GN Is being held hostage..What can I do?

What's the value of this car? Filing small claims might not be a good idea because I think there is a $2000 limit in MA. How is this not a stolen car? There's no civil dispute here, this is a criminal action. She is not allowing him to take possession of his property. I'd go to the police station and explain the situation. If you don't get anywhere there, then contact an attorney immediately before she can do anything to your property!

sweet talking

of course it may not work but you got some decent input, i agree alot of guys on here aren't in law and the laws vary from state to state. i would go down to the police station explain what's up and take a bill of sale and receipts to EVERYTHING you still have there even the parts so you can get them. since your car isn't apart of their estate then talk to your buddy and see if you can get the info infront of the judge who will be handling the divorce because that's what it sounds like. as for a woman like that, makes people understand how a person can go over the deep end over something like their car. good luck and keep us posted.

Hire me... Ill get your stuff back for you... but its gonna cost you:cool:

I have a friend who does the same thing.

If you report your car as stolen you will be arrested yourself. I promise. Filing a false report is a crime. Work with your police agency that has jurisdiction and follow their instructions. If you need to retrieve your property by taking the lady to small claims court then file the paperwork. I suspect the police agency will assist since it will be very easy to prove ownership of the vehicle. Again, save yourself some trouble and dont file a stolen vehicle report. You will regret it. ;)

Also, asking legal advice here is about useless. Most here do not know the in's and out's of the law in your state, and most here do not work in the legal profession. Get my drift? Good luck.

You will need legal protection as it is in her garage and you cannot cross the foundation to get it with out the proper court documentation. If it was in the yard you can go get. The other problem is how do you prove what is yours that is not attacjed to the car?

I feel bad for you man and what your going to have to go through to get your stuff back.

Bottom line is talking her into cooperating is still the best thing you can do so keep trying otherwise you have to prove what is yours and that is not going to be easy.

Mikey

How is this different than a repo that a bank does? Is there some repo paperwork you need to get?

repo paperwork

repo paperwork would need to be followed up with something. so my opinion would be don't try that. you have a legal battle on your hands and it may take alittle time but i'd make sure the car doesnt go anywhere with checking it out when and if possible.

Any thing that is legally titled only to you should not be a problem to claim (unless she has entered a lien on the title or storage fees). The police may even go to her house with you to prevent trouble from happening. Any thing that you and her husband purchased together or share title on and any individual thing such as the welder and any parts are a different story. Property that was joint with your friend, she has an intrest in. The tools and such are proof of ownership and possession is 9/10ths of the law. Unless she admits no claim then you are stuck until a settlement is reached in court.

Wow , lots of replies..Thanks so much..
I did not intend to get legal advice out of the deal, but maybe hear a story or two of similar situation to compare notes..
Until now I have waited under the advice of the dude who was kicked out..(kinda like , hang in there man , it will blow over) but it hasnt yet..

The GN is titled to me, and the parts car I only have a bill of sale for, from the boneyard that I got it from...
The tools I spoke of are another gentlemens..Nothing is joint ownership, but rather I mentioned in the first post that he went with me to pick up parts and that sort of thing..

The car is in rough sahpe, its basiclly a rotted GN that I was attempting to restore..

I have spoken to the lady and asked to go over there ..Polite converstation.
However she leads on that she believes there is a law preventing me to take anything..
I did not argue on the phone with here, I let it go and here we are..
I intend on going to the local station shortly with my title to see what I can do..
If I dont get anywhere with them, I will have to call up someone..Unfortuantely I am in no posistion to be dishing out money to this, if it gets all legal battleish..
Thanks again

Oh ya, and to add, the car is outside in the yard..Both cars are..Along with a 3rd gentlemens tri-5
We would bring them in and out as we worked on them...
I hope it is as simple as showing the title and going to get it..

Sucks that Common sense dosnt prevail in alot of these type situations .......Cops are not to on the up n up re legal affairs so they alot of the time wash their hands clean of it unless its clear cut n dry / Hope this mess goes good for you .

Send her a polite certified letter.

Tell something along the lines of

IM very sorry for what your dealing with at this present time, you were always very kind and gracious to me and I appreciate every thing you had done to allow me into your home and to be able to work on my car and I cant thank you enough.

I would like to have an opportunity (sp?) to come get my stuff and I would only hope to think that your trust in knowing me that I would only retrive what is mine.

Blah Blah Blah with no reference to any legal action that may take place in the near future.

Stroke her ego good, document everything and good luck

I can't believe no one's asked the most important question....what does she look like???

Hell, for a fee (negotiable upon receipt of pictures of woman), I'll go down there and keep her busy for an hour or so, giving you time to take your stuff back. :tongue: :biggrin:

If she has Kids, just call her & say that the EX is trying to take them from the school. When she fly's out the door You & the tow truck driver GRAB it & your stuff. She will have no leg to stand on.

I think our legal or illegal advice is TOP NOTCH :tongue:

go down there and keep her busy

yea but then you could be charged with breaking and entering A FELONY. who cares what she looks like can you image if she's acting like this what unlucky fool will wind up with her. please keep her over where your at, we have enough crazy chicks in this state. my wife was playing with me and saying she'd take my TB and i told her flat out i'll buy a gallon of gas and burn that b!Tch to the ground. hope you can get a positive outcome out of this. i wonder what your buddy of 6 yrs do, F her mother or sister? she may think she owns part of it if your buddy was telling her he'd take her for a drive and all kinds of other crap like that.

OK Getting better I think

LOL, some good stuff there ..

Well I went to the local police station like a mile or two away from where the cars are..
I first talked to one officer who informed me it was a civil situation and that there wasnt much the police can do.That I would have to contact a constable or deputy sheriff...
He then asked me to hang on and got the seargent ..The seargent pointed out to me that there should be no reason as far as he could tell that the cars could be held..Because I had title and bill of sale with vins..
They drove down to her house while I waited at the station..They let her know I wanted to pick up my cars(parts included) , nothing else.. Apparently she put up no fight.. I told them what they would find and where the parts were . They saw it as I described.
They walked back in and told me all I have to do now is make arrangments with her and I should be all set..
If anything goes sour while I am there , call right away...I dont think it will.I think the presnece of the cops letting her know I could pick them up may have straightend any doubt out..
Now hopefully she will not dodge my calls...

Thanks to all , its not over yet, but looking alot better..

Glad to hear what I mentioned way back in a post about visiting the PD.

You know I was only joking about the stolen report.. I guess others here are too friggin spooled up.. :eek:

Chris keep us posted..

Little 6

DO NOT GO ALONE.

take another person with you (a women) even if she doesn't help you move the stuff.
Don't put your guard down for a second.
Good luck Dude