GN Police Cars

87GNTurboTTop

I can still remember the first time I saw a GN. It was an undercover police car, here in Louisville. The car was stopped just before an intersection on Taylor Bv. (major thoroughfare) with it's lights on. It had blue lights behind the grill and seemed to me to be not only the most gorgeous car I had ever seen, but the coolest as well. I was staring in awe at the car as the driver turned off the lights and pulled up to the light at the intersection, then made a right turn. Driver must have hit it cause I remember just seeing a black streak take off down the road like something out of Star-Trek (or one of Toni Baloni's stories :) ) I was confounded. I had never before seen anything accelerate like that car did.

Anyone have any cool stories about TR's used by law enforcement and/or any info on what exactly the cops had in them for mods at the time?

when did you see this? i live in louisville and ive never seen one before, just lots of not so subtle GNs.

yeah I think you are right, it is an 87, the guy who owns it is pretty cool, he took me for a ride in it more than a year ago.

i live in indiana, but im from tennessee i go down there 4 or 5 times a year, back in 86 or 87 i always saw gn on i 65 with cops driving, they were always were around rhe fair grounds or air port exits, i was into show cars and ski boats back then didnt pay much attention to them. just rattling on +

Originally posted by MJDreger
yeah I think you are right, it is an 87, the guy who owns it is pretty cool, he took me for a ride in it more than a year ago.
I think he get his car tuned by shawn in clairton along with alot of other turbo regal owners in the area.

Yeah, I know shawn, I actually bought an 87 Silver T off him this past spring, but the deal kind of went sour so I ended up not buying the car off him. Shawn definitely knows his stuff about Turbo Regals, plus he has tons of parts laying around so he would be a good resource for someone around the Pittsburgh area if you are looking for turbo buick parts.

When I was in Honolulu, Hawaii, early 90's I saw this GN cop car at the airport. It was the real thing. He even had a 4-gauge panel installed. I waited around but never saw the cop.
Here is a pic:
GNCopCara.jpg

I bought an 87 T at a city surplus auction in Arkansas, 2 years ago. It was black with burgandy interior. Funny thing was it had all the GN enblems on it along with the spoiler. I talked to one of the officers who said it was confiscated in a chop shop ring. The cops used it for an undercover car for awhile, then parked it where it sat for several years. Guy I go to church with said he used to see it all the time on traffic stops and such.:)

Back in 88 I was in a convenience store getting some milk or something and a poiceman came in and asked the clerk "where is the police officer driving that car". He replied "there is no officer here" and I said it's mine. He looked stunned and said - sorry. I had a good laugh over that.

My favorite is the Connecticut state police poster...It shows a Mustang LX police chaser, a crown Vic, and a Grand National. On the poster it says "BEFORE YOU DRINK AND DRIVE......THINK ABOUT THE CHASER"

Originally posted by GNSCOTT
My favorite is the Connecticut state police poster...It shows a Mustang LX police chaser, a crown Vic, and a Grand National. On the poster it says "BEFORE YOU DRINK AND DRIVE......THINK ABOUT THE CHASER"

Does anyone have a good scan of that poster? Or the real thing I could get a good digital pic? I'd like to reproduce it with a drafting plotter.

[:)

**THERE IS STILL A GN POLICE CAR IN CHICAGO**

No, this is NOT a misprint. *I* got pulled over by it last year (too bad I wasnt in my GN at the time), but we were at a street racing spot called Doty Road. It was an 87 GN, unmarked, with a Chicago Cop in the driver's seat. He didnt have any lights or anything, instead, he shined a flashlight on us an pulled in front of us and cut us off. A Chicago squad car pulled up at this time too. The GN cop then pulled up next to the car, showed us his badge, and said "get the hell outta here". He pulled away fishtailing and left rubber down the street.

I couldnt believe it. I dont know if this was his personal car and he was trying to look like he was a street racer or what. But man was it a good idea because NO ONE would have guessed that it was a cop.

My dad bought a maroon one a couple years ago that was an FBI car. It had all the shotgun racks and stuff in it. Pretty cool. I wish i knew where the pics were at.

On gnttype.org there is a guy selling an 87 turbo regal which was an ex police pursuit vehicle-- vascar 1
there is a guy in Pittsburgh who owns vascar 3
oh well just my .02

Originally posted by GNSCOTT

Great poster Scott!!!!

I got mine from the actual motorcycle patrolman that was pictured in that poster (the bike right next to the GN). Really great guy!! I met him at one of the Englishtown Raceway Park Buick shows some time back and he saw my GN and he asked if I had the poster with the "patrol cars" on it. I said no, and he said he would send me one. Well a couple of days pass and sitting on my front stoop is a poster tube with 2 of the posters inside, both signed by Trooper Curt Peircey of Watertown, CT.:D

Originally posted by mkazigian
Does anyone have a good scan of that poster? Or the real thing I could get a good digital pic? I'd like to reproduce it with a drafting plotter.

[:)

Mike, I've been wanting to frame my poster for a while now but haven't gotten around to it. I would like to reproduce it on heavier stock as the original is thin and rolled into a tube.

Also, my poster has a signature as posted above. It's still a neat piece and not many people are aware of it's existence.:cool: