Got a fat ticket (venting)

turbojimmy

Supporting Member
Well, yesterday was the first really nice day of the year so I dusted off the GN and headed for the grocery store to pick up some steaks to throw on the grill. My 2 year-old son heard the car fire up and wanted to come. I threw the baby seat in the back and away we went. He loves the acceleration and turbo noise so I get on it a little when the opportunity presents itself.

Therein lies the problem.

So I'm cruising along the highway going 45 in a 45. After a few miles the road gets flat and long with good visibility and no traffic. I nailed it for about 3 seconds, the kid screams with delight, and I let off and started braking to get down to a more reasonable speed. At the very moment I got out of it a cop appears from around an upcoming bend. Not good. He brakes hard, throws on the overhead lights and swings a U-turn. I kept going toward the grocery store which requires taking a jug-handle to cross the highway. I knew he was after me, but there was no sense in pulling to the side of the busy highway and waiting. By the time he caught up I figured I'd be to the supermarket anyway where there's a place to pull over.

As fate would have it, I caught the light at the jug-handle and he rolled up behind me. He shut off the light bar, but I knew I was dead. Talk about a LONG 45-seconds. As soon as we got moving again, he lit me up and I pulled into a vacant part of the lot. Another cop showed up.

My car is tinted really dark so I knew he couldn't see me never mind the kid. Despite the fact that I didn't find anything reckless about my little spurt of speed I was sure he would. I put the windows down on both sides so he could see my brother (passenger) and I. The two cops approached cautiously but relaxed once they realized that we posed no threat.

The cop that walked up to my side said I was going 74 in the 45. I wasn't really surprised. I didn't bother with an explanation - he'd never buy that he clocked me at precisely the worst moment. He took my info and went back to his car. I was short a valid insurance card (evidently I threw away the new one and kept the expired one). He wrote me up for the 74 in the 45 and a failure to exhibit documents. He reminded me that he could take the car until I could provide proof of insurance, so I guess I'm glad it didn't get impounded. Unless I'm able to pull some strings it'll be 4 points and about $300 in fines. A court appearance is required, too, for the egregious speed.

Turns out he did see the kid and said there was no excuse for going that fast with a kid in the car. I guess I agree - no excuse kid or not. I mean how do you justify it at all? The wife was horrified as was anyone else I told when I mentioned the kid was with me. I'm starting to wonder about my perception of right and wrong. While clearly my actions showed a momentary lapse of judgment, I really didn't think it was that big a deal. Evidently it is. My lawyer says it's going to be tough getting any sympathy from a judge because of the fact I had the kid with me. I can see that, I guess, because all he sees is someone traveling 74 in a 45 - like I do it all the time and was doing it during my entire trip to the store. I have (had) a totally clean record.

I'm still not convinced that an occasional wringing-out of the car is such a crime when conditions warrant, but from now on I should do it when the kid isn't in it. I built the car myself, I keep it in top mechanical shape, I know its limits under all circumstances. But I guess the argument is why tempt fate with the kid in the car (or at all for that matter).

Just venting.......

All you need is a lawyer, you won't even have to go to court. Unless your driving record is bad, the lawyer will get your ticket reduced to a equipment (non-moving) violation, all you gotta do is pay up. I had one very similar to yourrs 2 years ago, 84 in a 55, and it cost me a total of $500, but my insurance would have easily went up that much in 6 months. I didn't even have to show up at court, just paid the lawyer. He's done it for me 2 or 3 times and for my dad probably twice as amny times. Just don't do it too often, they will remember and eventually stick you on one.

Definitely get a lawyer. In New Jersey you will get raped by your insurance company if that ticket goes through. Trust me, you might as well hit someone.
The lawyer will cost more initially, but can save you $$ over the next 3-5 years with your insurance.

It must have been in the air yesterday. Like a meat head!!!! me an the wife go out yesterday and i got to the first light and said to her, we need to go home and get the GN. She said fine, well we get home get the GN Fired up and put my son 6 years old in the back and proceed to go shopping. I get into the home depot parking lot and behind the store was wide open and no cars or anyone was there, something took over my brain and i started to power brake the car and would not stop, i filled the parking lot with smoke and my son loved it.

Well i park the car and go inside, i come out to see 3 cop cars crusing around, stopping, looking. I thought i was dead meat for sure:( They pull up to my car and are loooking and i told the wife lets walk the mall, do not go near the car. I waited about a half hour until they were gone then drove home like grandma. Geezzz cannot have any fun anymore. I guess when you are stupid big brother is always there.

