GN motor bolt up to TH350 trans and converter?

monte87LS

Im wondering if a GN motor will bolt up to a Turbo350 trans and torque converter, and if this is even something I would want to do, Im debating on putting my 3.8 Turbo motor in my 87 Monte, right now I have a worked SBC 350 in there with a TH350 trans with high stall converter, will V6 slide into that torque converter and bolt right up, fly wheel issues?..anything?..or should that bad boy just bolt right up, I just havent noticed this subject pop up ever, I know the TH350 trans is strong but being a 3 speed will I loose power somehow considering its a V6 Turbo???...200R4 better for some reason on these car???...any info will help, thanks

if its a BOP case it will fit no problem. And its cheaper to build than a 200....waaaaay cheaper

You would need a BOP adapter plate for that trans to bolt up to the engine. When I bought the car I have now it had a turbo 400 in it with one of those plates. I pulled everything out because the engin and trans from my other car was good I just did a swap.

If you are interested in the adapter plate pm me I think I still have it in my shed.

if its a BOP case it will fit no problem. And its cheaper to build than a 200....waaaaay cheaper

How do you figure? You can buy a 850+ hp T350 with brake for approx. $1500 and up. ATI, TSI, or any of the big names can do it for you. The most expensive part is the 36 element sprag. An Art Carr Ultimate 200R4 for 750+ hp is $2795. If you have a BOP or universal bell it is a T350 direct fit. Just need to bend the cooler lines a little bit. Granted I've had some problems with mine holding up. But that didn't happen until I hit the low 11's and into the 10's. My only regret is losing overdrive.

How do you figure? You can buy a 850+ hp T350 with brake for approx. $1500 and up. ATI, TSI, or any of the big names can do it for you. The most expensive part is the 36 element sprag. An Art Carr Ultimate 200R4 for 750+ hp is $2795. If you have a BOP or universal bell it is a T350 direct fit. Just need to bend the cooler lines a little bit. Granted I've had some problems with mine holding up. But that didn't happen until I hit the low 11's and into the 10's. My only regret is losing overdrive.

I think you misunderstood me. I said a th350 is cheaper to build than a 200. I have $500 in mine. It has SEVERAL low 11, high ten passes on it and a TON of high 11.xx - 12.0x passes...still goin strong... Oh yeah...with an off the shelf "cheap" PTC convertor.

And I don't regret losing OD...I never looked back.:biggrin:

I think you misunderstood me. I said a th350 is cheaper to build than a 200. I have $500 in mine. It has SEVERAL low 11, high ten passes on it and a TON of high 11.xx - 12.0x passes...still goin strong... Oh yeah...with an off the shelf "cheap" PTC convertor.

And I don't regret losing OD...I never looked back.:biggrin:

My BAD!!! :D

ok so let me get this straight, if I have a universal bell housing on my th350 then it will slide right into my converter and bolt right up to the motor and all, done deal?...I figured they were all universal?...how would I go about finding out if I have a universal bell housing before actually taking the motor out?..casting#?..I know my buddy has a GN trans 200r4 on his 350 motor with GN torque converter, and I know my Monte came stock with a 200r4, why does the 200r4 bolt right up to both but not the TH350?...also I know I have a high stall converter on my TH350 but I dont know what stall, how much is a cheap yet good high stall converter I would want to go with for my modded GN motor...I was about to get my Monte painted and call it a day then I come up with this crazy yet exciting idea

Because the TH 200 has both Chevy and BOP bolt patterns in the bell housing and the 350 does not.

A universal bell has both the BOP and Chevrolet bolt patterns just like the 200's do as John said. I have a universal bell T350 in my car. They are more on the rare side. Not impossible to find, just hard. If you do have a universal it will have 10 bolt holes for both set ups. Don't count the dowel pin holes!!! :D BOP and Chevy's share the bottom hole. The top four are different for each.

Is this one of the reasons I see so many GN owners ditching their overdrive trannies for old school 3 speeds?

It is great for a swap project, or a car that is in rough shape, but I wouldn't swap a th-350 into a nice street car because it would kill the value.

Buick, Olds, Pontiac, Cadillac bell housings.

BOP_BP.gif

Chevy bell housing

Chevy_BP.gif

"Vari-fit", dual pattern bell housing.

Dual_BP.gif

wow, nice, thats what Im talking about right there!...:biggrin: ...Im gonna go out there tomorrow and check it out, I converted my Monte to a 3 speed about 2 years ago, so I dont remember exactly what it looked like, I'l keep you guys posted with the results, I have a complete T-Type (modded) parked right next to my Monte, Im just gonna have no choice but to convert my Monte to the 3.8 Turbo setup real quick if this swap is "easy" enough

I've had some problems with mine holding up. But that didn't happen until I hit the low 11's and into the 10's.
sounds like you need a better trans. builder, I have several 9 sec. passes on my th350 & looking for some high 8.90's. folks say why don't you do a th400:rolleyes: , answer... less weight, less rolling resistance, & I have one of the best tranny guys you can get.;)