Got kicked off of the track.

Mike70gtx

Beautiful day at the track. 68 degrees and a nice tail wind. Did my first run to see how it would do before I turned things up a little. My prayer was to get in the 10's and "get kicked off" of the track for no roll cage. I need to pray more specific. I got kicked off of the track because my car would leak coolant after I'd do a burnout. I can't see any leaking and my temp is good. It must be happening under boost. I also noticed quite a bit of foam in my radiator. I am running rm-25 and no antifreeze. Can you get something at the parts stores to pressurize the system to see if there are any leaks? Could this be something to do with an intake gasket?

sounds like the start of a head gasket failure. You should be able to get a pressure tester at your local Autozone. Good luck
Bryan

Yea it's a coolant system pressure tester. When you get it just make sure you test the radiator cap FIRST... then pressure up the radiator. I would pull the spark plugs and take a look if your getting coolant into the cylinder the plug will look much cleaner than the others. Good luck Jon Hanson

Just saw you live in Texarkana. I used to and will be traveling there in the morning. If you would like I can throw mine in the truck and we could meet up. Give me a ring tomorrow 281-802-2565

I DON'T EVEN HAVE AN OIL CHANGE ON THESE HEADGASKETS. I'm talking real loud so I can't hear you. My temps look real good and there is no bubbling in my overflow. I had to drive it back home for about 70 miles and it did great. I guess I'll do the test yo find out and I'll believe for the best.

It might be something simple like a heater hose hopefully. I agree get the system pressure tested see where it is leaking. Isn't it more common for the head gaskets to break between the cylinders anyway?

I DON'T EVEN HAVE AN OIL CHANGE ON THESE HEADGASKETS. I'm talking real loud so I can't hear you. My temps look real good and there is no bubbling in my overflow. I had to drive it back home for about 70 miles and it did great. I guess I'll do the test yo find out and I'll believe for the best.

Shouting doesnt make it go away:biggrin:

That would really suck but it happens. I have had a hell of a time getting my new cometics to seal and just may take them out. They are a pain in the a$$.
Bryan

This is just my opinion, boost is getting into the coolant system and blowing it out the overflow, head gasket.... may want to check if the block and heads are flat with a straight edge before next gasket reassemble. I torqued my heads to 75 lbs using ARP studs and ARP molly, with felpro gaskets. I think that I was only to torque to 60 couple using molly but sometimes I don't follow the directions :wink:
My buddy's buick turbo would run fine also with the head gaskets going south, but under boost they would leak(bubbles in the coolant), we concluded that he should have retorqued the heads, after the engine cycled a couple of times or over torqued them to start.

Chuck

Head gasket time . Under high i once leaked water regular driving car seemed normal no leaks and normal temp. Upon teardown HG blown on outside
with a piece of HG barely showing.

Water pump leak?

Beautiful day at the track. 68 degrees and a nice tail wind. Did my first run to see how it would do before I turned things up a little. My prayer was to get in the 10's and "get kicked off" of the track for no roll cage. I need to pray more specific. I got kicked off of the track because my car would leak coolant after I'd do a burnout. I can't see any leaking and my temp is good. It must be happening under boost. I also noticed quite a bit of foam in my radiator. I am running rm-25 and no antifreeze. Can you get something at the parts stores to pressurize the system to see if there are any leaks? Could this be something to do with an intake gasket?

Maybe a chance that it is only a water pump. Much easeir to change than a head gasket.
I had a similar problem. Coolant was slowly disapearing. I could not find a leak anywhere. No sign of coolent on garage floor. It was foaming in the rad. Put the car on hoist and checked everything. I was sure that I was going to be replacing head gaskets. About a week later (going out for a cruise night) I found a small puddle of coolant on garage floor-seal in water pump failed. Installed a new pump in June-no more leak. Has not used any coolant since.It must had been slowly leaking from drain in water pump.

When you use just water, sometimes the leak point is hard to find. :confused:

If a pressure test is inconclusive, you can add a flourescent dye to the coolant/water and look for evidence of leakage with a black light.

Don't go yanking those heads until you are sure where the leak is coming from.

Tried to find the pressure tester at two parts stores with no luck. I might try to get one on the web or see if a local shop has one. Maybe do the dye thing or build up boost with brakes on and see if I can get someone to watch. I wonder if they would lay under the car when I did it?
When we looked at it after the burn out, it was running down the front of the motor. Maybe water pump or one of the front hoses.
Maybe I can locate my oil leak too. All new gaskets. Does the boost just force things to leak? Did I mess up the rear main seal? Or is it coming out of the back of the intake? Maybe the dye thing will help me locate.

Yeah i once pulled the heads, and it was the intake:eek: Bare in mind i have pulled them at least 6 times. Im a little persitant, but decided to let a pro give it a try before i drove it off a cliff. So its getting a complete do over, for the..... i lost count, should be ready friday:D

When you use just water, sometimes the leak point is hard to find. :confused:

If a pressure test is inconclusive, you can add a flourescent dye to the coolant/water and look for evidence of leakage with a black light.

Don't go yanking those heads until you are sure where the leak is coming from.

AGREED

might be simple and easy

Could even be the front cover to block sealing surface.
BTW what headgasket are you running?

The RMI-25 already has the flourescent leak detecting dye in it so it should make finding the leak easier. You just need a black light.

David

I'm using felpro 9441's. It's good to know about the rmi-25, I do have some blacklights.

Do you have a film of carbon floating in the overflow? If not, hopefully its just a water pump like KWIK SIX suggested.