mile car, but the shocks are still 23 years old.

AND...... get the rear seat/trunk braces. It really is one of the top 3 best suspension mods for these cars. Plus.... you don't want to start cracking that body after adding more power.

A TA49 turbo would be a great choice. It looks totally stock, works with the stock 2400 converter, spools fast, & will support 25+ PSI with the Alky.:biggrin:

What your thinking of doing will make for a very hot/mildly nasty street car. Totally reliable, easy driving & yet capable of low 12's with good tires.

I'm building mine as what I call stock++. WHen a stock component fails replace it with a better aftermarket if one exists.

YOur build is good but the HR bar and Spoon arms are not really necessary. The're good no doubt but you can stiffen up the arms considerably with just a set of boxed upper and lower control arms in the rear. ANd it's cheap.

If you want Anti roll the ATR replica bars are available at about 1/2 the price of the HR bar.

Add Take the money you save on the spoon arms and go buy a powerlogger

Add to your list a PTE stock location intercooler, eibach springs, RJC boost controller and power plate, SSBC front brakes, dual fans, aluminum radiator, a few other small details, and you basically have the same list of whats in my GN.. also is a low mile hardtop. Quick dependable and well mannered street machine it is, I'd advise adding the above parts to your shopping list, all have their place on a street car and will each make a difference.
I am still on the stock transmission and converter, no problems, shifts fine and spool up is very close to stock with the boost controller and garrett .63 housing on the 49. Unless your trans is having problems or dead set on building your trans and getting a new converter, i'd skip that step. If you are dead set on building the trans and converter and go with a bigger turbo than the 49.
You're on the right track, no doubt about it.

i'm glad to see you modding the car. my brother has a 15K mile WE4 that we did some mods to. With about the same mods you have listed we have gone, 11.75 on a soft lauch @ 115 with about 23psi of boost. Now from having a car just like yours i would not touch the suspension as far as the upper and lower control arms or the sway bar. we have gone 1.5* off the foot brake on 100% stock suspension except moser 28 spline axles for safety. the stock shocks on our car could get changed out but they are still working ok for the street and track so we have left them alone. another reason we didn't change them out was to keep it looking stock. now bilstein makes some black shocks that look factory but there not cheap.

Also for the intercooler deal. the dut neck worked well on ours. we just switched it out to a PTE stock location unit and it looks great and still looks stock for the most part. i would look into getting it if you can. with the intercooler and the TT wb chip we made a huge improvement in ET's. good luck with your modding

Did I miss it or was there no mention of upgrading the t-chain? Probably not 100% necessary at this stage but it's cheap and easy insurance...