Got a couple ?'s for anybody who has rebuilt their own turbo!

6pack

T-Time
How hard was it? How long does it take? Where do I need to buy the kit from? And is it worth it? If it's not worth it I will just buy a used one until later:D Thanks guys!!

I did it. Got the kit from PTE. About $100 two years ago and it took a while to get.

A few tips: Get some snapring pliers for the bearing snaprings. I found some cheapies in a $2.00 bin at ACE Hdwe; they worked. I ended up torquing the compressor wheel to 12 in/lbs and used red loctite on the nut; it seemed to have a middle-of-the-road drag at that point that was acceptable. Be prepared to lose a bolt on the turbine housing; they get heat cycled so much they can seize and snap off. Start oiling them ASAP. Getting the compressor housing off the center section is a joy also since some of the bolts are hard to get to and will try your patience. If the turbo can be disassembled sorta easy, you can rebuild it in one day. Clean the center shaft really good but don't use an abrasive, just some good chemicals and a rag. Look for bent or broken fins and scoring on the housings. It's a real close fit in there.

the exaust wheel is welded on the center shaft and the intake wheel comes off but before you crack the nut loose mark the wheels so when you put it back together you can line your marks back up to keep it in balance.

car turbo city and you can get the bearings and seals alot cheaper.....

i think i paid $20-$30 last set i bought.

no need to bend over for rip off vendors on something so cheap

I believe the torque spec on the compressor nut is 12 in-lbs PLUS 100 degrees further! or something like that.

i.e. pdt (pretty darn tight)

You should ask the vendor that sells you the rebuild kit. Also, some compressor nuts are left hand thread....

TurboBob

Thanks guys!

And Red you read(sp)my mind, I am on a very tight budget thus the reason for me rebuilding it in the first place;) :D Just out of curiousity how much would a good used turbo run me?

Reds, turbo city emailed me back and said it would be $97! Did I ask for the wrong thing? Thanks:)

dont know what all comes in a kit i just got the bearings and seals seperatly and it was cheap.

maybe they found out what the buick vendors are charging and went up on them ??

Well I think the kit comes with the seal plate, all seals, bearings, gaskets?, snap rings Surely the seal plate and snaprings can't be that much! Anyway I will email them back and tell them I just need the bearings and seals. Thanks again:)

Turbonetics also offers this kit

PN# is 10631.

Retail is $93.00

Any other questions feel free to ask.

;)

rebuild kit

I rebuilt mine about three years ago I got the kit from Stuart Desiel in Tampa,FL for about the same price $20-$30.

I rebuilt my 66 with a kit from John Craig. The 360 degree thrust requires some drilling and tapping per his instruction but it's the best around. Rebuilding turbos is extremely easy, just remember the order in which you disassembled it. I sent him the wheels for balance and he returned them along with a rebuild kit. Good luck