GNX for sale....Cheap?

In the classic muscle car business, doing what they've done, and then calling it "GNX #298" is tantamount to fraud, no ands, ifs, or buts. This car is NOT #298. #298 had it's own frame, with it's own VIN attached to it. Just because you can interchange parts does not authenticate the car. What they are doing is illegal and everyone should stay far away from this car. If you did buy it and then went to sell, what do you think the average buyer would conclude if they knew the whole story?

The car might be IDENTICAL to a real GNX, but it is not a REAL GNX since it was not built by McLaren. If I take my GN and get NOS GNX parts put on it, and then the GNX suspension, it's identical to a real GNX...and still a clone.

It's a nice car that I'd love to own...I Wouldnt be afraid to drive it and modify it. It'll only get 28k by an unschooled buyer.

Originally posted by JayLashua
You fools
Harsh words. That really hurt.:(

What makes a GNX a GNX?

The turbo
The intercooler
The EPROM
The plaques
The Badges
The Fender Flares
The Louvers
The Rear End.
The Wheels.
[/QUOTE]

Ah, how about the VIN? Drilling out the rivets, and reattaching to another car is not restoring a GNX, and it is not legal. That is why car thieves get in so much trouble. It does have a reconstructed title, but those are if you use parts from a donor car to repair the damaged one. Not if you take the cigarette lighter out of the damaged one, and use it's vin, and call it a restoration.

Its a clone !!!! Restoration ????? I didnt see that . All they did was swap a few parts including the VIN . It's not a GNX anymore !!:p

RD

Should I call him and ask him what he considers a restoration? I mean, for me, a restoration is using as much of the original car as possible. This has to include the frame, without the frame its not a resto anymore. what this guy did was take a few things (engine, gauge cluster, washer fluid container, and master cylinder) they didnt even have the wheels, if you notice in one of the wrecked pics there is a Monte Carlo wheel on the car.

How about this, someone let me know where I can get the suspension, wheels, gauge cluster, louvers, vents, and badges and I will make my car a GNX. If anyone out there can make the dash badges I would like one saying GNX #548.

That way I could say I restored the lastest of the last GNX's ever made (just dont check the VIN) ;)

Originally posted by TylerDurden
ive been thinking about this car all nite as to whether its a GNX still or not, and I think i am going to disagree with most on here, but in theory, not nessessarily on THIS car.
if you were able to remove every GNX part and transplant it, including vin tags (whether illegal or not) then i would say it is GNX.
IF after all was said and done, Mclaren themselves could not even tell the diff....then why isnt it a GNX? The only difference between a real GNX and a clone is the official number right? But in essence its the same car...just did not roll off the line/mclaren factory that way.
Now dont get me wrong, im not sure i would have gone the route they did, i would have let GNX 298 die.
I do see a difference in making a GNX 548 vs using all parts from an EXISTING GNX and transplanting it all.

just another way to look at it...

Originally posted by JayLashua
You fools

What makes a GNX a GNX?

The turbo
The intercooler
The EPROM
The plaques
The Badges
The Fender Flares
The Louvers
The Rear End.
The Wheels.

If they put all of that stuff on a GN body the SAME WAY GM did in 1987, then IT'S A GNX.

They have shops building eleanor clones, and guess what? They are true shelby/ford mustangs. Why wouldn't the same go for this? There is nothing special about a GNX aside from the fact that GM contracted a large company to convert them! If someone takes a GN and does the SAME EXACT THING to it, then how is it not a GNX?

My opinion on this is exactly the same as JayLashua and I agree with alot of what Tyler said. If someone is buying this car as a driver to keep then for all practical purposes it is a GNX. I guess being a real GNX is in the eye of the beholder. Enough cliche's...oh wait, we all know what opinions are like!!!
;)

Originally posted by dhauser
#298 had it's own frame, with it's own VIN attached to it. Just because you can interchange parts does not authenticate the car.

my sentiments EXACTLY. this car is a clone, and should be advertised as nothing but A CLONE.

