Going tuner style helped, but...

Dan K

I decided to take the wastegate solenoid out of play today so that I could figure out why I had a 4lb fluctuation in boost. Wastegate is adjusted to its shortest length and 1st would spool up quick and hold 18psi, 2nd would fluctuate 17-19psi, and then on a shift into 3rd it would shoot up to 21psi and then fall back down to 17 and fluctuate from 17-19.
After doing a search and reading probably 100 threads, I checked the y-fitting for correct orientation, checked for a leak at the header/turbo, and checked all turbo and intercooler connections. All checked out good.
Hooked it up tuner style and now with the wastegate adjusted about as short as I can get it...it doesn't seem to spool up quite as fast (but still not bad) but it holds 20psi in 1st and 2nd and then after shifting to 3rd it climbs to 21 and holds it. Perfect.
Question is, does this mean that the wastegate solenoid is bad and that is why I'm getting the fluctuation?
Could it be that the y-connector isn't the correct .050?

The y-orifice is a possibility, but a slim one at that. They are known to cause overboost situations, not fluctuations. You may have a possible vacuum leak. Or it may be your solenoid like you said... :)

I'm suprised there are people that still mess around with this stuff. I suggest that you quit messing with it, and look into one of my Boost Controllers. You'll save alot of time.

email:dcc@japan.com

-DC:cool:

Originally posted by Sinful6
I'm suprised there are people that still mess around with this stuff. I suggest that you quit messing with it, and look into one of my Boost Controllers. You'll save alot of time.

I have a boost controller. That's not the problem. I'd like to keep my in-car adjustability, and you're "controller" isn't what I'd need.
Thanks. :)