We need a Forum topic devoted to Anti-Theft

BoyWonder

Paranoid freak here.

But I've recently installed or am finishing installing several layers of not only anit-theft, but theft recovery devices.

I wanted to post a thread on my latest purchase, a high quality, "relatively" ahem.. inexpensive, GPS monitoring device that I think has all the features I am looking for.

I guess this could be posted under "Stolen VIN check" - but that's a little different type of forum.

Now, like the really good thread on the Steadfast Collar lock install, I was going to post my step by step on this GPS, and my experiences with it.

However, I got to thinking.
Paranoid as I am lately.
What if the low lifes read these threads?
and
A- use that info to generally defeat the technologies
Google "Steadfast Collar Buick" and guess what forum thread pops up?
-or -
B - Actually target specific cars or owners

It almost makes me wish the info posted already on various techniques and devices on our forum were not readable to the general public, but required some sort of additional authorization to view.

I wish we could post this info and in that specific thread, delete our user profile.
Or something like that.
Can I make a second, more generic user profile without my personal info for the purpose of describing to the members my layers and how this GPS unit installs, works etc.?

I know - I'm paranoid.

I like the idea, but like you said low lifes read forums too. I have seen a few threads where guys ask what is the best way to theft-proof your car, where to hide stuff and what to wire to, etc, but once the info is out there, its out there. Even if the thread was password protected, no guests, etc, guys would still sign up for a username to get the info I think. I like the idea, maybe some more brainstorming we could all come up with a super secret squirrel way to share the info but not with everyone.

I like your thinking, but even if you could post anonymously,it would still give away secrets on an open forum that any scumbag could read and though they might not get your car, they might see mine and try those tricks that were posted. If it was possible to have a closed forum, how would you id the "good guys" and keep the bad guys out? Guess what I'm saying is please don't post tricks even anonymously,my .02¢

Don't think any forum would be the answer... you're not paranoid, people I personally know don't know the anti-theft measures on my car. I think there are enough resources out there for people to research and do what works best for their budget. Most guys I know have no alarm on their cars and I don't know what they do for theft protection.

HEY, THE VET PLANTED A CHIP IN MY DOG, I THINK WE CAN PLANT SEVERAL IN OUR CAR,IN VARIOUS PLACES,WHY NOT???IF THAT PART TURNS UP ON SOMEONE'S CAR...."BUSTED"!!!!! JUST A THOUGHT..

BILL HAINES said:
HEY, THE VET PLANTED A CHIP IN MY DOG, I THINK WE CAN PLANT SEVERAL IN OUR CAR,IN VARIOUS PLACES,WHY NOT???IF THAT PART TURNS UP ON SOMEONE'S CAR...."BUSTED"!!!!! JUST A THOUGHT..

Not sure this would work?
As you would need a Radio Frequency Identification Scanner no more than a foot away to be able to detect the chip.
I can see it now, at the local car show with a scanner going up to random TRs.

As mentioned, layers of protection are key. There's nothing wrong with discussing protection methods in general, the more the better. Then, as each individual picks and chooses the various methods they like, each car becomes an anti-theft Rubic's cube. I can also personally attest to the fact that keeping your car in sight at all times may be the only way to really be sure it doesn't vanish.

A simple fuel pump cutoff switch usually seals the deal and can be put anywhere you want. No thief is going to have time to go hunting for that (usually). There is also a simple technique that I know a lot of people use in case they plan to just trailer the car....you buy one of those cheesy pre paid phones, never use the minutes and just keep it charged and hidden in the vehicle somewhere when you leave the car so you can use the GPS tracking some of them come with. Just make sure to get one with that option! Viola

GetOwnedVette said:
A simple fuel pump cutoff switch usually seals the deal and can be put anywhere you want. No thief is going to have time to go hunting for that (usually). There is also a simple technique that I know a lot of people use in case they plan to just trailer the car....you buy one of those cheesy pre paid phones, never use the minutes and just keep it charged and hidden in the vehicle somewhere when you leave the car so you can use the GPS tracking some of them come with. Just make sure to get one with that option! Viola

This is a very good idea. Just question is where to put it.

Sent from my iPhone using Turbo Buick

Fuel pump cutoff switch gets my vote... Everything still LOOKS like its going to work but the car just won't start. ;) Doesn't stop the damage from them trying but at least the car will still be there...

This is a very good idea. Just question is where to put it.

I thought so as well...you can even go as far as being sneaky and hardwiring in a charger and the phone to make sure it's always up and running even when you are busy. Just have to make sure the car is on here and there to charge it when you are not daily driving. But with everything on those brick phones turned to zero they last for a LONG time. There is a solid amount of info online about this technique that links you to the types of phones and apps you can get. Basically a LoJack for 30-50 bucks!

The biggest problem are tow trucks. Ten to fifteen seconds and your car is gone. Until recently I had no idea about the mechanics of these trucks. They don't even need to get out of the cab. Back up to the car, lower the stinger, wrap the pickups around the tires, lift and go.

Best way to slow them down is to park with the front tires at a full left or right turn. Then at least they need to break into the car to release the steering lock and get the front wheels straight.

Check out "South Beach Tow" on u-tube. Scary stuff. I don't leave my car out of my immediate sight.

RemoveBeforeFlight

BoyWonder said:
Paranoid freak here.

But I've recently installed or am finishing installing several layers of not only anit-theft, but theft recovery devices.

I wanted to post a thread on my latest purchase, a high quality, "relatively" ahem.. inexpensive, GPS monitoring device that I think has all the features I am looking for.

I guess this could be posted under "Stolen VIN check" - but that's a little different type of forum.

Now, like the really good thread on the Steadfast Collar lock install, I was going to post my step by step on this GPS, and my experiences with it.

However, I got to thinking.
Paranoid as I am lately.
What if the low lifes read these threads?
and
A- use that info to generally defeat the technologies
Google "Steadfast Collar Buick" and guess what forum thread pops up?
-or -
B - Actually target specific cars or owners

It almost makes me wish the info posted already on various techniques and devices on our forum were not readable to the general public, but required some sort of additional authorization to view.

I wish we could post this info and in that specific thread, delete our user profile.
Or something like that.
Can I make a second, more generic user profile without my personal info for the purpose of describing to the members my layers and how this GPS unit installs, works etc.?

I know - I'm paranoid.

I gotta say im as paranoid as you and thinking my only option is a LoJack system. With the remote battery and transponders to put on your key sets the system goes for $995+tax. One time deal and the guys come to install as well.

keep your car kinda crusty looking and no one will want to steal it..
Mines about as crusty as it can get and still gets too much attention and even with no emblems no one is mistaking it for a mc/ss, darnit.
Trixdout, lojack is only good if the local pd has the receiver to hear it and not all of them do. I bought my gn new and a lowlife stole it in 2002, so I'm definitely interested and kinda raw about the topic still. Cheers!