" this car has a damage history, all of the repairs were documented "

the GNX was picked apart and was not repaired, its parts were transfered to a donor car, clearly noted on the website. they are selling a GN with GNX parts. clearly a CLONE :rolleyes:

Originally posted by S1NISTER 87GN
my sentiments EXACTLY. this car is a clone, and should be advertised as nothing but A CLONE.

" this car has a damage history, all of the repairs were documented "

the GNX was picked apart and was not repaired, its parts were transfered to a donor car, clearly noted on the website. they are selling a GN with GNX parts. clearly a CLONE :rolleyes:

And with the mileage and the original GNX motor they could probably get 20K for that car. That is selling it with all of the GNX parts minus the VIN and saying its a GNX clone. Hell, I would consider it if I were still in the market and it wasnt being passed off as a true GNX.

This reminded me of a friend and his 65 Impala SS. We stripped the paint and found the rear quarters were badly rusted and poorly repaired at one time as well as some othe damage. He had already stripped and rebuilt the frame and suspension as well as a new engine and trans. So he located a low mileage reg. bench seat 283 Impala that had hit a wall. Front clip and frame were damaged. We swapped the shell onto the SS frame along with the SS's front clip and door.
So what do we have now? Is it an SS or a reg. variety Impala? He decided to consider it a regular Impala with SS components and even kept the original Ca black and yellow plates and bench seats/column shift. What was left of the SS and the warped frame went to a classic Chevy parts dealer who pieced it all out. At least the parts went to save other cars.
The point is the car didn't not come factory with these parts so it should not be claimed to be a real GNX.
Almost all muscle cars are the sum of their parts. These parts could be added onto the base models usually easily but that doesn't make an F85 a 442 or a Regal with a turbo transplant a GNX.

It is a clone using original parts from a GNX that was totaled. The VIN attached to the original car is stated to be a GN not a GNX. Well as the badges state it is a GNX, this is true to a extent, but EVERYBODY knows now what it has been through. The value in this car is for the guy who doesn't have enough $$ to buy a "authentic" one and is fooling himself that it is more. He has the "best" clone available. If it was a TRUE GNX, it would still yield the value of a ORIGINAL AUTHENTIC GNX with 64k miles. The numbers speak for themselves, all you guys who do not believe, argue with that.

Originally posted by noslo6
My opinion on this is exactly the same as JayLashua and I agree with alot of what Tyler said. If someone is buying this car as a driver to keep then for all practical purposes it is a GNX. I guess being a real GNX is in the eye of the beholder. Enough cliche's...oh wait, we all know what opinions are like!!!
;)

Hey, if you can actually convince yourself of something and BELIEVE it to be true, you are capable of more than most.

It is not a GNX, the $$ will prove that.

So what is the VIN on the car they are selling?

At their web site, you can see the VIN in the old windsheild and on the ASC buildsheet.

Anyone know?

Originally posted by jsta6
So what is the VIN on the car they are selling?

At their web site, you can see the VIN in the old windsheild and on the ASC buildsheet.

Anyone know?

Add a 5 to the vin. That is the only one that will satisfy carfax.com. I don't have an account, it just says it has 4 records, but I don't know what those are.

Another thing about swapping vins. If you look up the vin for #298, it may say 63,000 miles, but the donor GN may have 263,000 miles. That is alot of wear and tear on that chassis that you would not know about. So, for you guys that think it is a GNX, you would be getting a GNX thinking, Hey it only has X amount of miles, when it has 4 times that. That is what is wrong with it.

If the VIN on the car that they are selling is not the same as the VIN on the ASC build sheet, someone should let Hemmings know. I am sure Hemmings will ask them to re-word their ad stating that it is not a GNX.

Originally posted by jsta6
You confused me...

...sorry...:confused:

What do you mean?
The picture doesn't show the whole vin. The last digit is chopped off. Put a 5 at the end of what you can see, and then you can run it in carfax.