Grundy not covering GN's???

big_buick

student of speed
I'm looking into doing collectors insurance/registration and many people recomended Grundy. Well I called, got a quote and had them send me an application. Today I get a letter saying my vehicle does not meet their requirments. I called to see what the problem was and the lady said they no longer insure Grand Nationals due to a high claim rate 2 years ago! Is this just a Jersey thing?

I can't say for certain because I've
A) Never lived in NJ
B) Don't have Grundy

BUT I was ALMOST stationed there once, and I heard that getting insurance there is insane and most companies don't cover that state.

Sorry for being absolutely no help.

I have been with Grundys for 2 years now. I re-newed in November. I havent heard anything from them.

Originally posted by big_buick
I'm looking into doing collectors insurance/registration and many people recomended Grundy. Well I called, got a quote and had them send me an application. Today I get a letter saying my vehicle does not meet their requirments. I called to see what the problem was and the lady said they no longer insure Grand Nationals due to a high claim rate 2 years ago! Is this just a Jersey thing?
It could be a Jersey thing... or they're classifying it wrong. It doesnt fall into classic, It would be exotic or special interest. Im waiting for my paperwork from them as well Just spoke to them last week on the phone. Im waiting patiently for my paperwork via snail mail....
Hope this helps
Mike

My renewal was DEC. They took my $$ so I assume it is still insured.

Originally when I called they said no to a GN

So I called back 5 mins later to have them check under t-type

BINGO I got a YES.

Alot depends on the phone jerk that picks up your call. Insurance companies are the cheapest bastar ds going. They hire agencies to do the work. most these people are DUMB!

Otherwise it is a JERSEY thing.

They wouldn't insure my car either. I have a perfect driving record and am 34 years old and married. They said they wouldn't insure it because it's modified (stupid me for being honest). Anyway, American Collectors Insurance, they hooked me up.

Originally posted by cwelk87gn
They wouldn't insure my car either. I have a perfect driving record and am 34 years old and married. They said they wouldn't insure it because it's modified (stupid me for being honest). Anyway, American Collectors Insurance, they hooked me up.

I am 33 and married.

I have an '87 GN that is modified, and I did tell them that.

I even told them I plan to continue modifying it.

I renewed my insurance not too long ago without any problems.

My car is registered in one state, stored in another, and I live outside the states.

But, like someone else said, you could talk to two different people and get two different stories on what they do and don't cover.

Just got my packet from them on Monday... $260.00 a year for $15k agreed coverage... I'm in south nj....36 married and no accidents or tickets in ages

Try WWW.Condonskelly.com There in Cherry Hill NJ. I have them just renewed 214 a year insured for 15000. I believe the owner has a GN.
As far as "collectors registration" you don't change registrations you keep the one you have. Have to call MV and ask for an Application for Collectors vehicle status. It cost 25 I believe. They then send you a voucher to bring to the inspection station. The car doesn't go thru inspection they just check your milage and your insurance papers and you get this orange triangle inspection sticker. Also you don't change your plates,you keep the ones you have
Beware when you go to inspection there going give you a hard time. And try to inspect the car Just show them the letter MV gives you with the Collectors voucher it says no inspection just to check for milage and insurance. The guy at the Paramus inspection station would'nt pass me because I had dark tint on the windows. Had him call Trenton and a hour later had my inspection sticker. Good thing about the collectors inspection no emission test or anything

JFH

Try Hagerty. They are probably the most recognized insurer of classic and exotic cars.

Thanks guys, Got my collector application from MV (after they sent me the historic one first :rolleyes: ) I think i'm going to try American Collectors Ins.
I'm still confused though i didn't even get a chance to give any info to grundy.

One more thing, can i take the collect apl. and renewal to a walkin Dmv or do I have to mail it to trenton?