Grand National Aerocoupe!

Did Chevy make any red interior Aeros in 86?:confused: All I remember is that all 200 of them were white. I was pissed because I couldn't buy one because all 200 of them were sold out of the Jacksonville zone and if I wanted one I would have had to make a road trip down to Jax to get it. I've seen at least 5 86 Aerocoupes down here. Every one of them trashed out. I'm sure there is some idiot who has a mint no miler stashed away somewhere. I should tell you about the 5K 1987 442 sitting in my neighborhood that went for $15K on eBay.

BTW if you did use the 86 parts than it would be the B5T RPO code. Z16 was 87 only.

Now that I think back Buick beat Chevy and Pontiac to the punch as far as the Areocoupe goes. Anybody remember the 78-80 Century Turbo Coupe and Century Sport Coupe with the hatchback?

How about a Aerocoupe Convertible? I'm thinking a folding hardtop and glass that retracts into the trunk.:p

I have an 86 aero #14 made coming up from that area. Believe me it isn't trashed.:biggrin:

Shoot, If this AeroCoupe Mod is going on the same car that had the t-top roof removed, then GO FOR IT. The car is already modded so dont stop there :D What did you think of my suggestions? Open up the rear compartment area (with fold down rear seat) for more greenhouse area.

Anyone care to donate a 1987 non Turbo Regal body with clear title to SAVE a GENUINE GN? I have almost everything I need to make a clone except a good Regal body!:D :p :p

Maybe I'll just glue the window to the GN's trunk lid just to make it look like a Aero. I'll just loose the trunk...that's all...completely reversable too!

I don't know about donating but I have a lot of Regal bodies up here. I even have a regal that was a t-top, now looks like a convertable.
Might be worth looking at.

Wow! Do you have a thread for your T-top modification?

Not wanting to rid mine, I just wonder how much rust is underneath my T-tops on my SS.

Thanks

The rust on this GN started to show at the rear of the T-tops just behind the black trim. Under the glass tops looked like it was in good shape. Unfortunately for me, I had to keep looking further to see how bad it was until I wound up just removing all the T-Top hardware and found what you see in those pictures. My suggestion to everyone with a T-Top G body is DON'T GO PRYING INTO UNKNOWN TERRITORIES especially if you don't want your feelings to get hurt. Believe me...my feelings got hurt when I seen all that rust!:mad: The floors of the car look great and the A pillars do too.

GNROOF5.JPG

What did you think of my suggestions?
I thought about having a fold-down rear seat in my Malibu once using a wagon rear seat and hardware. Instead of totally customizing this GN I'd rather have people look at it wondering if it was actually factory.:)

Build the 1 of none :D

Ive seen an example of a GN"vert", a GN"camino and a GN"wagon". Why not an GN"aero".

Thanks for the rust reply. I am afraid to tear into my SS. I want to do a full restoration, although it has been a great daily driver for five years and still can be. But I want more. Back-half, cage, new interior, etc. My driver side floor pan is horrible, passenger side and trunk are flawless, with T-tops off the part right behind the top of the windshield is very rusted out on driver side. When new weather stripping was installed around the whole car a couple years ago my rust hole was filled with silicone. lol Not exactly an answer to the rust, but instead of a hole it is now flat with some black paint sprayed over it. I bet mine looks simliar to yours. How hard was it to take all of that apart?

Thanks for the rust reply. How hard was it to take all of that apart?

Like I said, the t-tops usually look nice with just the glass removed. If you already have a large rust hole there there's no telling what else lurks beneath those panels and rubber gaskets. There's a whole lot of phillips screws...some were rusty but that's about all you'll need if memory serves me...oh and maybe a metal scraper. An easier way is to just do this... EASY WAY.:D

i own an 87 aero and i bought it 4 250 bucks.i didnt like it but now i do.ide do it if i was you it looks bad ass 4 sure:cool:

The more I stare at the side profile the more it grows on me. It matches the GN squareness better than the monte IMO. Besides, our cars are actually fast enough to need the aerodynamics. LOL

I don't get the purist comments on the other board. What percentage of people here actually own "stock" vehicles anyway? And what percentage of SS monte carlos get exterior mods that aren't basic bolt ons? Also I don't know about you guys but I am more than friendly to any other g body owners I run into. I don't put my car on a pedestal, in fact I've considered selling it because I have no time for it anymore. I guess it's just typical chevy guy vs everyone else BS.

I would do it, the only downside is you can fit the slicks in the truck, nor can you fit a six pack cooler thru that darned hole.

I love the look, ive always liked the aerocoupes, and this looks slick:biggrin:

Just my opinion

BW

I think i'd rather see two men kiss than see a GN aero :tongue: (and that's saying alot, i'm the biggest homo-phobe you'll ever meet lol)

The more I stare at the side profile the more it grows on me. It matches the GN squareness better than the monte IMO. Besides, our cars are actually fast enough to need the aerodynamics. LOL

I don't get the purist comments on the other board. What percentage of people here actually own "stock" vehicles anyway? And what percentage of SS monte carlos get exterior mods that aren't basic bolt ons? Also I don't know about you guys but I am more than friendly to any other g body owners I run into. I don't put my car on a pedestal, in fact I've considered selling it because I have no time for it anymore. I guess it's just typical chevy guy vs everyone else BS.

One word, brother. Jealiousy.