Good Transmission shop in NC (fayetteville)

SlickTR

Looks like I will need to have the trans rebuilt. Is there any good shops around the area that are recommended for a performance rebuild on the GN 2004r. Also how much does that usually cost? I'm just wondering if I should have it rebuilt or just have a new unit (thinking extreme automatics or CPT stage 2) shipped to the house and swap them out, not sure on how much I would actually save on having mine rebuilt.

I dont really know anyone around here Id trust to do that kind of stuff. Save yourself the grief and order a unit.

you might be able to see if richard clark could help i think he has classes for that his username on here is: a2000rich

I dont really know anyone around here Id trust to do that kind of stuff. Save yourself the grief and order a unit.

X3... Check out Vince Janis (330)753-6609 as well. He does all my tranny's and I'm taking (4) more to him in a couple weeks.

K.

Or you could use someone that sponsors the forum, we have many FINE vendors willing and able to accommodate your needs. Show the TurboBuick.com love:biggrin:

I had sent my last unit out to extreme automatics, got it delivered back to the house in about 3 weeks. I do live in Fayetteville and would NOT let any of the local shops anywhere near my 2004R....

Staples Auto Engineering in Durham does great work. Definitely not their first rodeo with a Buick 200.

Staples Auto Engineering in Durham does great work. Definitely not their first rodeo with a Buick 200.

+1. Staples does great work, and their warranty/customer service is pretty much second to none. I've never heard of anyone that wasn't satisfied with something they did.

On stuff like transmissions, I like to use somewhat local people. It's usually easier to deal with problems if the person is relatively local.

Staples Automotive Engineering

+1. Staples does great work, and their warranty/customer service is pretty much second to none. I've never heard of anyone that wasn't satisfied with something they did.

On stuff like transmissions, I like to use somewhat local people. It's usually easier to deal with problems if the person is relatively local.

]

Guys be very very careful when buying a 200 for your Buick... Trust me I got first hand experience:biggrin:

Well looks like I have a couple options...My other main question is what exactly is the price difference, if any, between getting a crate unit and getting a comparable quality rebuild on my current trans?

Well looks like I have a couple options...My other main question is what exactly is the price difference, if any, between getting a crate unit and getting a comparable quality rebuild on my current trans?

What is your goal for the car? If you plan on going any faster than 11.50's I find it HIGHLY unlikely you will find anybody locally to build a reliable unit.

Again depending on your goals, I would say alot of vendors have decent units at $15-1600 and up... Locally, the guys don't have access to the same parts as the Buick guys for the same price. So for apples to apples comparison on parts then adding labor I would assume it would be close to the same...

What is your goal for the car? If you plan on going any faster than 11.50's I find it HIGHLY unlikely you will find anybody locally to build a reliable unit.

Again depending on your goals, I would say alot of vendors have decent units at $15-1600 and up... Locally, the guys don't have access to the same parts as the Buick guys for the same price. So for apples to apples comparison on parts then adding labor I would assume it would be close to the same...

The car should be able to go low 11's high 10's without pushing it hard. It will only see limited track time for now. I wont have a lot of time when I PCS over but need to have the trans fixed quick so I will just order one from a supporting vendor. That way I can swap them out and have the car going again within a day. Now I just have to decide which one to go with.

...Locally, the guys don't have access to the same parts as the Buick guys for the same price.

That don't have the experience or knowledge either... :rolleyes:

Some of the vendors, supporting or not, can make the 200's live well into the 10's. And a few of them can make them live well into the 9's.

I guarantee the "local" builder that may be able to handle the stock to 12-sec. car can't...

K.

Lol, no one but a vendor can build a reliable 200, lol.

Whatever... :rolleyes:

I'm sure there's more than just vendors that can build a reliable 200 at stock performance levels... :rolleyes: Apparently... :cool:

K.

The shop I recommended builds performance transmissions. A 10 second 200, in a 3800 lb. car isn't rocket science. I know you guys are loyal to the vendors, which is a good thing, but assuming that no one can do what they do is pretty ridiculous.

Has Staples built as many 200's as some of the vendors? Probably not. Do they have a stellar local reputation? Yes they do. Have they put heavy cars with 200R4's into the 10's? Yes they have.

I'm not saying that the vendor stuff isn't good stuff, at good prices, but assuming someone can't match their prices without even checking is just plain ignorant. My point is that the vendors aren't the only option. What if your Janis transmission has an issue? Say it won't shift into third because the governor is messed up. You'll have to pull the transmission out, and send it back to Janis. Everyone makes mistakes, I can guarantee that Janis doesn't have a 100% perfect track record with 200's. If you build enough of them, eventually you will make a mistake. It's not a bad thing, it's just the way it is.

I've seen what happens when Staples makes that same mistake. They did a T56 for a friend of mine. We had pulled the transmission, taken it to them, had the rebuild done, and re-installed. After a few days, it wouldn't shift into 5th. We called Staples, and they offered to pull the transmisison and fix the problem for free, even though we installed the trans. Their stance was, "It's not your fault it won't shift into 5th, you shouldn't have to do the labor to R&R the transmisison again because of our mistake." You won't get that from any vendor on here because they are 100's if not 1000's of miles away. You'll be out the labor for the transmission R&R, and out of a car for who knows how long all for a stupid governor problem. A local shop could fix the governor problem in less than hour; instead of the days, or more likely weeks, that it will take a vendor to fix it.

I'm not saying that all local shops are good, most of them are garbage, but that doesn't mean that an Internet vendor is the only option.

I had one that was built in that area that fired on the starting line in Reynolds GA:eek:

Not saying you are wrong but; why spend the money somewhere you are not 100% sure will take care of a 10 200R4?

It is not just about promoting vendors, just using a little common sense and probably a savings in the long wrong IMO!

Staples Automotive

I've seen some of their work... like roll cages and such, very good work. I really don't know about their tranny work, cannot say good or bad.... I'd say if guy's from BWR are giving you the advice of vendors such as; Xtreme autos, Brian, Janis, ect... maybe take a look. Going cheaper with these cars is risky....

BT...... :D