GPS for the car

Ryan

CEO/Founder Nakslist.com
Saw a friends GPS system in action. I was impressed. This is a cool tool. Did not get the model number but it was a Garmin and he said it cost about 250. I've seen most systems run about 400 to 500 bucks. This seams to be the base model. Would like to feedback if anyone has used one. Any pros and cons with there unit.

Thanks

I run a Magellan Sport Track hand held and I love it. It is not a car mounted one as I do a lot of hiking/camping as well as driving around.

You can get a car mount for it but I just set it on the seat until I want to look at it. I can use the "mapsend topo" software and upload a region that I select. Shows street level details, food, gas...points of interest....etc...

My advice is to get one that has either a lot of internal memory or can accept a memory card so you can upload lots of data.

Also compare battery run-time. Mine says 12 hours but I bet I don't get more than 10, less if I use the back light.

Mine shows elevation, sun/moon profile, boating/fishing info...and more. Let me save points of interest and upload/download info to my PC.

They are a blast :D

I've had a few Garmin GPS's. And I love them. My present one is the Garmin Street Pilot C330. I paid $600 when it first came out...I now see they're about $275 at Walmart.

Garmin StreetPilot c330 Auto GPS - Wal-Mart

Once my wife was going somewhere without me, I programmed her destination address into the GPS and handed it to her. It directed her right to where she was going.

Get one, you'll never look back. And get a good large screen color one. The black and white ones are boring.

I made fun of my coworkers for using one here in New Orleans doing relief work - until I rode with them one day. SOOOOO much easier than maps, etc. especially when there are no street signs. We use TomTom. They are worth the money if you are doing a lot of driving to numerous destinations. - Comical in Houston - it kept telling me "turn right here" while I was on the elevated! It was not programmed for some of the elevated roadways in Hosuton.

Was looking at a bunch o sites..... wow lots to chose from. The garmin site has map data on CD to purchase. Confusing....what comes with the GPS?

I have the Garmin C330 also (shoulda went to Walmart, paid $350), I do lots of travelling and some roads are not on the maps. Another problem I have with it is that in some situations it will take you off the highway and put you on a backroad (for shorter distance) and then back on the interstate. But it does do its job...gets you to the address thats needed if it is a valid address, sometimes the addresses don't match up.

I do lots of travelling and some roads are not on the maps.

All maps have either roads on them that don't exist, or they delete roads that are in existence but not on the map. That's so they'll know if someone copies their maps. So yes, there are errors on all GPS maps as well as paper maps.

Oh, and Ryan, check to make certain the map data is already loaded on whichever one you choose. Mine is and I don't mess around with any external maps or loading extra maps. For foreign countries you may need to load another map though.

Another feature I like is internal battery plus car plug. Recharges while using and plugged in. I've had one you have to change the bats...sucks. I also tried a different brand, can't remember which one, but it didn't have an internal battery so would only work from external power.

There are two flaws in mine in my opinion. It doesn't give altitude nor mph on the screen being used when you have a destination punched in. It WILL show mph if you're just on the main "live" screen with no destination programmed however. So those omissions bug me.

Personally I can't wait for the next models.

I have a Garmin 2610. A few years old but I love it! Got it mostly for my Harley while touring but we use it any time we're going someplace strange. 99% accurate. (nothings perfect) Helps find the quickest rout or the way around a detour. Gives you the time, distance to destination. MPH, and estimated time of arrival. We use it on the bike just to get us back home when we've been riding to no where. Saves trips and interesting locations you want to stop at. You can plan a trip or just go. Has places of interest loaded including gas stations and motels. Even has the phone numbers so you can call ahead. I take it with us on vacation even if we fly someplace.
Go to the Garmim site. They have all kinds of models for different purposes. I'm sure you'll find something that meets your needs.
Garmin. We'll Take You There.™

Since I already had a lap top I got the Garman 18. It's just the antanna and software. You can up date the maps and from what I have read you can put it over google world and map quest ( I have not tried that yet) but for $120 it's very nice.

back in the lat 80's and early 90's the ari force was doing some serious gps testing including spoofing and jamming and the best by far was garmin. that what we used for years until all the other companiesimproved their design. I have a garmin and going to by the wife one here soon. can't go wrong with thiers. hth

I love the Garmin products, and have always had good luck with them. Always get one with "street level" maps included!!!!
I was going to buy one to replace my old eMap, but VZNavigator came out for my cell phone, and tests I've been doing with it indicate it works great, so I'll use it instead.

Im in a city of 2million - 4million if you include the suburban areas....

It was time to retire the PalmT3 but I had a new phone I liked so what I wanted was a PDA/GPS combo. Decided on the HP/iPAQ rx5700 but would prefer the 5900 (cant get 5900 here)

Not perfect, but even here where mapping lacks compared to US its hard to live without. No way I could learn this city well enough to not use one.

For the ultimate, the phone/pda/gps combos are hard to beat. Dopod has a new one for the Asian region that looks nice. Nice way to go if you could use all three devices but only space for one.

In the US, Sprint is letting those with data plans access to GPS stuff for "free". I have no idea how good it is though.

Randmcnally and a compass...you can't go wrong ;)

I'm thinking about upgrading to a GPS my self. I travel so much I could almost give a trucker a run for his money lol Anyhow, I'm glad I read this thread. I was checking Wally World out and thought that Garmin C330 was to good to be true. It just seemed kinda cheap. I think I'll pick one up next time I'm at Wally's.