GN's built in Pontiac MI per day?

Does anyone know how many GN's the Pontiac MI plant built per day?

Thanks
Bass
If you’re referring to the 1987 model which takes into account the extended run production, then you could do some averaging of total number produced divided by available production days (excluding weekends & holidays). I believe start of production (SOP) began in late July/ early August of 1986 and continued until July 31, 1987. Then the extended run allocation of approximately 10,000 GNs began on August 3, 1987 to December 11, 1987. So using the 20, 740 WE2 figure, Buick used 12 months to get to half of the final production total. Then with just the GN rolling down the G-body line for Buick, as the rest of the Regal models were built out by July 31, they pumped out the other half using about 4 1/2 months of production. Maybe some of the Michigan members can confirm that Fisher Body Flint & Pontiac Assembly operated on a single or double shift schedule & whether overtime existed back then, as plant closure was looming.

Thanks for the info. I ordered the vehicle invoice for my car. It shows it was invoiced on 12/1/87. I was trying to determine if the invoice date was the same date it rolled off the line. Figuring the days and GNs they did per day that would be probably right.

Thanks for the info. I ordered the vehicle invoice for my car. It shows it was invoiced on 12/1/87. I was trying to determine if the invoice date was the same date it rolled off the line. Figuring the days and GNs they did per day that would be probably right.
If you pull the rear seat out there should be a build sheet in there. Mine was dated 10/27 which is the date of Fischer body build. Final production was done on the following day. That’s my understanding at least.

Actual build date is most likely a few days before the invoice date.

Cowl tag will show week of month the car was built. See my pdf attached for how to decipher cowl tag info. I'm believing your car was built last week of November 1987.

Driver's door sticker will show month and year of build.

There are two build sheets within the car (if no one has removed them) that would show the actual build date. Like scgnx2 noted above, department cushion room broadcast sheet is hog ringed to the upper part of the rear seat. the 2nd one, the department door broadcast sheet is in the driver's side door, taped to the watershield paper.

Also attached is my pdf of the GM internal documents for the extended production run. Some vendors sold this as a printout in the 2000s. I bought one and scanned it. Perhaps save it for your records.

Attachments

• Fisher Body Tag.pdf
    69.5 KB · Views: 36
  • GN Extended Production Run.pdf
    498.6 KB · Views: 28
I will look for it this weekend. Thanks for the info. I have owned this car for 24 years and never looked. But lately I have gotten the itch to do research on it. I called the owner of the dealership it was sent to originally and asked him a couple of questions. His dealership is gone now, but he works at another local dealership. I asked him why on the carfax it shows the first time it was titled was 1991 with 29000 miles. He thinks that is a mistake because they didnt have any of the GN's sit around long. I was wondering if it was a demo they kept but he said no. Just a big mystery.
Thanks

Actual build date is most likely a few days before the invoice date.

Cowl tag will show week of month the car was built. See my pdf attached for how to decipher cowl tag info. I'm believing your car was built last week of November 1987.

Driver's door sticker will show month and year of build.

There are two build sheets within the car (if no one has removed them) that would show the actual build date. Like scgnx2 noted above, department cushion room broadcast sheet is hog ringed to the upper part of the rear seat. the 2nd one, the department door broadcast sheet is in the driver's side door, taped to the watershield paper.

Also attached is my pdf of the GM internal documents for the extended production run. Some vendors sold this as a printout in the 2000s. I bought one and scanned it. Perhaps save it for your records.
Great info, Thank you.
Interesting they upped the Turbo Engines to 125 builds a day.
They were also setting up stock for Pontiac ASM for Grand National extensions. Which would be the 1500 Pontiac Turbo Trans Ams in 1989.

Thanks for that info Anthony. I haven't checked my cowl tag yet but I was there when it came off the truck on Halloween 1987 so I would expect it was part of the extended run. At least the fit and finish looks like it was a rush job. My car came with option packages I and II and the 6-way power seat. I worked for GM in 85 (Delco Products) and 86 (CPC Tonawanda Engine Plant) and I always thought it odd that a B-O-C product was assembled in a C-P-C assembly plant. I guess it makes sense since they're both G bodies.

I bought a new 1986 GN and traded it for a new 1987 GN built in December 1987. The fit and finish on the 1986 was by far better on the 1986. The 1987 was garaged and the paint was still horrible within four years. So that may be correct that those extended cars were rushed through assembly.

... owned this car for 24 years... carfax...shows the first time it was titled was 1991 with 29000 miles...

While CarFax was founded by two guys from Missouri in 1984, it was around 1993 before the company began to receive some sort of records from all 50 US states. Not complete records for every current and new vehicle event and not prior historical data, just that data events for vehicles from all 50 states were now being forwarded to CarFax as those events occurred.

State motor vehicle records were not in computer format. Same for insurance companies. If they were, records were not in a format to be easily exported. The internet as is known today did not gain popularity until the late 1990s. CarFax did not have a public website until late 1996. Website came about to sell the report directly to consumers. Previously, CarFax only shared their records with paying car dealerships via the traditional fax machine.

Depending when the respective state began an association with CarFax, I'm not surprised records for your car began in 1991. Have to start some where - records before that state began sharing data from its motor vehicle agencies and insurance companies are simply omitted.

You know the original dealership that sold the car. If you have not purchased a copy of the GM invoice to the dealership, you can add that document to your papertrail. purchase from GM media archives.

Paul at winvoices.com will create a masterful reproduction window sticker.

Additionally, depending upon the title requirements of that state, whether a car title is always required to sell a vehicle regardless of age or if the state's motor vehicle agency does not require vehicle titles for model years older than 25 years, you can contact that state's motor vehicle agency to request copies of the original application for title, copies of the original title, and any other records that agency has on file. There is usually a fee to retrieve copies of any records that may exist.

Many state agencies have a historic vehicles dept. Each would have a specific form to complete, have that document notarized, and return it with a copy of the car's current title document in your name as the requestor, showing ownership of that VIN.

Establishing a paper trail today for 1980s records would not be possible if the state does not require titles for vehicles older than 25 model years. Those records have already been purged from their databases. Some states do not keep title records older than 10 years. But some states keep title records and other documents on file as long as those records exist. Those states scanned the old paper records to microfische and/or microfilm before digital records existed AND have kept those records. Perhaps something to explore.

Thanks for all the information. I will contact my state dept. I looked for my original invoice in the back seat and it was not there. I will check the door panels this weekend.