Next time i will save it for the track:rolleyes:

I've had that exact same thing happen............It really sucks when you get into it for a few seconds and mr law just happens to come bye. There are so many cops now in my area, that just getting into it for a few seconds can get REAL costly. I remember growing up in the 70's(I was very young;) ) and getting rides in all kinds of fast cars owned by everyone from my sisters boyfriends to brother in laws and them never having a problem like the storys here. Getting so you can't have any fun anymore. And oh, by the way.........A LOT of these same cops did/do the same exact thing (getting on it), but seem to have forgotten it. Oh well, time to buy a Hondah and not get noticed. I know they NEVER catch the ones that fly by my house at all hours of the day and night, fart pipes blairing.:mad:

Get a lawyer! Here in Florida their is a statue that includes racing, drag racing, etc.. I got pulled over for "excesive acceleration". A ticket under that if convicted is a 2nd degree misdimenor with fines, points, license suspension. I got a really good defense lawyer & I walked out of court with no points, no fine, but I had already paid my lawyer 2500.00! Cop even admitted in his deposition that he gave me a B.S. ticket. I wasn't doing anything wrong! Good luck to you!!

Originally posted by turbosam6
All you need is a lawyer, you won't even have to go to court. Unless your driving record is bad, the lawyer will get your ticket reduced to a equipment (non-moving) violation, all you gotta do is pay up. I had one very similar to yourrs 2 years ago, 84 in a 55, and it cost me a total of $500, but my insurance would have easily went up that much in 6 months. I didn't even have to show up at court, just paid the lawyer. He's done it for me 2 or 3 times and for my dad probably twice as amny times. Just don't do it too often, they will remember and eventually stick you on one.

Thanks for the replies....I feel a little better.

The court appearance is mandatory for anything more than 25 MPH over the limit - it's a local thing. My lawyer says not to sweat it. I'm not going to be able to beat it, but I can improve the situation.

I know a captain and a sergeant on the force, too (childhood friends who I haven't talked to in a while). Time to make a couple of phone calls.....

Jim

I just got a wussy ticket the other day. 41 in a 25. :rolleyes: I hate wasting a ticket on one where I wasn't even having fun, just not watching the speedo downhill. Can't remember the last time I just got a warning, do they not do that anymore? Or just not for guys? Oh well. Lucky that it doesn't affect my insurance, hope that never changes.

Man, that really sucks. I like to think that those of us on this board generally take every reasonable precuation before romping on it. We aren't reckless drivers, but they don't care.

I used to do the same thing with my 3 year old daughter, but I kept it limited to the 1-2 shift and just a tad more. She loved it and kept saying "again, again". Now, she yells at me when I roll into it. I'm kinda glad, I don't need to be driving like that with her, and she keeps me in check.

Originally posted by njturbo
It must have been in the air yesterday.
I had the opposite happen to me. Was cruisin down the main drag past a spot where cops always sit. But none to be seen, I go another five mins, turn around and come back past the same spot. Now coming back its totally blocked by a fence, theres no way you could see if someone's there. Well, the road is really clear except for a hot girl in a Saturn which I just passed goin 60. I decided instead of gunning it to hold back just to see if a copper was waiting for me. Sure enough, cop car! And i cruise past doing 58:cool: (slow enough to let the hot girl catch up to me);) That sucks about the tickets, I know the GN's gonna get me in trouble one of these days.

Originally posted by GN One Day...
Can't remember the last time I just got a warning, do they not do that anymore? Or just not for guys?

Bingo. This little hottie I was going out with got pulled a month or so ago, 74 in a 55. Cop sat there and BS's with her, didnt even tell her to slow down. That never happens to me.

Originally posted by Tims87T
Get a lawyer! Here in Florida their is a statue that includes racing, drag racing, etc.. I got pulled over for "excesive acceleration". A ticket under that if convicted is a 2nd degree misdimenor with fines, points, license suspension. I got a really good defense lawyer & I walked out of court with no points, no fine, but I had already paid my lawyer 2500.00! Cop even admitted in his deposition that he gave me a B.S. ticket. I wasn't doing anything wrong! Good luck to you!!

I agree 100%, thats the biggest load of BS I've seen in a while. It's their lame attempt to crack down on "organized street racing". They can impound your car too, even if there's nobody else around. You can get on it in the middle of NOWHERE and get nailed for "street racing", you can accelerate to merge, etc. It's up the descretion of the officer. And guess what, even if YOU are right, it costs you thousands to defend yourself! Sumptin aint right with that.

My father always got on my case about 'accelerating so damn fast' in the Buick. Now that I'm here in Germany, he is taking care of the car. Got a call from him a week after I was here...

"OH MY GOD, THIS THING IS FAST AS S**T. I BARELY TOUCHED THE GAS AND IT TOOK OFF FROM EVERYTHING AT THE LIGHT!!!"

How can police give us a ticket for 'excessive acceleration' when are cars do that normally??

I suppose he "had" to give you the speeding ticket, but he didn't have to write you up for the insurance card. It was pretty obvious you were insured. Almost all cops everywhere suck, what can you do.

As for the kid being in the car, so what. If you maintain your car and there was no reason it was gonna do something bad, kids like that kind of stuff, let them have some fun and live. Since you had already gotten bent over, I would have told the cop he was your kid and you'll see to raising him, thanks (and hopefully he won't grow up to be the prick you are officer).

