Going Megasquirt

Also I have my ECM and trans controller all setup for a friends truck. I have a Jimstim and transtim I built that I can test them with. I have the canbus setup done and it seems to be working well. Have you tested yours? from the pictures it looks like you may be missing some circuits... Especially if you followed the 4L80E build guide, upon building mine I found a bunch of stuff didn't work because they don't include it in the install guide. I had to look at the 4L60E guide to know which ones to add. Here is a quick video I made one night running them on the stim. (Don't mind my pajamas... LOL) Also It was late and I labeled it MS3x... instead of MS3... Doh

,Dan

Hey Dan,

Nice video.

I was having a problem loading the firmware on my GPIO so I ended up sending it to Al Grippo and he reflashed the bootloader. I just got it back on Thursday and have verified that the CAN comms work.

What all is missing for the 4l80e build? It seems like everything was there.

Hey Dan,

Nice video.

I was having a problem loading the firmware on my GPIO so I ended up sending it to Al Grippo and he reflashed the bootloader. I just got it back on Thursday and have verified that the CAN comms work.

What all is missing for the 4l80e build? It seems like everything was there.

I think i was missing a couple complete circuits for things like, tap shift and the circuits for controlling the shift indicator lights... Oh well I dont think it was anything you needed to do basic trans control.

,Dan

Well everyone I think it is time to take MS3's abilities to the next level. When I get my current projects done I will be doing a progressive Alky setup that will be completely controlled by MS3's main V3 board. It should be fairly simple and straight forward since the Shurflo pumps are only 10 amp draw and the injector circuits on the main board can control 20 amps. I will also wire up a relay to turn on the control solenoid at a set boost, then let the PWM controll flow from there. This way I should be able to control a kit that is just as able as Razors kit for Much less. All I should need I have already so in my case free... But in others cases <$200..

,Dan

Whoa ok so do you mean the MS3 can control the pump speed itself? ie If you just have a pump and a nozzle, the ms3 will control the pump speed and hense the alky volume.

My plan is to have the ms3 flip a relay which will kick on the pump and spray a constant volume, similar to just a hobbs switch.

I thought the other option was to have a continuous pump speed with a return line system similar to the stock fuel setup. Then the MS3 would control a PWM solenoid valve which would work analogous to an injector. Constant pressure with a "fast acting valve".

Whoa ok so do you mean the MS3 can control the pump speed itself? ie If you just have a pump and a nozzle, the ms3 will control the pump speed and hense the alky volume.

My plan is to have the ms3 flip a relay which will kick on the pump and spray a constant volume, similar to just a hobbs switch.

I thought the other option was to have a continuous pump speed with a return line system similar to the stock fuel setup. Then the MS3 would control a PWM solenoid valve which would work analogous to an injector. Constant pressure with a "fast acting valve".

Haha, yeah it can contol the pump speed itself just like Razor's kit does by having the computer send a PWM signal.

Also I forgot to mention that I am doing bluetooth right now as well, it showed up yesterday "$10 off ebay :)" but I dont have a serial port on my computer and my adaptor wont work with Hyperterm so I am waiting on a direct USB ->TTL converter to come in the mail ($6 ebay as well) so i can change the baud rate from 9600 to 115200 t0 communicate with the MS3/x. Then I will be able to flash/ datalog wirelessly with my laptop as well as view data and log on my Droid phone live through a fast connection. This is something that I also believe the "High Dollar" controllers cannot do.... Though I could be wrong.

,Dan

Is it the IGBT circuit that can control the pump?

I've read the threads about using the bluetooth setup, let me know how it works for you.

I had a ton of trouble with a usb to serial adapter. Which chipset did you get? Mine was a prolific and its a POS with windows 7. I guess the ftdi ones are good though. I eventually bought a serial pci card for my desktop. I only need it to flash firmware to the GPIO so its ok only having a working DB9 on the desktop.

I've read the threads about using the bluetooth setup, let me know how it works for you.

I had a ton of trouble with a usb to serial adapter. Which chipset did you get? Mine was a prolific and its a POS with windows 7. I guess the ftdi ones are good though. I eventually bought a serial pci card for my desktop. I only need it to flash firmware to the GPIO so its ok only having a working DB9 on the desktop.

My adaptor from USB to Serial works fine for writing the GPIO board though trying to use hyperterm through it to the Bluetooth module seems to pose issues. Either of the injector INJ1 or INJ2 are supposed to be able to run the pump. It looks like the IRFIZ34N (Q1, Q5) can support 20-29 amps depending on conditions.

,Dan

The IGBT VB921 I would think should also be able to control the pump without an issue...

,Dan

I am very interested in running an Alky pump via MS3's main board! I have a Snow Performance tank and pump on the car that I would like to eventually control via MS3. Keep up the good work.

I have an unrelated question: When running the C3I should the Spark Output be set to 'Going High (Inverted)' or should it be set to 'Going Low (Normal)'?

TIA

Its been a while since I have used the stock coil pack. Im on my phone right now but I have a thread with a stock tune on it for you. I am almost positive all GM HEI and DIS use going high (Inverted).

Ok everyone I have gotten a little bit of time and with a little bit of messing around I have my wireless bluetooth setup up and running. You can get the modules for really cheap ($7) but I opted for the board with the LED and circuits built in so I could run direct 5v so it was REALLY expensive..... Ugh just kidding it was $11 shipped! LOL This was really easy to do and there are no crazy circuits needed just a simply solder the 4 wires to the board after changing the Baud rate of the adapter to 115,200 and wallah you are ready to wirelessly Tune,Log, and View from your PC and Log/View from your Droid phone! You will need a laptop with a serial or a desktop PC with a serial so you can change the baud rate on the Bluetooth as well as set the Name and Password to it if you like. If you dont have a serial laptop dont worry you aren't out of luck just pick up a $6 USB->TTL converter and plug the bluetooth into it and change the information on Hyperterm. NOTE; A USB->Serial convertor does not work in this case! I fought not being able to get it to work becuase I was trying to use a serial adaptor instead of going straight from USB->TTL. I can do a writeup if anyone is interested since its really easy!

,Dan

Attachments

• DroidXMS3.jpg
    DroidXMS3.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 132
  • 2012-03-19_20-40-38_929.jpg
    2012-03-19_20-40-38_929.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 126
Sweet!

Can you give a link to the module you used? Do you think it could be mounted in the case with just the antenna sticking out for full range?

Have you done any reading to see which usb bluetooth dongle is best? Or are they all the same?

I was just looking at the options of using tablets with bluetooth and it looks like while the android tablets can monitor with shadowlogger, they cant run tunerstudio. Sounds like the windows 8 tablets will be able to though, is this what you concluded too?

Sweet!

Can you give a link to the module you used? Do you think it could be mounted in the case with just the antenna sticking out for full range?

Have you done any reading to see which usb bluetooth dongle is best? Or are they all the same?

I was just looking at the options of using tablets with bluetooth and it looks like while the android tablets can monitor with shadowlogger, they cant run tunerstudio. Sounds like the windows 8 tablets will be able to though, is this what you concluded too?

I have looked into tablets but at the moment they are too expensive for my taste.

This is the Bluetooth module from the same people I bought mine from- http://www.ebay.com/itm/Serial-Blue...?pt=AU_Laptop_Accessories&hash=item4160925a45

I would also recommend you buy a USB to TTL converter as well if you have a computer without a true serial port since it will make life a breeze-
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB2-0-TTL-...lectrical_Equipment_Tools&hash=item3f101017cb

Also I just bought the cheapest bluetooth dongles for my computer that I could find I bought two for $3.6x shipped! lol They work just fine and are still registering ~13 frames per second so for me they are fine unless you have remote start and want to do cold start tuning from your living room and even in then they would probably still reach fine! ;-)

,Dan

Thanks for the tips Dan,

I ordered the 2 dongle deal for $3.50 shipped (can you say chinese subsidised??) and the same bluetooth module for $11.

Just a little question while I'm waiting for the parts to arrive. Does the Rx and Tx on the BT module just wire to the TXD-1 and RXD-1 (cpu pins PS1 & PS0)? Essentially, does it bypass the rs232 chip and wire directly to the megasquirt cpu? My desktop has a legit serial port now so changing the baud rate shouldnt be a problem.

Thanks again this should kick more ass than having to hold my laptop up for people to look in window to see the gauges move lol

Thanks for the tips Dan,

I ordered the 2 dongle deal for $3.50 shipped (can you say chinese subsidised??) and the same bluetooth module for $11.

Just a little question while I'm waiting for the parts to arrive. Does the Rx and Tx on the BT module just wire to the TXD-1 and RXD-1 (cpu pins PS1 & PS0)? Essentially, does it bypass the rs232 chip and wire directly to the megasquirt cpu? My desktop has a legit serial port now so changing the baud rate shouldnt be a problem.

Thanks again this should kick more ass than having to hold my laptop up for people to look in window to see the gauges move lol

You can go directly to the CPU or at the RS232 chip I just put mine at the chip it was really easy to do and is a direct wire in. I stole the 5v and GND signal from the serial port (soldered on to through hole terminals on board at serial connector) and then wired the Rx/Tx to the RS232 chip terminals.

,Dan

Took the MS 3 car to the drag strip today, and it preformed flawlessly. Just a few break in runs but I couldnt be happier with the MS3 . the trans on the other hand well not as good.

Great to hear all is going well! Is it still the 200R4?

I have been pretty deep in work on mine building a whole new "Wire Tucked" harness. I have the Bluetooth Wireless tuning up and going as well, it was fairly easy as well and I could do a write-up on how to do it if any of the MS3 guys on here are interested (it comes in really handy for me when I was testing on my turbo snowmobile). I will also be adding a Ford Flex Fuel Sensor, Ford IAC, and MS3 controlled Alky injection.

I for see the Alky control to be just as good or better than a Razor kit and it has a lot of function built in. It has Alky control based on a PWM (Flow) map, TPS, RPM, MAP, and MAT. The transistors in the Inj1/2 pins can carry up to 14 amps continuous so this should work great as well as the controller being able to run a flow control solenoid near the nozzle to stop from sucking in Alky while the pump is off. I have bench tested this a little bit and it seems to work out. The best part is it cost right around $150 for everything from Devil's.

,Dan