Got a carb turbo torn apart and

My camera has a video function, but no audio.

I was a little sceptical weather it helped or not but I have made up my mind. It has made a difference. I was running 8 PSI or so, looked at my boost guage, and saw 10 PSI. Havnt touched the wastegate either. Noticed it was at 8 until it got to 4500 RPM (Im guessing as my tach wont go past 2500 GRR) then it went to 9, then 10, then when it shifted to second it went back to 8.

So in other words, boost creep. Didnt get that with the flowmaster. I guess the combo of the K&N, opened up secondary air valves, ported turbo housing, 2.5" DP, and the new exhaust has lead to it. Spools up slightly faster from a stop, not much better, but if im at 30 and floor it, it hits 8PSI super quick.

Still sluggish from 0-25, but thats the 2.41 that kills the bottom end I think. 3.08 would fix that, and Id be able to keep the TH350, but a 3.42 would be awesome, but Id need a 200R4. Thats another $700 gone. $300 for cam and springs. Yay....

My camera has a video function, but no audio.

I was a little sceptical weather it helped or not but I have made up my mind. It has made a difference. I was running 8 PSI or so, looked at my boost guage, and saw 10 PSI. Havnt touched the wastegate either. Noticed it was at 8 until it got to 4500 RPM (Im guessing as my tach wont go past 2500 GRR) then it went to 9, then 10, then when it shifted to second it went back to 8.

So in other words, boost creep. Didnt get that with the flowmaster. I guess the combo of the K&N, opened up secondary air valves, ported turbo housing, 2.5" DP, and the new exhaust has lead to it. Spools up slightly faster from a stop, not much better, but if im at 30 and floor it, it hits 8PSI super quick.

Still sluggish from 0-25, but thats the 2.41 that kills the bottom end I think. 3.08 would fix that, and Id be able to keep the TH350, but a 3.42 would be awesome, but Id need a 200R4. Thats another $700 gone. $300 for cam and springs. Yay....

If you think you can get a 2004R for $700 you're sadly mistaken, believe me. I've got a set of 3.42 gears out of the Camaro rear I have here but it's not a posi unit. the 82 has a set of 3.23 in it but I don't want to get rid of them right now.

No I did not enlarge the wastegate hole. Ive heard that the 83 turbos have boost creep but didnt know these earlier turbos could boost creep.

My overall plan was to get a used GN 200R4, which run around $400-500, and $200 for the electric TC lock up, a new crossmember, and all the other little stuff. However, this is a year away unless I hit the mother load.

For rear gears I was hoping to get lucky and get a 3.08 rear out of a salvage yard 2 hours from me. They have litterally 75 G bodies at least. Most are 4 dr cutlasses, but they do have a a few GP's, bu's, pre 81 Montes, ect. I could certainly just get a 3.08 from a S10 for $150, spend $50 on shims and have a $200 rear.

But like I said, the cam and getting new weatherstripping is way higher on the list.

No I did not enlarge the wastegate hole. Ive heard that the 83 turbos have boost creep but didnt know these earlier turbos could boost creep.

My overall plan was to get a used GN 200R4, which run around $400-500, and $200 for the electric TC lock up, a new crossmember, and all the other little stuff. However, this is a year away unless I hit the mother load.

For rear gears I was hoping to get lucky and get a 3.08 rear out of a salvage yard 2 hours from me. They have litterally 75 G bodies at least. Most are 4 dr cutlasses, but they do have a a few GP's, bu's, pre 81 Montes, ect. I could certainly just get a 3.08 from a S10 for $150, spend $50 on shims and have a $200 rear.

But like I said, the cam and getting new weatherstripping is way higher on the list.

if you find a 3.08 geared S10 take pics. never seen one lower than 3.42.

A.j.

if you find a 3.08 geared S10 take pics. never seen one lower than 3.42.

A.j.

I'd like to see that myself.:biggrin:

You may get lucky and find a set in one of the early GP's but take a magnet and see if it's got the aluminum rad support. This would be a good score to find.

I've still got a spare set of 3.42's that need to be pulled out of the rear I took the disc set up off of.

carpart.com shows like 15 earlier S10 with 3.08. Mostly are 2.5 Manual pre 91 cars.

I was going to pull an aluminum core support out. 100% sure there is one there. Yard is cluttered, but I dont mind.

A few pictures I took. Camera died and didnt have extra batteries. Only was able to take pics of the olds area, when I got to the chev/pontiac area the camera was dead. Their was a nice T top 80 monte there but a T top was broke so the interior was gone.
picture745.jpg

picture743.jpg

picture750.jpg

picture749.jpg

picture747.jpg

picture746.jpg

Yard is in Wilmar MN. There was a few 68-72 Lemans, Montes, Cutlasses, Vista cruisers, ect. Was even a few chargers, challengers and other stuff. Tons of 73-77 A bodies, few hundred 80's B bodies, ect. Guy that owns it is kinda wierd. Everything you buy there is $75 it seems.

Havnt spent enough time to seriously LOOK around. Theres old school buses FULL of aluminum intake manifolds, one with just altenators, one with just motor mounts ect.

Was going to try and get there this summer before I start school again.

Went to the salvage yard again. Bought a few random small parts, and found an aluminum core support to pull out. Unfortunatly a tree was growing right next to the car and I wouldnt have been able to get the fender off. Need to bring my chainsaw next time. :rolleyes:

Heres a little taste of whats there, if you want look in my album. Too lazy to link all the pics.

picture1020.jpg

picture1024.jpg

picture1025.jpg

picture1028.jpg

picture1035.jpg

Cutlass pictures by jacoblarson - Photobucket

All I've got to say is WOW:eek: I remember when our junkyards used to be like that back when my dad and I used to go look for parts for my camaro and his other cars. Do me a favor next time you go out and see if there are any RUNNING complete buick 455s out there.

BTW, my dad goes up there at least once a week for work

Theres for sure a few BBB's there. Saw a NICE 455-4 buick aircleaner out of an engine. Its HARD to buy stuff there, old guy that runs the yard is kinda hard to talk with, but Im sure there is a few BBB's there. There was a set of C heads from a 455 olds there I want sooner or later.

Its hard enough to buy bumpers, cant immagine how much of a pain it would be to pull a motor. Its possible though. :smile:

I remember yards like that as well Jesse. I've got a few here I'd love to get into but they're closed and the owner won't do anything with the cars. I can see 10 Regals from the highway and many other G bodies. It's a shame.

should have went out there 15 years ago when it was really good pickin! I dont even remember where it is anymore.

Theres for sure a few BBB's there. Saw a NICE 455-4 buick aircleaner out of an engine. Its HARD to buy stuff there, old guy that runs the yard is kinda hard to talk with, but Im sure there is a few BBB's there. There was a set of C heads from a 455 olds there I want sooner or later.

Its hard enough to buy bumpers, cant immagine how much of a pain it would be to pull a motor. Its possible though. :smile:

If you find out aprice or any other info let me know. If I was up there I'd grab that air cleaner just to stash away

That beat Old Ralleye 350 about brought me to tears.... :(

Its not a ralley 350, Its a true 442. Didnt think it was until I saw the faded 442 on the fender.

There is a bunch of 78-80 regals out there. Could pull some bumper fillers off if anyone wants or any other stuff. As long as its not interior stuff it is probably there.