Attitude attitude attitude. Many times we are not sure we're gonna write the ticket when we approach. If the person is cool, honest and gives us a reasonable explanation, they're probably not getting the ticket. I love it when someone doesn't have their insurance card. I'll write em for that ($5 ticket) and cut em loose. I get my stat, they're happy they got a break. So have a good attitude and hopefully you'll get off.

Lawyers typically only plead you out and you can do that yourself for free. What I would do would be to go to court and explain to the judge what you were doing. "Just took the car out of hibernation and gave it a jolt of acceleration. I wasn't cruising at that speed, had just accelerated and gotten off it while there were no cars." Never know the judge might be cool about it.

Next time tell em you got a brother in law that works for Broward sheriff's Office in Deerfield Beach Fl. ;)

A Lawyer is optional (I had one because it was a freebie for me - family connection), but I pled down a steep speeding ticket to some arcane law that read something like "operating a motor vehicl as to endanger those around you" or something to that affect. Here's how it works:

1. You plea down to a no-points moving violation.
2. Court gets what amounts to double the fine.
3. They walk away happy, and you save the insurance surcharges and nonsense.

I got that ticket doing 65 in a 45. I was accellerating to pass somebody who was in the right lane and driving quite erratically. Therefore, I felt that I didn't deserve the ticket. This was along a 2 miles stretch of highway passing through Mountain Lakes NJ.

They didn't even argue with the plea given that I had a perfectly clean driving record.

If you have a clean record, they'll do the plea for you. And I recommend getting a lawyer if you aren't comfortable with the plea process. Even if you have to pay legal fees, it's worth it if you can avoid the LONG and unending punishment of higher insurance rates.

Rich

Originally posted by WakkoSS
Attitude attitude attitude. Many times we are not sure we're gonna write the ticket when we approach. If the person is cool, honest and gives us a reasonable explanation, they're probably not getting the ticket. I love it when someone doesn't have their insurance card. I'll write em for that ($5 ticket) and cut em loose. I get my stat, they're happy they got a break. So have a good attitude and hopefully you'll get off.

Lawyers typically only plead you out and you can do that yourself for free. What I would do would be to go to court and explain to the judge what you were doing. "Just took the car out of hibernation and gave it a jolt of acceleration. I wasn't cruising at that speed, had just accelerated and gotten off it while there were no cars." Never know the judge might be cool about it.

Next time tell em you got a brother in law that works for Broward sheriff's Office in Deerfield Beach Fl. ;)

I was as pleasant to this guy as I knew how. I have nothing against cops - they have a tough job and I don't need to make it tougher. I knew I was in the wrong - there's no sense in being an ass about it. He, too, was very pleasant and professional - just not in the break-giving mood I guess. I told him about the guys I knew on the force (albeit after he wrote the ticket), but he seemed disinterested. We chatted about the new town hall and the car for a bit, but he was intent on giving me a ticket. At least he didn't bust me for the tint or tow the car for lack of proof of insurance.

My lawyer is a friend of mine so it won't cost me anything. If the prosecuter will allow me to plead down as far as "unsafe driving" I can just pay a fine and don't get any points. My lawyer/friend seems to think that given the circumstances that might be a stretch. Best case would be a drop to 2 points and a fine.

Either way I'm going to try to leverage my contacts within the police force to see if they can help out.

Jim

two things:

1: one of my most fond childhood memories is my dad hammering it down the long stretch in front of our house in his '67 camaro and letting me shift the 4-speed:D.i couldn't have been more than 5 years old.

2:74 mph is not neccesarily an "unsafe speed".lots of states have 70mph speed limits,does that mean you're recklessly endangering your child when you're cruising on the freeway at 75mph?the fact that it was a 45mph zone doesn't look good,but it's not as bad as it seems...

later,sean

Don't feel bad. Speed limits are set for the worst normal conditions possible, like raining at night while driving a loaded dump truck. From an engineering standpoint, most roads are designed so they can be safely negotiated at much higher rates of speed than posted. When raining, a well draining highway is typically safe for up to 80 mph. That same highway on a clear dry day is good for up to 130 mph. It would be hard to teach some people to handle it, but there should be multiple speed limits based on conditions.

I once was pulled over for accelerating too quickly in my dad's 1972 Suburban. It had a BBC w/headers, solid lift cam, pop-up pistons, balanced, performer RPM intake, 750 carb. I would shift at 6800 rpm and blow the doors off of most anything out there. We called it the fastest school bus in Cobb County. Late one night, five of my buddies and I were sitting at one of those really long traffic lights and I did not know there was a cop behind me. I stalled it up a little and when it turned green, I LET ER' RIP. Well, I left him sitting still. When I hit 65, I shut it down because there is always alot of cops in the area, I just did not know he was behind me. Well, I noticed this car really gaining speed on me and thought I might have a race going until he hit his blue lights. He walked up and said "You took off a little fast from that light, son." Fortunately, that is one of the few times I did not get a ticket. Imagine the officer trying to tell the judge a Suburban outran his police cruiser!:eek:

fight that ticket to the death. do whatever you can to get it knocked down.. I work for GEICO and can tell you a ticket like that is a gift that keeps on giving for a long time....