Good machine shop in SoCal?

Squid4life

So I may be needing some good machine work in the hear future, both for a buddies car as well as my project. I know Neal had mentioned Nutech but did he get set up in Ramona now? Is he open? It has also been suggested to use Beans Crankshaft in El Cajon.

Are there any good machine shops around here? I don't mind driving if need be. Lou, do you do machine work, or farm out machine work and just (not "just", no offense intended) assemble? Hell, I would drive up there to do it as well. Especially if I got a sticker. ;)

Looks like the obvious will be needed:
Bore cylinders
Hone with torque plate (I one a torque plate)
Recon rods after installing ARP's
Hang new pistons
Maybe bush rods for full floating pins
Line hone or line bored, depending on how far the caps or girdle throw off the mains.
Micro polish crank

I can do my own freeze plugs, cam bearings, mic'ing cylinders and mains, assembly, etc, etc. Mainly looking for machine work. And I don't mind the typical mixed list: "Rods to ______, Crank to ______, block to _____".

Any suggestions? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

I use to deal with a place in the Lake Forest area called RPM unlimited, but I think their gone.
One top notch machine shop is Taylor engine in Whittier, next to BDS ( blower drive services ). I have seen nothing short of perfect work from Taylors. Highly recomended, IMO.

Give Britt a call at NuTech and he will help you out. Both Neil and I have used him on various Buick projects and he is easy to work with and has excellent turn around time. I don't have his number with me but he should be listed in the phone book (he is in Ramona).
Jeff

I would prefer that. Does he have a full machine shop, or is he "the middle man"?.QUOTE]
If you got to Lou with that attitude, he will take you to take your business elsewhere, simple as that, No he doesnt have a machine shop but he does have 1 hell of machinist that will do a great job, call him maybe if you catch him in a good mood he will give you his contact # is worth to try..

Wicked

I would prefer that. Does he have a full machine shop, or is he "the middle man"?.QUOTE]
If you got to Lou with that attitude, he will take you to take your business elsewhere, simple as that, No he doesnt have a machine shop but he does have 1 hell of machinist that will do a great job, call him maybe if you catch him in a good mood he will give you his contact # is worth to try..

Wicked

No, no attitude intended. Have met Lou a few times and know he is a great guy. I was just curious if HE had the equipment, or if he had a guy who did his. Makes no difference to me, because obviously Lou trusts him, among others. I was just curious if he had the equipment. I worked in 2 different machine shops before my current profession and actually did the bore and hone, recon of rods, and engine assembly. It was curiousity, that it.

Thank you very much; all of you, for the information. It is truly appreciated. These motors are much too different for any Joe Schmoe who has only done SBC's all his life to do.

I use to deal with a place in the Lake Forest area called RPM unlimited, but I think their gone.
One top notch machine shop is Taylor engine in Whittier, next to BDS ( blower drive services ). I have seen nothing short of perfect work from Taylors. Highly recomended, IMO.

never know right next to me thanks for the info.:)

never know right next to me thanks for the info.:)

I have personally had three LC2 engines and two Buick 455 engines machine work done at Taylors, with outstanding results.
Ultra clean work returned, and knows Buicks specs are not SBCs. You get the specs you ask for.
Since I moved up to Washington I havent found a machine shop that comes anywhere close. I will be shipping my next one down to them.

I have personally had three LC2 engines and two Buick 455 engines machine work done at Taylors, with outstanding results.
Ultra clean work returned, and knows Buicks specs are not SBCs. You get the specs you ask for.
Since I moved up to Washington I havent found a machine shop that comes anywhere close. I will be shipping my next one down to them.

Do you have a full name, city, anything like that? I searched but came up empty. Thank you!

Wow, that place is impressive. I like the price list as well. Don't like it when they give you a "rough estimate" on the phone but it is always way higher once completed. Thanks very much!

I have been very happy with my experence with them, and I am very picky about machine shops.
Its a family run place and most of the employees have been there forever.
Jay Steel past away in January, he was one of the best for flathead stuff.

I sent you a PM.

Here are the phone #'s for Nutech and Bean's crankshaft for any of the So. Cal guys.

Nutech 760-440-3029

Bean's 619-449-1736

Neal

Beans does almost all the crankshafts in SD.

I've used Speed Specialties in El Cajon for a couple sets of heads and was very impressed. Larry is the owner and seemed pretty familiar with the Buick V6.

Welcome to CA from Taylors web site.

Environmental fee will be added.

Not Taylors fault, just this money hungry State.

Welcome to CA from Taylors web site.

Environmental fee will be added.

Not Taylors fault, just this money hungry State.

Yeah, that crap is everywhere. I bought some parts from the junk yard and had to pay a core charge... For a brake drum, a tail light, etc. Craziness...