GN1R's cracking between the valves?

TurboTR

sprayhead
It appears that I may have 4 chambers that are cracked between the valves. These are not hairline cracks; the material appears to have parted noticeably. Has anyone else seen this on theirs? Any hopes of repair? It is awfully thin between the valves there. My heads have 1.95 and 1.65 valves. I guess the seats are the same as std though(?) Maybe the seats were a bit too tight of a press fit at install time? Any input is appreciated...

TurboTR

Todd,

James Kay actually forwarded me your pic earlier today. Honestly I don't think this is the worst place the heads could crack. Many OEM heads crack between the valves seats like this. I would remove the seats and grind out the crack, weld it up and re-install some new seats.

Actually you might be able to find a seat with a larger O.D. where they butt together and eliminate the crack by machining it out. I know some of the Stage II heads had seats which actually contact in the middle. FWIW, I think you overtorqued the heads. ;) Yeah right...

Neal

Hehe :) Yeah, they were overtorqued, or detonated 'em obviously ;) I'm taking the heads to Lozano Brothers Porting tomorrow am; they were Buick factory sponsored back in the heyday, and have decades of racing experience. They also suggested we might be able to use overlapping seats to correct the problem. I sure hope so- sounds like the best plan to me.

TurboTR

after looking at the pic, if they are not leaking, I wouldnt fool with it, doensnt really look like a crack, more like where it just got thin during the machining process.

Well these cracks have seemed to develop over the last few years of sitting, lol. After dropping a valve seat in my Camry of all things recently (lol) I do for sure worry about a seat coming loose at the wrong time... Say at 140+ through the traps. You're probably right, it could probably be run as is for awhile at least but I think I'd feel better throwing away some more money on them and try the overlapping seats thing if possibe. Some have suggested that the cracks can often propagate up into the port from there, and that's when a race team might finally do something about it, lol...

TurboTR

Alrighty- we're gonna run 'em, lol. Lozano said I could borrow their bore scope to check things out after running it awhile if I want :) Sounds like a good plan.

TurboTR

cracked heads

my champion R heads cracked in same place tom at champion had them welded up they cracked again same places and the intake seats come loose and leaked compression after four runs they are setting in the garage for sale, nothing last for ever, :)

I do have a set of M@A heads here for you, if you want to go through more punishment. Maybe you should give the new T@A heads some thought. :rolleyes:

Norbs,

The new TA heads are still made of Unobtainium aren't they? ;) Honestly, there are probably 10 pre-production sets out there and no one really knows when there will be more available. TA is busy with all their projects but sometimes I wonder. I thought I was going to have a set by July last year. I finally called and got my deposit back.

Neal

TA Heads

Hang tite TA Heads are comming. Mike is trying to insure that the heads that he is producing are of the highest quality without the problems and defects that plague the current offerings. I just saw a pallet of machined heads waiting for spark plug holes a week ago at TA. He is trying to get them out as fast as possible. We will have a choice soon. :)

Originally posted by 750H.P.V6
Norbs,

The new TA heads are still made of Unobtainium aren't they? ;) Honestly, there are probably 10 pre-production sets out there and no one really knows when there will be more available. TA is busy with all their projects but sometimes I wonder. I thought I was going to have a set by July last year. I finally called and got my deposit back. Neal

You are a little out of touch Neal, you should call more often!:)

I picked up 3 sets of heads from TA today. Will get norb's heads next week along with a couple other sets.

Will be sending you Len's heads the following week. Just let me know what you need Neal, your word is good enough, do not even need a deposit!:cool:

Nick / Jan,

I'ts nice to know we have some new options. Not sure if I'll be buying a pair of TA heads or not. I've got a guy that wants to buy my complete Off center engine so my ex-Busch GN engine may find it's way under the hood. One way or another I'll be very interested to compare Len's TA heads to my version 4 Champion heads. BTW, thanks for the alternator Nick. :)

Neal

Nick your xmas gift is in the mail , please see if you can get the rockers to fit thanks.

odell4o8,
You have a PM.
Please call me at Anderson Perf.
410 282 9335
Just want to know about the heads you have for sale. If Im not in talk to Billy
Thanks Jeff