Go ahead and say "I told You So"

Lee_Burough

..Never Forget..
Staff member
Its about the BOV on my TTA :eek: I know experts say we don't NEED one. Go ahead and say "I told You So" and lets move on....

My stock turbo made a lot of noise after a WOT burst as the throttle went back to the idle position (after the purchase of my new turbo, there was more shaft movement that I expected from the 5k turbo). I was always making recorded runs with turbolink to test this and that during the tuning process. Welp, I have more money than I want to admit in this new Ta-49 turbo and want to keep it in the best shape I can.

One good reason to run a power plate is that it should extend the longevity of any LC2 engine. That reasoning, applied to the groans coming from my stock turbo after WOT bursts, led me to the conclusion I wanted to use the same tactic to prolong the life of my new turbo.

So, I bought the BOV mounted in the up pipe. I put it in there and immediately lost 4 psi of boost and heard whistling under boost (I concluded this was normal for a BOV diaphragm spring with too little tension on it). I tightened the set screw against the diaphragm spring, and the boost came back to the stock 16.5 psi. But, no sound from the BOV, under boost or after boost.

HERE IS MY QUESTION:

With no "sound" from the BOV after WOT throttle bursts at 16.5 psi, can I expect the BOV to come affective as I increase the boost over stock? Or, does this little exercise mean that there is no compressor surge and I really don't need a BOV at all? Or, does this little exercise mean that I really don't need a BOV at all?

Be gentle with me ;) I already feel pretty humble :)

leeb

I hav not had any problems with my HKS SSQ BOV. I did a lot of reasurch and found out that 99% of the BOV out there are made for 6-12 psi. Our cars are considered a "High Boost" application. I have no leaking or boost spiking or really any problems at all. except no compresser surge.

Let me know if you want a pic of the set up...

It sounds like you overadjusted it so it won't blow untill well past 16.5psi and that is why you don't hear it. Try backing it off some or set it off the car with a pressure source and gauge.

And great, now we got 2 of you guys:D

How is it hooked up? There is a boost /vacuum line to it right?

ounds like you have boost only going to it? The BOV should pull open as soon as you snap the throttle closed and it "sees" vacuum. It should be closed the rest of the time. Occasionally the vacuum source is strong enough to cause it to open at idle, thats when you want to add spring pressure to it, to stabilize the idle signal.

Hehehehe!!

Here it is!! "I told you so"!!!
Ever wonder why the "other guy" got rid of it"???:D :D :D

Happy Holidayz!!!!:cool: :cool:

:)

I expected some "feedback" like that Chuck :)

Yes, it did enter my mind that there was something I didn't know about the BOV, but, the things I don't know make a long list ;)

The Air Force taught me to be a test pilot for Viet Nam era helicopters after they had undergone heavy maintenance. I understand the principle involved to adjust the set screw on the BOV in small increments until it stopped whistling under boost (If I back the set screw out even a quarter turn, it will whilstle at the current boost setting).

My question still remains:
With no "sound" from the BOV after WOT throttle bursts at 16.5 psi, can I expect the BOV to come affective as I increase the boost over stock? Or, does this little exercise mean that there is no compressor surge and I really don't need a BOV at all?
I have considered GTAburnout's observation, and the possibility that this BOV could be limited to somewhere around my current boost settings. The other possibility (I'm hoping :) ) is that it will take more boost to get a compressor surge and activate the valve....Meaning, When I crank the boost to 18-20 psi, there may be enough compressor surge to trigger the valve after a WOT burst....

You didnt say if it is hooked up with a manifold reference line or not.

When I borrowed one from a friend it bolted to the up pipe and had a line that went to a vacuum source after the throttle blade(meaning one that saw boost and vacuum).

From what I saw,when under boost the line added pressure to the spring keeping the valve closed and the boost going into the motor.When you lift the throttle a combination os the pressure on the face of the valve plus the vacuum taking pressure off the spring allowed it to bleed off surge pressure.The looser I set the screw the longer it would stay opened after I lifted,but it never opened under boost no matter how much I loosened the screw.

Is this how yours is set up?I cant see how it will work well without a reference line.

As for mine I took it off as I did not like the way it sounds,too much like an import for me.Plus I figure just about all of us will be upgrading our turbo's before they have a chance to go bad :D

HTH,
Steve

Yes Steve, that does help....

I'll see if I can get a set of instructions to hook the system vacuum lines to the valve. I saw the hookups on the BOV, but, had a completely wrong idea about their purpose. Thanks:)

If I can extend the turbo life, the sound is something I'll learn to live with.

leeb

TO see if it is actually working you should mount a whistle to the dump on the BOV, then you will know if it is blowing or not, besides it would sound really cool:D :D :D

WooooooooooWoooooooooooooooooooo

LMAO

I can't say "I told you so" because you went ahead and did it before asking me:D

Originally posted by lburou
I'll see if I can get a set of instructions to hook the system vacuum lines to the valve. I saw the hookups on the BOV, but, had a completely wrong idea about their purpose. Thanks:)

Hook them up acording to the instructions and I'm sure it will work right,then nobody can say I told you so :D

And I understand what you mean about anything that can extend the life of the turbo.Mine actually didnt sound all that bad and this may sound stupid but I actually like the sound of the turbo flutter when you let off,even though it is bad for the turbo.

I may go back to one as I have heard that compressor surge is even worse on a turbo like mine with a big shaft than a small shaft turbo.

Let us know how it works for ya,
Steve

"The Whistle Goes WoooooWooooo"

:D

1badTTA, I had to read that twice twice before it hit me....ROFLMAO

Whatever happened to that link? You know, the interview at the muffler shop in Oakland :)

Thanks Guys :)

Fact: a good blow off valve adj proprely will work just fine and help save the Turbo from un-needed stress...

Things that could be wrong...
1. BOV is crap buy a better one...
2. Vac line is not responding like expected, try another
3. Bad adj on BOV, start with it all the way loose and slowly tighent untill no compresser surge is heard.
4. You did something diffrent and the Turbo Buick God has punshed you, return to stock and NEVER venture from the given path...

Soap box mode....

:p :p :p Told Ya So :p :p :p

hehehehe

Looks like I beat TTA89 to the punch...

Some actually put check valves in line with the sneezers..uh I mean BOV :D

Wonder if a BOV will prevent the exhuast turbine fins from burning up on my PT51 turbo?? :rolleyes:

Cheers

Originally posted by Razor
Wonder if a BOV will prevent the exhuast turbine fins from burning up on my PT51 turbo?? :rolleyes:

Cheers

Nope, you need a turbotimer to prevent that:D :rolleyes: :D

What brand of BOV did you buy and what series? TurboXS RFL valves are only good to 25 PSI along with BLITZ and Greddy units in a little lower rating unless you upgrade their springs which is usually another 20 bucks.

I'm currently wondering about the 4 stars on this thread.

is it 4 stars.. man dont get one.. or is it 4 stars..watchout if you get one..or 4 stars.. this is what happens when you get one

:D

hehehe