GN Headlight Conversion

silverbetty

I recently got back into my 85 GN. The difference between the headlights in the GN are night and day from my 2003 Subaru.

I have already done the sealed beam conversion, switching to a set up that allows replaceable bulbs, I think they are 9005.

Does anyone know of an HID conversion for our cars? Or even a HID conversion for the 9005 bulbs?

I found this kit but I'm not sure if it would work. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks,
Tom

9003 Bulbs

I took a look at a 9005 bulb online, but I don't think that is correct. I looked for a 9003 bulb and that looks like it's a match.

On the JC Whitney site it says you can replace the 9003 bulbs with 9004 bulbs. Has anyone heard of doing this?

Thanks,
Tom

I did a search and checked some other threads and read them. It looks like there was a lot of talk about this topic, but not about an HID conversion or if the 9004 would replace the 9003.

Anyone2.gif

Anyone, Anyone...

Don't use any other headlamp conversion except the ones that use the H4 bulb. The H4 is a removeable bulb that has two filaments, one shielded by an internal shield...that's the low beam. Once you convert to H4 headlamps, call me. I have an HID conversion for that application available.

-John Spina
www.casperselectronics.com

www.gnspyder.com

i use the silvania silverstar. it has a blue tint but much brighter at night.

Howdy,

I just put the silverstars in my SR (Supercharged Regal), I don't think I'll ever go back to regular bulbs now! I can't tell as much difference on the Hi beams but on the lows I can now still see my headlights shining on the pavement with streetlights! You can pick them up at any major auto parts place, I got mine at Pep Boys $39.99 for a pair and they have all the 900X's. While HID's are cool and effective, I think these things are a much better deal and provide nearly as good preformance.

Just my $.01, my advice ain't worth any more than that,

I contacted the company that I got my conversion kit from, they longer offer it and it was discontinued two years ago. I'm not sure if that is a good or bad thing.

Anyway, who offers the H4 conversion kit, a link anyone? It may be worth looking into.

I guess I was spoiled by drving a 2003 WRX for 19 months. The headlights in that brightened up the road far better than the GN. It also had fog lamps that worked well to. I spent $75 for headlights and $85 for fog lamps for it though. I got PIAA Xtreme Whites for headlights and they worked great. I got Super Plasma bulbs for the fog lamps and they took a dump on me after a few months. PIAA does offer the guaranty, but I didn't bother with that.

I'll take this weekend to play with it and see what I come up with. Maybe I can play with the angle of the housing. I think I'm currently using the Cool Blue.

Also, as an FYI, Walmart wil take back an opened package of bulbs. I bought Silverstars for my WRX and didn't like the output. I was able to return them with no problem.

pep boys. i dont rember the price since i bought them a year ago, and they warranty them also. i had water in one from a rock hitting it.

hey phillyturbosix i saw in your pics the clear headlight covers. where did you get them. i have been trying to find them for a long time?

Silverstars

I went ahead and got some Silverstars this weekend from Salvo Auto Parts, for $19.99 a piece. I put these in my low beams and moved the Cool Blue to the high beams. This set up is pretty nice. The Silverstars light up the road nice. During the day the lights reflect blue, from the tint of the bulbs, but at night the lights appear to be almost white. These are not as white as the luxury car headlights, by any means, but a far better solution than the stock sealed beams.

I'm still interested in an HID conversion, but I'll have to look into that further before I decide on anything.

9003 vs H4 Bulbs

Originally posted by GNVenom
Don't use any other headlamp conversion except the ones that use the H4 bulb. The H4 is a removeable bulb that has two filaments, one shielded by an internal shield...that's the low beam. Once you convert to H4 headlamps, call me. I have an HID conversion for that application available.

-John Spina
www.casperselectronics.com

www.gnspyder.com

John -

What is the HID conversion you offer for the H4's?

I'm not sure if there is a difference between the 9003's and the H4's. I did a search and it looks like the the H4 is the european equivalent to the 9003. I actually was running H4's in my high beams and did a side-by-side comparision of the two types. Other than the difference in the color of the glass the two bulbs were identical, 55W/60W.

http://www.sylvaniaperformanceshop.com/performanceshop/productenlarged.asp?peid=34&pid=250724

H4
http://www.sylvaniaperformanceshop.com/performanceshop/productenlarged.asp?peid=34&pid=298199

I heard back from the dealer I got the headlight converion I'm currently running. They said the price of the kit nearly doubled, so they stopped carrying it.

Them: "The price more than doubled on the kit which made it not worth us carrying any longer."

There's a rebate offered through Sylnia's site through 10.02.04.

https://www.costore.com/performanceshop/layout2/Rebate-USAToday.jpg

Someone used to sell a headlight conversion kit on here a couple years ago. Do a SEARCH in the PARTS FOR SALE section.

Originally posted by WakkoSS
That kit you have listed doesn't work for the sealed beam Regal's, BTW.

WakkoSS -

I'm not sure if you were referring to my "kit" or not. But I did a headlight conversion that replaces the sealed beam enclosures with housing that use 9003 bulbs.

do the h4/h1 conversion. h4 bulbs and leses on the outside (hi/lo) and h1 on the inside (hi). ive got the hella's that i bought off someone here. those combined with caspers headlight hotwire kit make for impressive lighting. the lows alone are better than the lows plus fog/driving lights on my 97 gtp. when i flip the highs on its like daylight in front of me. excellent beam pattern and white light.

Correct me if im wrong, but HID stands for High Intensity Discharge, This is an option that is considered a luxury. If your thinking of the "zenon" bulbs that some cheap companies offer (the ones ricers are all over) those are not HID. HID setups run extremely high prices some setups in the thousands of dollars, this is due to having to not only get special bulbs, but also getting balasts to support those bulbs. The bulb itself is not actually a bulb, rarther it is a spark that is shot through zenon gas kinda like the huge bulbs that you see in a store, except you normally can not replace a cars HID "bulb" rather you have to have the ballast fix. This information is what i have gotten from HELLA representatives, the same company that makes high performance lighting for things such as baja runners, and sand rails and off road truck, the kits that they sell for these kinds of vehicles cost well into a grand.

actually that was my GN.. :) I got it from john (redregalT)
here in fact. he makes sweet covers..

Originally posted by mybuick
hey phillyturbosix i saw in your pics the clear headlight covers. where did you get them. i have been trying to find them for a long time?