Got a carb turbo torn apart and

It has crossed my mind on building my own 3 inch setup. Only thing is I have heard that the single shot 3 inch setups drone, and that is exactly what I want to get rid of with the flowmaster Ive got on there now. The single 3 inch tube coming out of the side would be kinda cool though.

I am like 65% towards the pypes system and 35% towards fabbing up something.

I would still love to run E-85 on a Q jet, I know theres 30% ish more fuel flowing but isnt there more than 30% more fuel flowing on a big Q jet off a 455 or something than the little 231. I mean a big olds 455 makes 400 HP lets say, and the C/T setup would run 300 if im lucky. 300x1.3= 390. So the HP is about the same at a big stock 455 and a modded V6 with 30% more fuel use.

Maybe my math is wrong but a 300 HP turbo V6 with 30 percent more fuel flow is less than what a stock 455 would run.

I have been looking at E30 a little more though. They have a bunch of blender pumps and its 95. E50 is around 98. That plus a little alky would be suffucient with a good turbo for 18 PSI tuned good. And thats all Id ever want to do.

if you are gonna run alky just stick with pump gas. I used to run 32psi with my TE-44 on pump gas and a garden hose of methanol, on my stock motor.
Muffler choice is key with the 3" single. you should hear my car with the single 3" and dynomax on it, it is very quiet. Im putting a new motor in it again though, so it wont be done for another week. :(

I'm honestly looking at running dual mufflers. Probibly Magnaflows. I want it to exit the drivers side so it looks like a "stock" system, just bigger.:biggrin:

That's what I was hoping to hear. I figured that 2 would cut the drone and still allow for good flow. Thanks.

But you can run a premiun and e-85 mix on the street with stock q-jet?

Yes, but you need to use no more than 50% mix. Looks better if you run no more than 30 for tuning so you can make sure the carb can give you enough volume to keep from starving the engine.

Went to a car show and I had my engine called "the wierdest thing Ive ever seen". By an owner of a turbo 86 Nissan Z car. Yay! Ive acomplished one of a few things that Ive set out to do. Confuse people!

Confuse people, check!
Go fast, no
Look super nice, no
Super reliable driver, kinda.

I guess 1.5 out of 4 ist bad!

On a side note, when I run my AC in town, which means both my electric fans are running, and try to start when hot sometimes it wont turn over. Shut off the AC and it starts right up. Altenator cant keep up. Which means I need a higher output altenator. Only get 11.2-12 volts with ac on around town. AC off goes back to 13.

What amp alternator are you running now? You may just need a different one to keep up with the car now.

Kinda thought id throw in an update.

I need a new radiator soon here. The one that is in the car was just sitting in the back of the car when I bought it (yay free parts) and I installed it. It leaked when I put it on its side, but its ran for a year and I havnt thought about it. I need to start thinking about it. Car got to 200 degrees yesterday. With the AC on, going 65, and at 85 outside. It will always run at 180, but the AC must have put it over the edge.

The 200 degree engine temp also has showed I get a bad starter heat soak issue. Its happened where it doesnt start, and I thought it was a lack of voltage, but the car wouldnt even turn over. Fans spun fast, but there wasnt any sign of starting. Sat for 2 hours, fired right up. Dont have a heat sheild though so that will help hopefully if I get one built. That big 2.5" down pipe must be really throwin off the heat. :rolleyes:

hey got the check... many thanks.

sorry I been gone.... busy in the desert as usual...

I will hit your PMs soon.

Thanks Again!

A.j.

Got my Pypes cat back ordered on Monday. Showed up on Wednesday. Got around to putting it on this afternoon. Took like 2 hours or so. Had to weld my cat delete flange to my existing cat delete pipe, drilled a few holes, and it slid right in.

Lot quieter than my single flowmaster. My electric fans are louder than the exhaust at idle. And the funny thing, is now it sounds like every other turbo buick Ive ever heard.

Not going to say its any faster, Butt dynos arent very effective. And the lighter your wallet is the faster you think you are.

Overall, its quieted the car down a LOT, almost too quiet at idle, but im not complaining. And the best part, is my muffler isnt hanging way under the car. Used to be able to see the ugly thing sitting 4 inches below the car, but you can't see the exhaust now.

Im happy! :D

Glad to hear of another happy customer for that exhaust. If I hadn't decided on a 3" single I'd be using it myself.

Yeah, it went on easilly enough. No cutting. They gave me a pypes hanger and another brand hanger for the front of the mufflers. I ended up having a match to one of them so I used that. Thats my only complaint besides the right axle tube is close to the UCA and spring.

Now I want to adress my clacky lifter problem. While Im at it Ill probably end up changing the valvesprings, shaving the heads down to make up for my thick head gaskets, and port the heads a bit. But thats a while away.

Sounds like you've got a good plan. Keep it going and it will work out but be prepaired for some issues like the possibility of a bad cam for the clacking noise.

Yeah, cam will be replaced. The lifters went in not looking 100%, and it started clacking after it got running. There is one tick when the engine is warm, and one comes and goes and is louder but only happens at hot idle. So Ive got 2 bad lifters, or one that gets louder.

I had a sheet that I wrote down that broke down the cams I was looking at but cant find it. Was going to go with the edel 5487 but its more agressive than I want. Need to keep 17 MPG at the low end, and that cam looks to hot. Might end up going with a stock GN cam if I could find one new with good Morrel or GM lifters. Ive heard the COMP ones clack and that what im trying to get rid of. Or go one step higher. The stock one can go into the 11's and I doubt Ill ever be there. But considering how crappy the intake is any amount of flow will help.

I think you're looking for the 194/204 cam with .424 and .448 lift, right? Same one I got for Lorenzo? You can find it on evilbay fairly cheap if you look.

Heres a few pics of what it looks like.
picture928.jpg

picture929.jpg

picture931.jpg

Cant even see it
picture930.jpg