Got a free import car and dont know what to do with it

Goat

I heart Boost and DRs...
I been playing with the idea of doing some scca racing and I got this 95 Eagle talon (basically a eclipse) and I dont know if I should daily it or go for a track car/daily type of build.

I have mocked up a 4 point cage and welded it together. I havent put it in though cause of no help moving it around... The motor is stock for now and is not turboed or got any nitrous on it, however Im thinking of a N/A type buildup on it. I been looking into suspension stuff to drop it.

or

I could just put the bar in there with a nice set of wheels and track it like that, but whats the fun in that?

and yes this car was 100% free to me and its a 5speed with a sunroof.

The stock NA motor is total junk (i.e. its a dodge neon motor :mad:). Not worth doing anything with that motor..The turboed motor is a Mitsu, but most of them got that crank walk problem, so thats a hit or miss..:eek:

Screw a giant tach to the top of the dash, slip the cage in and put an obnoxious pipe on back. Then sell it. The dummies will be fist fighting over who buys it.

Im probably just going to make it a daily to keep miles off my other toys.

The stock NA motor is total junk (i.e. its a dodge neon motor :mad:). Not worth doing anything with that motor..The turboed motor is a Mitsu, but most of them got that crank walk problem, so thats a hit or miss..:eek:

the 1.8L were junk but there were 2.0L 16v NA motors , very similar to the turbo versions
my laser rs 16v has been reliable and going strong with over 210K

first thing i did when i got it 10yrs ago was get rid of the 16s for some 17x6.5 rims with 235/45s, slotted rotors and kyb Agx shocks
combined with the 5 speed manual its a fun daily driver and unlike the turbo or heavy AWD versions it gets 33+mpg

I disagree with all this! I have a 93 Eagle Talon TSI AWD that is a powerful street fighter. The crankwalk issue does happen to some 2g models but isn't what its made out to be. The turbo 4g63 engines are bullet proof and hold abuse on a daily basis like mine. These engines respond to basic bolt ons just like the Buick and are able to handle the power. With the AWD all the power is put to the ground and the thing handles like its on rails. All in all the turbo models rock, plus really there not rice, all were made in the USA by Diamond Star Motors. You guys need to do some research before you make statements, (google- John Shepard DSM -) This guy has a Eagle Talon that runs in the 7's in the quartern with the same 2.0 4g63 its really amazing. Mine is basic bolt on's and upgrades to the fuel system and exhaust with some home porting on the turbo and o2 dump for better flow. I estimate around 325 +/- H.P. going to a AWD Eclipse look alike. It's best run is a 12.8 at 103mph and is drove day in and day out getting around 25mpg. One more thing though is it does have a huge appitite for Z28's and Mustangs.

I disagree with all this! I have a 93 Eagle Talon TSI AWD that is a powerful street fighter. The crankwalk issue does happen to some 2g models but isn't what its made out to be. The turbo 4g63 engines are bullet proof and hold abuse on a daily basis like mine. These engines respond to basic bolt ons just like the Buick and are able to handle the power. With the AWD all the power is put to the ground and the thing handles like its on rails. All in all the turbo models rock, plus really there not rice, all were made in the USA by Diamond Star Motors. You guys need to do some research before you make statements, (google- John Shepard DSM -) This guy has a Eagle Talon that runs in the 7's in the quartern with the same 2.0 4g63 its really amazing. Mine is basic bolt on's and upgrades to the fuel system and exhaust with some home porting on the turbo and o2 dump for better flow. I estimate around 325 +/- H.P. going to a AWD Eclipse look alike. It's best run is a 12.8 at 103mph and is drove day in and day out getting around 25mpg. One more thing though is it does have a huge appitite for Z28's and Mustangs.

25mpg is awesome with awd. My 91 eclipse gsx got 17 at its best and that was on a road trip. That reminds me I have to sell that car

Yeah chopped your right! I must admit the only times I've hit 25 was on road trips myself, but as long as I keep the turbo from spoolin up it averages around 21-22 on normal driving.

I've got a '90 Plymouth Laser version of the car. Turbo FWD, 5-spd. They are fun little cars. On a trip I get 33+ mpg at interstate speeds. There is a good following on these cars too. Plenty of forums and still decent part availability. Kind of aggravating to wrench on but like our Buicks, respond well to basic upgrades and pretty reliable at moderate build levels.