Going from girdled to non girdled Machining required?

Sleeper

Wondering if I have to re hone the mains if I use a block that was girdled, as a non girdled setup?

Actually a Stage I block does have production style main caps. If you are removing a girdle from a Stage I block and relacing the caps you can get billet steel caps from Program Engineering.

Neal

Time to resurrect this thread.
Long story short...I had a 4.1 NA block machined for a stroker setup (3.625 stroke crank, 6.350 rods, 4.000 forged pistons) ended up that the deck height was taller in the NA block vs the Stage 1 block where the setup originally came from, so the pistons were too far in the hole yielding a really low comp ratio. I managed to get my hands on the original Stage 1 block
and now want to transfer over the rotating assembly from the NA block to the stage block.
Question is... Can I use the NA caps on the stage block that originally ran a girdle without a line hone?

no you cant just pop em on and go , they will bolt up but anytime you go swapping caps especially on a block that was already line bored you will need a line bore , a hone usually wont do it
..and std caps on a stage block (2 bolt mains) is a waste of a good block
you can run the standard #1 and #4 caps but unless hp goals are low at minimum i would get a pair of center billet caps installed and then that block will be ready for future hp needs

no you cant just pop em on and go , they will bolt up but anytime you go swapping caps especially on a block that was already line bored you will need a line bore , a hone usually wont do it
..and std caps on a stage block (2 bolt mains) is a waste of a good block
you can run the standard #1 and #4 caps but unless hp goals are low at minimum i would get a pair of center billet caps installed and then that block will be ready for future hp needs

Thanks. looks like I'll be going with some billet caps.

I knocked .035" off my 4.1 deck and my cometics seal well enough to crack 2 pistons during a lean spell.

I knocked .035" off my 4.1 deck and my cometics seal well enough to crack 2 pistons during a lean spell.
Good to hear. I'm in the process of building a 273 cu. in. 291 and am leery about the thin deck. I'm only removing enough to clean the deck to a nice smooth surface. Did you remove any of the head bolt threads in the deck?

.025" is right at the thickness of 5 or 6 sheets of paper. It's not like taking off 1/4'' of meat.

I knocked a couple threads out and got rid of all the sharp casting flash in all the deck holes. When I started building my 4.1 I didn't know they blocks were taller than 109's so it was a surprise to me. That's why I'm working with a race piston manufacturer to tool up for Buick slugs. That way I can just more the wrist pin down .035" and leave the meat on the deck (and not have to machine it in the first place)

If you get the block decked, have it square decked if at all possible. Mine have been off from .005-.007 end for end. Also, the 4.1 has a reputation for cracking between the head bolt holes and the water passages. I believe it has to do with the bolts or studs pulling on the deck surface. Like Earl said, take out a thread or two if you deck it. I had no problem with a factory deck for years, but when I had that block decked .010 on a rebuild, it was cracked the next time I pulled the heads.

If you get the block decked, have it square decked if at all possible. Mine have been off from .005-.007 end for end. Also, the 4.1 has a reputation for cracking between the head bolt holes and the water passages. I believe it has to do with the bolts or studs pulling on the deck surface. Like Earl said, take out a thread or two if you deck it. I had no problem with a factory deck for years, but when I had that block decked .010 on a rebuild, it was cracked the next time I pulled the heads.
291? How much power?

484 block. It's a N/A with nitrous, stroker, Champion GN1 heads, full roller, about 450 hp in a 2900 lb body.