Greetings

Hello GN owners. My name is Stefon and I am about to switch over to the dark side (Got tired of the Fast and the Furious Era). I previously owned a 1994 Toyota Supra turbo with an exhaust, custom 3 inch downpipe, intake, and wheels. My reason for selling it was, well.................I GOT WOOPED BY A Grandaddy National :mad: . Now, I am obsessed with turbo buicks. Now for the questions.
1. What is the diffrence between the GN and Regal T?
2. How much torque does each have?
3. I'm 17, so are they under the radar vehicals?
4. What are some of the lowest prices for these cars?
5. Are they reliable?
Well, thats all for now so thanks for the comments.

Hello GN owners. My name is Stefon and I am about to switch over to the dark side (Got tired of the Fast and the Furious Era). I previously owned a 1994 Toyota Supra turbo with an exhaust, custom 3 inch downpipe, intake, and wheels. My reason for selling it was, well.................I GOT WOOPED BY A Grandaddy National :mad: . Now, I am obsessed with turbo buicks. Now for the questions.
5. Are they reliable?

Welcome.
So, before we answer questions ;) , what happened during the run?

Under the radar????? !!!!!!!

" 3. I'm 17, so are they under the radar vehicals? "

LOL :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

No uncle benz on this site lol welcome.Very reliable .Cost -how nice do you want it? not sure what the stock torque is ,but there isnt to many stock ones out there so measure it in upgrades and boost .

GN's all black Turbo T or T-Types can get in colors interiors are different in the GN and some will say T-Types are faster as far as under the radar i can't take mine out without a stare comment or thumbs up if thats wat you mean

Alright .....................
It's Wendsday night and I'm driving home with my dad from bible study. So, I'm heading toward Faytte, Georgia on I-85 and all the sudden all of the cars behind me move to the side. So I'm thinking...what the hell. Sure enough, it was a Grand National (my dad figured it out from the emblems). He changes to the lane beside me... checking out the CCW wheels, and gives a nod. We roll down the windows and he yells (b/c it was loud) he once had a Supra.

So we agree to give it a go after my dads approvel. Three honks and we're off. He pulls on me and honestly, with all pride aside..... I couldn't keep up. We did it 2 more times..............same results. But, I'm sort of glad I found out the easy way (before I pour all my money into a slo pig).

Honestly, I couldn't of asked for a better run. Now, what about those answers. Also, I will post pics of the Supra when I'm able (near friday)

questions

Stock torque? = Approx 350ft/lbs (if you find a stock one)

How much? bought my '87 39k miles in January for $7800 still trying to get it running right. Needs exhaust system & fuel tank, brakes, calipers ,etc, like any 20+ year old car. Has a few body issues too.

Reliable? Ask me again when I get it running right. :biggrin: Like any other 20+ year old computer controlled car.

Radar? If you buy a GN, expect to get hit with alot of "radar" T-types are a little less recognisable.

Advise- Don't buy on e-bay. Do your homework here, read, read, read, wish I did. Also check out Turbo Regal Web Site, there is a technical article that goes over how to buy, what to look for and what to look out for. Have a mechanic check it out, do a compression test, see if the intake has been removed (probably a blown headgasket), check for play in the turbo shaft, check for trans slippage, check the roof and a pillars for cracks and warpage, etc, etc, etc.

Good luck.

Also, there are no mechanical differences between a GN and T-Type, they say the T's are lighter but I have a WE4, which are the lightest I bought in high school, a buddy bought a GN at the same time, both bone stock and we ran neck and neck with each other on the street. I don't think the difference is enough to notice. And 87's supposedly have 10 more hp then 86's with the difference in the heads. Like the other replies that shouldn't matter because most are modified by now anyway. Welcome to the dark side young jedi apprentice, just got my vader personalized plates in last week!

Not to hyjack your thread but ngn how do you like that Pypes exhaust got a pamphlet from them at the AC Classic car show and was just wondering if its an ok system

Not to hyjack your thread but ngn how do you like that Pypes exhaust got a pamphlet from them at the AC Classic car show and was just wondering if its an ok system

Well, you just did ......... even though you did not mean to. :eek:

LEFT OVER RICE,
What are your perfornance goals?

86 and 87

5. Are they reliable?

Factory torque rating in 87 was 360 @ 3000rpm. Horsepower was 245 @ 4400rpm. Other than the GNX all production torque and horsepower numbers are the same for all Turbo Buicks produced in 1987 (a total of 27,043). The packages were: Grand National (GN/WE2), turbo-t/WE4, regal limited w/turbo, base regal w/turbo, ext.spt pack/WO2, T-package Y56.

In 1986 the torque rating was 330 @ 2400rpm producing 235 hp @ 4000rpm. Only three types of turbo buicks were produced in 1986, the GN, t-type, and Lesabra/GN. The latter had significant power differences (140hp @ 3600rpm) and was produced in limited numbers (112).

" 3. I'm 17, so are they under the radar vehicals? "

LOL :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

If you're looking for 'under the radar'....

These cars stand out like a sore thumb! Everytime I fill up at the gas station, someone comes over to talk to me! It was fun the first ten times, but now, years later, it still happens....

Now I only talk to the cute chicks....:D

It's nice, I bought it from summit, price was about $40 cheaper than the Hooker system. Sounds great to me but I've never really heard any other dual exhaust system. I've heard the 3" single pipe and it sounds better than that. Quality is great, heavy gauge, mandrel bent, etc. I wouldn't call it a direct bolt on, had to do some drilling in the frame for tailpipe mounts and muffler hangers. The only factory hanger I was able to use was the "cat" hanger. The tail pipes are a bit shorter than stock and tuck up under the rear fenderwell nicely. Hope that helps. can send you a picture if you want, PM me.

Hello Jerryl. What are my performance goals. Well.............I never really gave it a thought. Basically, I wanted a car from the factory that had great performance out of the box, which obviously, the supra couldn't offer. Now don't get me wrong, but unless you can afford parts for good torque numbers, the Supra isn't cheap. For instance, if you get a Titan motorsports stroker kit, that's about $11,000 and I'm not making that much money yet. If I can get a GN for cheap (worked on a few cars before) I'd probrably get a downpipe, headers, and intercooler for starters. Maybe in 3 years, I can get a turbo upgrade.

These cars respond really well to upgrades chips converters ported exhaust elbows or down pipes alky but you have to pic and choose what to do if on a budget good luck on your search if the car has some mods on it your ahead of the game also you will need a scan tool scan master or equivalent to monitor the engine

It's a bottomless pit for your money, just realize that going in. Becaue no matter how fast you are, you will always want to go a bit faster. The GOOD part is, you CAN always go a bit faster. These cars respond VERY well to upgrades. If I can save you any money at all, I'll just advise that when you upgrade, upgrade BIG. Goin to 36 or 42 lb injectors? Nah, go 60's. Get it?

I've owned my car for 15 years....and I MA STILL doing upgrades. t's endless....but a hell of a lot of fun!

do alot of research on this board, their are tons of cars on here running low 12's with very few mods.good luck and welcome to the dark side!