Grand National and GNX are returning!!

Street Lethal said:
Rich, do you hear yourself though? You sound like the guys who ran their old muscle car before the '87 Grand National came out, and they were crying about the V6 that was in it, and wouldn't sign on the dotted line unless it had a V8. I think its great that Buick is doing this, in fact, I would LOVE to see a twin turbo V6 Grand National with AWD and show those Nissan GTR fan boys how its really done... :D

I've never owned a four door car. The closest I've come is my wife had one when we were dating. Four doors are for trucks as far as I am concerned.
I have a GS455 and it is my first car. I have only owned one wrong wheel drive (92 Regal GS)and I won't have another. Great mileage but horrible handling.
I'll be down to the dealer if it is a coupe, rwd and has a decent back seat and trunk. Oh, and plenty of power.
I'll stay with my old stuff until Buick comes up with a decent car.

Well one way or another this is great news for the brand and I think for our cars more popularity means good things. !! Two door Please!!V6 turbo with A retro look I agree like the Challenger. NOT a Charger ,It would work and sell. Everything starts some where and this is a huge step..Fingers cross, I dont want a new Camaro

buick_gnx_f34_ns_112612_717.jpg

buick_gnx_r34_ns_112612_717.jpg

Too many doors!

Start emailing GM and tell them to piss off with the extra 2 doors!!!!!!!!!

Why would they make it a 4 door when they have the ATS coupe and 2014 Camaro based on the same platform already in 2 door bodies? Why would they greenlight the ATS coupe the same month they apply for the trademarks on the names. It makes no sense for them to make it a four door when two door versions of that body are readily available.

I'll definitely take one for a test drive, keeping an open mind. Plus it will probably spark more interest in our cars and probably help raise the value.

I've never owned a four door car. The closest I've come is my wife had one when we were dating. Four doors are for trucks as far as I am concerned. I have a GS455 and it is my first car. I have only owned one wrong wheel drive (92 Regal GS)and I won't have another. Great mileage but horrible handling. I'll be down to the dealer if it is a coupe, rwd and has a decent back seat and trunk. Oh, and plenty of power. I'll stay with my old stuff until Buick comes up with a decent car.

I guess the reason why four doors doesn't bother me anymore is because of the ride that I bought for the wife a few years back. I got my hands on a killer deal for a Pontiac G8, and although I wasn't too crazy about the four doors at first, it really started impressing the hell out of me. I like taking the damn thing to Atlantic City, essentially racing anything and everything i can find on the way there, then pulling up to the valet with a little class because it looks the part. Doesn't scream muscle car, but its definitely got that attitude through the throaty exhaust. Can't talk her into a set of self contained Aerocharger turbo's for it just yet though... :)

I heard the FBI had pre-ordered 50 of them :D seriously though if Gm follows through how will reviving the name impact the value of the originals?

Why would they make it a 4 door when they have the ATS coupe and 2014 Camaro based on the same platform already in 2 door bodies? Why would they greenlight the ATS coupe the same month they apply for the trademarks on the names. It makes no sense for them to make it a four door when two door versions of that body are readily available.

BECAUSE IT'S GM!!!! You act like they're incapable of doing something that "makes no sense"... LOL... I counter that they USUALLY do things that "make no sense" :p

BECAUSE IT'S GM!!!! You act like they're incapable of doing something that "makes no sense"... LOL

Unless they also offer that twin turbo V6 as apart of their crate engine packages too... hmm. It's like back in the day when GM needed help with their Trans Am racing, and they approached the street racers for some advice, thus the DZ302 was born, and it kicked freaking ass. Hopefully they're reading these forums and getting similar ideas...

There are a lot of crybabies in this thread. Our original GNs and T-Types were NOT sports cars, so why bring them back in a 2-door sports car? What the heck is wrong with a 4-door vehicle? I wouldn't mind the T-Types coming back as 4-doors, the GNs having the option of 2 or 4, and the GNX strictly as a 2-door, but I won't cry if they make them all 4-doors. More room for family and friends.

Cadillac CTS-V
BMW M5
Mercedes Benz C63 AMG
Jaguar XFR
Dodge Charger SRT8
Chrysler 300 SRT8

These are all mean 4-door cars I'd drive everyday with pleasure.

I'd like to see something a little more retro like the Challengers and Camaros did. Get away from the mainstream "turd" and get some decent lines. Our cars are dated but they still get looks when we drive them. Why not stick with what got us this far. ???

There are a lot of crybabies in this thread. Our original GNs and T-Types were NOT sports cars, so why bring them back in a 2-door sports car? What the heck is wrong with a 4-door vehicle? I wouldn't mind the T-Types coming back as 4-doors, the GNs having the option of 2 or 4, and the GNX strictly as a 2-door, but I won't cry if they make them all 4-doors. More room for family and friends.

Cadillac CTS-V
BMW M5
Mercedes Benz C63 AMG
Jaguar XFR
Dodge Charger SRT8
Chrysler 300 SRT8

These are all mean 4-door cars I'd drive everyday with pleasure.

Right they were MUSCLE CARS, muscle cars don't come in four doors. None of the cars listed above are muscle cars. The Charger was in the day, but not the abomination they came out with and slapped the nameplate on it.

Some things to keep in mind off the top of my head: (feel free to correct the numbers)

In 1987 a fully loaded Mustang GT came in somewhere around 10k dollars with a GN costing in the $16k range. That's a 60% increase.

Using the price of a modern Mustang 5.0 that puts a similar price of a new GN at about 51,000 dollars and that doesn't include dealer price gouging. With GNX's selling for about 29k in 1987 that would make the new GNX a 90-100k car in the Mustang price comparison. Though using the MSRP of an 87 Corvette as a comparison the GNX should be somewhere in the 60k range. That $50k GN price seems about right considering the cost of a new CTS-V, and I think the new GNX would fit into the 65k-70k price territory.

As much as I would like a new Grand National, it must meet the following criteria for me to be willing to even consider it at a 50k price: (I have no doubt it will be close to that)

• It should be a turbo v6 (twin turbo? sure!)
  • Straight line performance should meet or exceed other cars in that price range. IE: it should be as fast or faster than a ZL1 Camaro straight line
  • GN Should be BLACK
  • Some visual cues/body lines to the original
Issues I will overlook if the above criteria are met:

• handling/braking
  • 2 or 4 door
  • transmission choice
Otherwise, I'd be very very hesitant to plunk down $50k on this car. There is a lot of performance that can be bought nowadays in the 40-50k price range.