Gnx dash

kels87gn

I'm looking to purchase a Gnx dash and cat back exhaust and was wondering which vendors offer it. Are there differences at all in one vendors over another. I just want the correct one. I'm headed to bowling green and may buy both there if offered. Also who has the nicest 3" dual exhaust that exits in the factory location?

I'm looking to purchase a Gnx dash and cat back exhaust and was wondering which vendors offer it. Are there differences at all in one vendors over another. I just want the correct one. I'm headed to bowling green and may buy both there if offered. Also who has the nicest 3" dual exhaust that exits in the factory location?
Here are some possible answers for you my buddy builds a complete GNX style dash by complete I mean it is ready to install evreything fits properly and is centered.

He has done several plus ones for his own car. I will have one at GS Nats...as for exhaust the best selling one is Pypes but its 2 1/2 as for 3 inch you gotta shop around..

GNX dash we sell is not cheap....but it comes minus the headaches...

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Here is the deal email me personally your email and I will send you list of the specs. The price is $2250 plus shipping. But keep in mind this is the entire unit preassembled in other words you don;t hav eto butcher cut your bezel frame work etc...includes my applique which has the colros in it for the panel down the side...everything is centered up. gauges are all new stewart warner with plug and play harness....harness depends on which set up you got currently analog dash or digital as we would need to know that. My guy only has one now built as parts are hard to get to make them...with the gs nats less than 2 weeks away and since he is bringing one if its what you want you may want to put a deposit on it with me so you got dibs on it....granted it is probably priced higher than most but it eliminates headaches and fit issues other units may present.

No trial and error with this unit.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

as for 3 inch exhaust systems try Gbody....the pypes is the go to one for stock format replacement and most popular. By stock format I mean way it exists its not a single cross flow muffler set up its duals...owner of Pypes is a long time good friend of mine and company is located only about 20 mins from my shop.

I bought my Gnx dash from world of Motorworks and later replaced the outer applique with the one from Kirban's because it is more closely resembles the original were the idiot lights shine through . The World of Motorworks one showed white lettering even with nothing illuminated , Kirbans is blacked out and only shows the indicated color when on.
I also found the steel gauge holder would not line up with the 4 small gauges and center plastic bezel it showed a crescent moon outline of the chrome bezel from the gauges I had a new steel holder cad drawn and laser cut to move the gauges over to proper location . The center plastic was good though .
World of Motorworks might have changed his design to address these issues but this was experience when I bought mine .

That's nice, I am betting your guy is Pete Hoffman. Last month he sold me what he called the "last real GNX dash" as part are no longer available. Price was just about what you posted.

http://buickgn.com/CatBack.htm
cat_back4.jpg

price down to $ 1995

the price for kirbans assembled with his applique is the way to go...and i think hes a little cheap on the assembly

as far as i know the WOM is the same one kirban is offering assembled but altered to fit and look more correct

the problems with doing the assembly yourself with the kit from WOM is the gauges dont align to the bezel and the bezel itself needs cutting for depth ,a backer is not included in the WOM kit so you would need source one out or pull yours and modify just to begin the mock up (fwiw its all detailed in the instructions but you have to ask yourself why its sold as a kit if it needs so much modifying to the parts just to work )
doing the WOM kit could easily cost you over 1K for the install if your paying someone and thats if they care about the way it installs ends up and dont just give up on it and unless they have experience with the WOM the end result wont be great , my bet is if they ever played with the WOM they wouldnt touch another one
the WOM can be made to work following the directions but as dennis mentioned his is assembled to a backer and gauges aligned ready to bolt the backer into your dash making it a gauge kit you could install youself and be pleased with the final product . just need to remove your original cluster and backer , remove the wiring case , drill duct behind speedo for the speedo cable, install new upper cable and oil /water senders on motor, connect tach lead and plug in the SES wire

i did the WOM kit with kirbans applique and understood the problems going into it (Dennis didnt have the assembled units at the time). I had to do multiple installs on the bench using a spare backer and then even after i thought i had it right it took multiple installs in the car to get it right ..before install in car i modified the gauge plate and the face plate , i was after a GNX correct appearance so i changed out the incorrect looking 30psi boost gauge (no color but resembles the original gnx 15psi gauge ) I also replaced the tach (it worked but the look wasn't correct for 87). after install in the car I had issues with the gauge functions . had to change out the speedo that WOM broke modifying for vss pickup luckily i found a correct original 87 gnx speedo and at that time also changed out the incorrect functioning fuel gauge (the WOM supplied gauge wasnt for the gm 90 ohm sender so had to get a gauge from summit ) ,

Attachments

• 0810151705a.jpg
    0810151705a.jpg
    406.6 KB · Views: 170
  • 0810151706.jpg
    0810151706.jpg
    433.6 KB · Views: 161
So it sounds like kirbans is the way to go on this one. My dad installed one back in the 90's and said it was pretty difficult. I would like the finished product to be as accurate as possible with least amount of altering.

So am I correct in that the only places to get the dash is kirbans or world of motorsports? For some reason I thought that GNS performance guy was going to start making them. I know they are expensive but it's on the todo list. Gotta have it and it's gotta be quality.

Kirban's is the way to go. Dennis is great to deal with. His customer service is outstanding and if there's any issues he will resolve them immediately. As for the 3" exhaust, I bought mine from TR Custom Parts. If you purchase it from them by the package with the ss clamps. The optional ss band clamps are nice. Haven't installed mine yet, but it's nice craftsmanship.

TR CUSTOM PARTS has a great cat back system and the mufflers are the GNX type. Its like jewelry and sounds great. Nice to see that Kirbans GNX dash fits well and installs easy. Just put out there that WOM had options. Always good to know where you can get parts from the most vendors.

Thanks everyone. I would really like to see some pictures of the one kirbans sells. I'll be calling him this week. Like I said could anyone send me pictures please. The gauges are Stewart Warner right? Or vdo?

I have the WOM set up. It is nice, but took a lot of work ($$$) to get it to fit right. I think overall I paid more than Dennis is asking. Can't go wrong with him.

Thanks for the pictures. I'll probably go with kirbans. They are not cheap I'm finding out. I think my dad said back in the 90's he paid like 500. Times have changed.

the WOM/kirban is a good reproduction of the gauge setup used in the actual GNX
back in 90s that wouldnt have been a gnx dash but a gnx style from poston or AVC using vdo gauges
like this with just a simple flat lens over them
heres pics of the AVC setup i removed to go with the more correct appearing WOM dash

1021141740a.jpg

1021141740.jpg