Good filter for DIY water/alchy injection?

Gokou

Has anyone found a good filter for a water/alchy injection system?

I was going to use a small clear nylon filter I had but the end caps of the internal element were steel and rusted after I "tested" it a few days in a cup of water.

Carroll Supercharging makes a nice filter (seen it on a friend's car)-- anyone know of an equivalent, or should I just buy one from them?

Thanks.

I've been running a $2 purolator clear filter. The Methanol corrodes it pretty quickly. Steve Monroe stated he no longer uses a filter and that's what I'm going to do. There really isn't much need for it. When you get gas, you can only trust that you're not pumping a bunch of trash into your fuel tank. Then, you use many gallons. With alky injection, you can see what you put into your reservoir and you don't really use that much alky/methanol/water so your chances of clogging something are slim and none.

Good point; nothing should be getting in there. However, I'd much prefer to be able to rinse a filter out (which is would be in an easy to get location) rather than have to remove the atomizing nozzles (which I put in with red loctite 271) and clean their little stainless filters.

Got a lead on something sat nite, will post results in a couple of days..

Julio

Originally posted by Razor
Got a lead on something sat nite, will post results in a couple of days..

[Homer Simpson Mode] Awwwww, but I want it noooooooow! [/Homer Simpson Mode]

:p

Dude...me more than you :p

hehe.. i'll have info by teusday nite..

just use the high quality paint filters (for auto not home) when filling the tank. You can get them at auto body supply places.

Zam 70, problem is stuff will get into the tank...

Small update on filter..

look at this link for an idea..

FFV

Discount sells the purolator filter for 11 bucks.. i'm calling purolator tommorrow and see if its compatible...

other options are being worked out as well.

See I dont hog interesting stuff.

;)

How's stuff get into the tank? I guess if you're not careful or maybe a suicidal bug....my system is sealed.

So the idea of running a simple filter to catch anything that could possibly get in there doesnt sound like a good idea???

So if its sealed, how do you keep the container from imploding when you suck alcohol out of it?

See there is a little leak somewhere..this leak can/will suck in minute particles..

Hey if you dont want a 10 dollar solution..thats fine dont use one..

Its not that it can, its that it may.. And the consequences are...well it doesnt matter
:rolleyes:

geeze Razor, lighten up...:confused:
I happen to use a fuel cell with a filtered vent so there goes the imploding theory :D
I've searched for a filter that I'd have confidence in and so far I've come up with nothing. Doesn't do any good to look at what the methanol racers use, they use NO FILTER (with the exception of the paint strainers I mentioned earlier).
If you find one, please let us know.

Originally posted by stevemon
I used one of the K&N Fuel Filters on a few kits I've installed and never heard any negative feedback on them so I guess they worked OK. The speedshop where I was buying them dropped the K&N line and I never looked for another source.
The one I used was similar to this one.
81-0241.jpg

That looks almost exactly like the Carroll filter! Clear plastic housing with stainless mesh filtering element. Nothing to rust! I found the part number for the 1/4" hose barb filter-- it's 81-0231

Look here for all sizes/styles. http://www.knpowersports.com/docs/accessories.html

Looks like the perfect solution. Gonna order one up right now. Thanks!

Troy

Called K&N..the filter they sell is not compatible with methanol. Has to do with the adhesive used on the plastic.

Found one

Originally posted by Razor
Called K&N..the filter they sell is not compatible with methanol. Has to do with the adhesive used on the plastic.

Found one

I'm going to be using straight water anyways. I'm not going for all out performance, just a little bit of cooling.

Still, good to know it's not compatible with methanol.

Troy

No matter, I found what I was looking for.

Purolator part number F65364 fuel filter. Application is a 99 Ranger flex fuel vehicle.

7.99 at Advance auto parts. Fully compatible with methanol per the engineer at Purolator filter.

I have mine on order. Its 2 inches round, one end has 3/8 the other 5/16. There is a new one coming out with 3/8 and 3/8 for the explorer sport truck 2004. Ford doesnt list it yet.

Stainless filter with appropriate glues and element to handle methanol.

Shhh..dont tell anyone. ;)

Its a stainless EFI filter so easy 60-100? I put it on the feed line not the pressure line...even tho I dont think it will matter.

Picked it up today..sweeeet and cheeeep :)

I didnt ask if it would hold 200 PSI.. Ohh well ;)