GN Collector Vehicle Registration "How to" - New Jersey

GNregistry

Hey Billy T, can you help me out for new GN owner

============================
My name is Thomas from New Jersey.

I bought my 1st Grand National last week and have since discovered that the registration requirements over here have changed in the past couple of years. I have all of the information the DMV requires except for some type of official verification that the Grand National was produced in limited quantity.

(I am registering the car as a Collector Vehicle)

Specifically that part of the application process states:

All applicants must submit evidence from either the manufacturer, a recognized car club (on letterhead) or collector organization that the vehicle applying for Collector Vehicle Status was issued in a limited edition quantity or that a limited quantity of the original production run remains.

After a fairly frustrating afternoon on the phone with local DMV and the one located in the State Capitol, it looks like the most direct way for me is to take a ride over to the capital. Hopefully there will be someone there with expertise. (I was told by one agent that the car had to registered normally first and then subsequently be registered again as a collector vehicle unless I could prove that it had been previously registered as a collector vehicle in New Jersey) Yikes!

I'm hoping that your club can provide to me the documentation the DMV is requesting; I haven't been able to verify that it is actually required by any of the guys in my local clubs out here as none of them have recently registered a collector vehicle. But I'd rather be able to provide as much information as possible.

Please find all the information I have available for my vehicle, unfortunately it isn't much as I'm trying to find the original owner with hopes of recovering some of the car's history. The car is presently at my mechanic's garage being worked on, a trunk kit was recently installed and I don't have access to the RPO tags.

I am the 3rd owner and the previous owner had practically no paperwork, receipts available.

Thanks in advance for any help or direction you may provide.

VIN 1G4GJ1179HP456932

Name Thomas Emery
State New Jersey
Zip Code 07470

Phone Number(s) (973)-476-0078
Dealership/City, State Vehicle Purchased West Caldwell, New Jersey
Mileage 36,789
GNX Clone Fender Flares, GNX Clone Fender Engine Vent Louvers, GNX Clone VDO Dashboard Gauges

Thomas,
Go to Turbo Regal Web Site ,print the figures from the production page,send a pic of your VIN,trunk label, and proof of collector insurance(state farm or other big names aren't eligible due to the fact that they have no mileage limitations. along with a check I believe was for 5 bucks and wait.Took them @2 weeks to send me the voucher for the insp.sticker.
As far as the registration goes I registered it as you normally would.The registration card remains the same,it's the inspection process which is waived.I think the DMV guy was confused(wow,imagine that:rolleyes: )thinking you wanted to register the car with collector PLATES which is a whole nuther process which I believe '87 is ineligible for due to it's age,or lack of.If you haven't already American collectors Insurance out of Cherry Hill will insure a 1987 year vehicle,and it's reasonably priced with a 5000 mile per year limit.These are the procedures I did 3 years ago with mine...

I have state farm insurance with mileage limitations, :mad:

Thats what the state wants to see,thats the reason they want a copy of your declaration page to see that there's a limit on yearly mileage.Originally we called High Point and were told they would give NADA retail if there was an accident and they also claimed that most of the larger company's don't have mile limitations,thats the reason we went with American collectors ins.

First get collector car insurance. The insurance company doesn't care how you register the car. Once you get that, register the car in the normal fashion, it'll be easier. Now start your collector car registration.

The only benefit I see from collector car registration is that you're exempt from emissions. You still have to go to inspection for safety checks.

IMHO: The collector car registration is not worth it. I would wait out the 25yr and get the Historic plate (QQxxxxx). With QQ plates, then you're exempt from everything. With QQ plates, you can only can drive the car for educational and exhibition purposes only :rolleyes: . I never stopped a person with QQ except to check out the car :biggrin:

I don't know if they'll accept the gnttype.org facts and figures. I did not have to do this when I went for mine. I did everything through the mail, you don't go the DMV office.

Once you get all your info together, then DMV will send you a voucher. You take the voucher to a NJ DMV inspection station and go to the end of the line. They inspect your car and give you a special triangle inspection sticker that gets affixed to the windshield.

Collector car info from NJ DMV:
State of New Jersey - Motor Vehicle Commission

07470 = Wayne, NJ which is about 25min from me. If you need any assistance let me know.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

move to MN where all you have to do to get collector plates is have a car that's 20 years old and a check for $39.95.. you get collector plates that are good forever- no annual registration- with no real mileage limitations or restrictions on useage. also, we have no safety inspections or emissions tests on anything ever.

might be cheaper for some people living in TAX LAND like Maine and California to rent an apt, register car there and live in another state... no emissions, lower registration fees and etc... I would like to move, but I have personal plates from 1988, yes it would be cheaper to register as collector, but I like my plates, 22 years...

I dropped state farm because they couldn't insure my mustang as a collector vehicle for a decent price... I was told it was over $5000 a year. I told them to pound sand... Try grundy. $150 year. I have my 86 regal with a soon to be 8-71 bbc .. By the time that is done.. it should be a QQ reg. it is still in the rebuilding stages...

The collector registration is nice.. you get regular tags and an exempt card for inspection. I live in south jersey so I go to the Ancora inspection site and go to the special vehicle inspections line. Horn, Headlight and trip/odometer mileage is all they check. you give them the DMV collector voucher card, license registration and insurance card.. and you get your inspection triange exempt sticker.. The reason why they are so tough to get now, is that there was a religious organization ( which I will leave nameless) that had advertised this way to get a clunker passed without inspection was to register them as a collector vehicle... Thanks to that synagogue... (opps!) I have friends who work as DMV inspectors and say it was a scam... So the state cracked down and made the requirements stricter.

You can get the collector voucher at any DMV.. you don't have to travel to Trenton to do that... unless they changed the rules again in NJ...
I wouldn't doubt it.....WTF?!?!

Yeah I noticed some "collector tags" running around Lakewood lately...:D But read somewhere,think it was here that DMV has ours cars on a list of approved collector status.

While reading this thread I realized that I sent my collector renewal to Trenton without a check for the fee. Sh!t. It's due the end of June. Looks like I'll be standing in line at the DMV today......

I've had collector registration on the car for almost 6 years now. When I first did it, it was very easy. They didn't ask for anything other than the declaration page of the policy. Renewals from there on out are cake.

Jim