GN RECOVERY /TRACKING

john saleeby

Asking for input on what is the best device/product to recover/track a stolen GN.

Pro's and con's of using either a Apple AirTag or a GPS device. Also any helpful hints on wiring or placement and Do's and Dont's in general.

I Always keep a watchful eye but in these perilous times I'd like to give myself an edge and a fighting chance at recovery.

Thank you in advance.

I had teletrac decades ago, if I had the money I would get a new system. Its was a satellite system, and back then in 2000ish after installing, the way it worked was the car is tracked GPS 24/7 and locations recorded but only accessible to the owner of the account. The system could roll up/down the windows, lock/unlock car doors, tell me if the car was running or not and also the location of the vehicle. You would call their client phone number, log in via password and someone would get on the phone immediately.

My favorite part of the system was how they would handle the situation if your car was stolen or missing. You could call them, report it stolen or missing and have the OPTION to get the police involved. IF you decided to get them involved they would call 3 way the PD and wait on the phone while giving the cops the exact location of the vehicle in real time. THIS IS THE KEY, if you didn't want to get the cops involved you could be on the phone in real time and go get your car yourself, teletrac at the time was the only company that offered this. Lowjack back then sucked because only a police car outfitted with the lowjack system could respond to your stolen car report, and if that cop was busy your fawked. AND with lowjack you HAVE TO file a police report then back off and let the cop who has the system installed respond. Teletrac allowed ME to make the choice. And I would rather go get my car back with some 'friends' who could use a good therapy session if you get what I mean.

This was decades ago but I would check out teletrac, I bet what the can offer now is incredible. At the time 2000ish this satellite system cost me $1000 and included 2 years of service, after that $100 a year for service, for me that entire system and way I could interact with the agents via phone was top notch and worth every penny for my peace of mind.

SoCal is perfect for a satellite alarm. Hardly cloudy or rainy so 99% of the time during the year you have a clear signal. Thought I would share my experience because your last sentence "I Always keep a watchful eye but in these perilous times I'd like to give myself an edge and a fighting chance at recovery." Sat alarm doesn't matter the company really but a sat alarm IS the fighting chance for recovery.

John,

I think the best bet is to do everything in your control to keep the car from being stolen in the first place, ie: alarm, kill switch, stored on a secure locked garage etc. I'd tell you that having some sort of GPS is nice but can give you a false sense of security. I have aftermarket GPS on my Hellcat but it's not going to be of much value if it gets stolen and ends up south of the border as a lot of cars do.

Neal

John,

I think the best bet is to do everything in your control to keep the car from being stolen in the first place, ie: alarm, kill switch, stored on a secure locked garage etc. I'd tell you that having some sort of GPS is nice but can give you a false sense of security. I have aftermarket GPS on my Hellcat but it's not going to be of much value if it gets stolen and ends up south of the border as a lot of cars do.

Neal
Second that! Kill switch is cheap and EASY!! Two wires off the fuel pump a switch in the location of your choice. Hell even a CLUB on the steering wheel is a huge deterrent, double down on that with the brake pedal club. 1 kill switch and 2 clubs would help you sleep at night for little investment and be an incredible deterrent.

GPS is great if you can afford it.

I've spent a little time looking into a GPS tracker and honestly wasn't impressed with what was out there. Seems like it should be a bigger market and more options but what I could find was battery powered that lasted 7days. I was disappointed and ended up throwing Apple Air Tags in.

Has anyone tried LoJack lately?

if anyone decides to go the air tag route, be sure to take OUT the speaker so it doesn't beep, then hide it where you want