GT6131 or GT6157

buickrob

Which turbo do you think I should get with my 2800 stall D5, GT6131 or GT6157? I can't really spend the bucks now on BB so it will have to be Journal. I'm more concerned with spool up rather than top end power because my goal is high 11's. I can't get there with my 6152 and this converter because it takes too long to spool, 2.29 60' times with a 12.8 ET and 114mph. Car flies once it spools but takes too long to spool.

So, do I get the bigger, "boosted" 6157 and not really lose any power or do I go with the GT6131? If they spool the same the 6157 it will be but if the 6131 will get me to 26psi faster then that's the one.

I'm pulling the trigger Monday :)

Why not get a different converter?It would be cheaper.I have a 6157 and it wouldnt spool for nothing with a 2800 stall.I put a 3,200 in it and it helped alot.I think you would be waisting you cash if you changed the turbo and not the converter.Its your choise but $450-$500 for a converter or $800-$900 for the turbo and you still may have crappy spool up.

I sold my 6152 for $700 so a 6157 at even $950 will cost me half of what a converter will cost and is certainly a better job to do in the driveway compared to a converter.

It stinks to hear though that a 6157 wouldn't spool on your 2800 converter though. Full Throttle says the Journal Bearing 6157 needs 2800 or so....guess it needs more.

I guess I could go BB for about $340 more with the water lines and oil kit. Money is definitely a restraint though, I want to keep it cheap.

Any idea what the difference is between the Limit Engineering 6131 and GT6131 is from Full Throttle? Just wondering if there is any diffence, such as exhaust housing, that would change spool up.

I sold my 6152 for $700 so a 6157 at even $950 will cost me half of what a converter will cost and is certainly a better job to do in the driveway compared to a converter.

It stinks to hear though that a 6157 wouldn't spool on your 2800 converter though. Full Throttle says the Journal Bearing 6157 needs 2800 or so....guess it needs more.

I guess I could go BB for about $340 more with the water lines and oil kit. Money is definitely a restraint though, I want to keep it cheap.

Go BB and make your own water lines and save some money.

Still need the connectors to the turbo right? Where could I get those without buying the kit?

get the BB and be happy... $340 price difference isnt that much for a car part and on top of that a performance part that will make you much happier in the long run... just work harder and cut something out of the budget for a month or so....smoking, drinking, eating, sleeping.....whatever your vice might be;):eek:

Anybody know about the Limit Engineering 6131 at Full Throttle for $799 vs. the GT6131 for $829? Not concerned about the $30 just wondering what is different about the Limit. I'm wondering if it has a Garrett exh. housing and might spool faster than one with a Precision housing.

buickrob,the garret housing will spool faster than the pte,however i would strongly advise on getting a good converter like a 9.5 or 10 inch with a 3200 stall.there is nothing like a good launch;) you have good mph already,trust me a good converter is worth the money.although my car has a gear and a smaller turbo,i only need 109mph to run in the 11's:cool:

I wound up buying a 6157 from Hartline with a standard actuator. It wound up only costing me just about $150 over what I sold my 6152 for so not a huge loss there. I really needed the standard duty actuator anyway so to go a bit smaller on the turbo cost me $75, not a big deal at all. I'll throw a copper gasket under the turbo too just incase but it really seemed I wasn't leaking anyway.

I'll pull more fuel from 1st gear too. If I can't get it to spool I'll save my pennies and try to pick up a converter off the board and put it it before the car comes out next spring.

11's at 109 :D that's fun!

Rob,

I am glad that you figured out what you want to do.
BTW I think the 57 turbine wheel is the newer version of the 31.
I hope that I did not make things any more confusing!

Well the 6157 was on backorder for a few weeks so I went with a 6131 because the order could be filled right away. I'm really happy with it. I can make 4-5 psi on the footbrake before the car starts to creep through the brakes which is much better but on top of that it takes no time to build that 4-5 psi which was my problem with the 6152.

I was getting 2.3 60' times leaving with 0 psi on the 6152 and I had crazy lag for a few seconds. Now I've left at 4 psi and pulled nice all the way to 26 psi. It doesn't seem to hit as hard as the 6152 but I think that is because there is not that big lag so it much more gradual than that lag lag lag slam feeling I was getting with the 6152.

Still having trouble running less than 26psi, I'm going to run my wategate right to my compressor housing to see what kind of psi I have tuner style. My SD wastegate rod is set pretty long so it shouldn't be too much boost at all. I need to play with the RJC boost controller but I want to get a baseline first.

So, all in all, I can't wait to take it to the track again. I'm shooting for getting there on 11/2 so maybe the cool weather and no lag will help me go from 2.3 60' times and 12.8's @ 114 to a sub 2 second 60' time and a high 11 time slip!!!

I've have a similar setup and I actually was one of the first to use a GT6131 prototype from PTE and provide feedback to them. I love that turbo with my 3k stall convertor. Get consistant 1.6x 60' times and can launch with around 10-12# boost. I've found though that it makes no more power with 27# as it does with 24# of boost, probably due to the 31 exhaust wheel and my stock untouched/unported heads.
That's also with a .63 AR exhaust housing.

i just love the drivability of my 6131,i have a 3000/3200 conv but still only leave at 0 psi sometimes i can get it to hold 3-4 but most of the time it pushes me through the light so i gave up trying to build boost until i get my transbrake next season....but off the footbrake and 0 psi launch my best 60' has been a 1.53 with a 26" slick and 26 psi and went 11.40's consistantly with my stock untouched heads,put a set of ported steelies on it with he same exact setup at 24 psi and bumped it up to a 28x10.5 slick and went 10.91 which i what i figured it could do....but i thought i would have needed more boost to go that fast....so i bumped up the boost a few turns to see just what the 6131 could do since it was the end of the season....so i do a nice burnout to help avoid any traction problems and take off at 0 psi as usual and next thing i know i'm getting it in the elbow with pieces of my center console and was like wtf is going on.......sorry i got off topic but it still makes me wonder how lucky i was that the safety loop helped out a bit and of course i wonder how fast it would have went at 30/31 psi with the little turbo that could.....so as of now i know it will at least go 10.91---good luck with your build and hit me up if you got any ?????