Good flat tappet cam

Wicked WE4

What is a good flat tappet cam, mods are in my sig. Will be porting heads while engine is apart, will be upgrading down pipe, exhaust and going to upgrade the turbo with a TA49 or comparible turbo. I know roller cam is the
best but not in the budget.

For my money, the best flat tappet cam out there for our cars is the Erson 208/208. It has the correct taper on the third exhaust lobe and has proven itself time and again with Buick owners. Do a little for the Erson here and at the other board. You won't be disappointed.
Call this guy. He runs Erson. You can bargain with him on price.

Steve @ 775 882 1622

If you like, call and talk to nick micale about your needs/ wants for the car. You can get his number at Home. he will set you up for what you need

no good flat tappet cam besides the stock 1 ,,, its been 10;s what do u want ?

I like the 208/208 also. I have had 3 different fairly mild 10 second cars using the 208/208 with good results. My newest set up has a Comp 212/212 but I haven't really put it thru its paces yet so the jury is still out on it. The 208/208 has less valve train noise than the 212/212 for sure.

A good flat tappet cam is one that never gets put in an engine...... :eek: J/K

If the $$ isn't there for a roller, and you just got to go flat tappet..... the 206/206 comp cams is a good choice..... or the 204/214 was extremely popular down into the 10's anyway....

HTH

Cam

I agree with the latter part of the above post. I have a 206/206 CC in two vehicles one with many miles another with around 5K miles I recently just installed in my TTA the Edelbrock 204/214 cam,lifters and timing chain around 1K mileage...this cam makes power! You can not beat G-Body parts price on this cam kit and timing chain set.
You should take great care in the break in for these cams with proper pre lube, good oil pressure and a bottle of Comp cams break in or equivalent also follow up with a 500-1000 mile oil change with same addittives.

I agree with the latter part of the above post. I have a 206/206 CC in two vehicles one with many miles another with around 5K miles I recently just installed in my TTA the Edelbrock 204/214 cam,lifters and timing chain around 1K mileage...this cam makes power! You can not beat G-Body parts price on this cam kit and timing chain set.
You should take great care in the break in for these cams with proper pre lube, good oil pressure and a bottle of Comp cams break in or equivalent also follow up with a 500-1000 mile oil change with same addittives.

Good advice on the break in, you can't be too careful. The motor in my 67 Firebird is the 5th turbo Buick motor I have built and all of them with flat tappet cams and no issues but break in is extremely important. I have saved enough on not going roller that my next build will be free!!

Cam

Break in, the right valve spring Pressure and good oil psi is a must along with the additives.
Are roller cams better, Yes! but not everyone can afford them nor are they required for every application.

Erson is apparently out of business or not making cams for buicks. Is the 208/208 cam that Full Throttle sells the same cam?

Did you call the number I gave you? I believe the Fullthrottle cam is an Elgin. I don't have any experience with them.

Flat tappets cams are good. Last I checked, if you go Comp Cams, they will recommend a "Nitrided" Hyd. Flat Tappet Cam for warranty purposes if I am not mistaken. So, you are only saving about $400 over a roller.

Joe

208/208

The 208/208 erson cam has a very nice idle. Valve train is very quiet as well once lash is set. Cam has plenty of torque/hp in the operating rpm of the ecm . I installed that cam in my friends new build and the street manors were very good even with the stock D-5 converter.